Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I forgot to mention that Trent could just name the game "Planescape EE". Look ma, no Torment!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Both the Enhanced Editions as well as any NWN versions of the old IE games is such a waste of time and effort IMO. The games are modern enough that they don't really need an "enhanced" UI and the 2D graphics still look great on modern monitors if you increase resolution (using the Widescreen Mod if needed). Only BG1 needs some enhancing, but that can be done easily with a few free mods (BGT, Widescreen, BG1 NPC Project and SCS).

I wish Trents and modders would rather spend their resources on making something new with the IE engine, instead of at best possibly creating a marginally better game, or in the case of NWN porting already near perfect games to its inferior engine. The main point about NWN was to create your own adventures, and for just that NWN was superior to IE.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Both the Enhanced Editions as well as any NWN versions of the old IE games is such a waste of time and effort IMO. The games are modern enough that they don't really need an "enhanced" UI and the 2D graphics still look great on modern monitors if you increase resolution (using the Widescreen Mod if needed). Only BG1 needs some enhancing, but that can be done easily with a few free mods (BGT, Widescreen, BG1 NPC Project and SCS).

I wish Trents and modders would rather spend their resources on making something new with the IE engine, instead of at best possibly creating a marginally better game, or in the case of NWN porting already near perfect games to its inferior engine. The main point about NWN was to create your own adventures.
Then he would have to fill 50 hours with his derp. He isn't creative enough even for that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Obsidian bought a substantial portion of IWD assets, e.g. spell icons and other graphics, so any IWD shit would need them to... oh, I suppose they'll just make all new icons that look like Apple iOS + buttons from the animal noises telephones you give little kids, I see

waywardOne

Arcane

I wish Trents and modders would rather spend their resources on making something new with the IE engine, instead of at best possibly creating a marginally better game, or in the case of NWN porting already near perfect games to its inferior engine. The main point about NWN was to create your own adventures.

When BGEE was first discovered/announced (March '12?), this was my first argument against it on principle. If you think you've got the talent -- gameplay, literary, and artistic -- to have the hubris to try to enhance a seminal game like Baldur's Gate, why not make something entirely original?

Rake

Arcane
Obsidian bought a substantial portion of IWD assets, e.g. spell icons and other graphics, so any IWD shit would need them to... oh, I suppose they'll just make all new icons that look like Apple iOS + buttons from the animal noises telephones you give little kids, I see
For all our bashing, i don't think Obsidian and inXile dislike Trent or they would block him for no reason. As for competition, the same could said between themselves. And that obvioulsy isn't true with Obsidian helping inXile and them sharing tips and tools. They want to create a market for these type of games (even if it could be argued that Oster's scams are counterproductive).
And competition!!!!!!!!!!????????????? With Beamdog? Realy?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

When BGEE was first discovered/announced (March '12?), this was my first argument against it on principle. If you think you've got the talent -- gameplay, literary, and artistic -- to have the hubris to try to enhance a seminal game like Baldur's Gate, why not make something entirely original?
The problem with this argument is that BG is not seminal, it's basically a baby's first crpg for a huge generation of gamers so it's not really surprising that some random dumbfuck among them thought he can "enhance" it when he grew up.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The problem with this argument is that BG is not seminal, it's basically a baby's first crpg for a huge generation of gamers so it's not really surprising that some random dumbfuck among them thought he can "enhance" it when he grew up.

But it has already been enhanced by the mods I mentioned and others.
If the original BG1 was the only alternative then BG EE would have been needed.

Last edited:

Kitako

Arcane
I wish Trents and modders would rather spend their resources on making something new with the IE engine
Looking at the new content added in BGEE, I'd rather Trent to go plant potatoes instead.

Regarding modders, there are some really good fellows out there, but a complete new story/campaign/game is not so easily made, nor is some proper C&C. There are way more good modders than good writers. At least I'm talking about the NWN modding scene, the one I know most. There are good new adventures but I can remembers details only about few of them.
I'm hoping too to see some new content made by good modders, crossing finger for Larian's editor.

I honestly didn't try any new modded content in IE games (beside maybe a sorcerer NPC in BG2, can't remember), so I may be talking shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trent wants to remake IWD with BG2EE's ruleset or something.

Edit:
Twitter
Forum
The fuck?!
It should be done the other way around. Remake BGII with IWDII ruleset, ffs. That would be an improvement. And one that has not been done by mods yet (I know there's an effort, but let's face it, it will probably never be finished).

waywardOne

Arcane
So edgy... if you only knew the definition of "seminal". Let me help you:

having a strong influence on ideas, works, events, etc., that come later : very important and influential

There's countless threads, posts, and articles spanning 14+ years supporting this, and nearly zero disputing it. You clearly don't have the capacity to argue against it since you don't understand the only key word in the statement. I'd also point out that despite his arrogance and incompetence, Oster isn't a random dumbfuck in relation to BG. You're just beyond hope. Thanks for making the first post I notice from you the last I have to see.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Really you guys are flipping out about him saying that? You know he's been saying he wanted to do EEs for all the Infinity Engine games. He's also mentioned wanting to do remakes for the KOTOR games, the Ultima series, X wing, and a ton of other games. Not even mentioned wanting to do BG3. Of course I remember him saying they were gathering a team to build their own engine to make isometric RPGs with but considering they are having problems being successful remaking games with built in reputations I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

The fuck?!
It should be done the other way around. Remake BGII with IWDII ruleset, ffs. That would be an improvement. And one that has not been done by mods yet (I know there's an effort, but let's face it, it will probably never be finished).

IcewindGate 2 was a mod, and a very troubled one. The problem is that converting a heavily-modified 2nd Edition game to a stripped down D&D 3.0 ruleset quickly became difficult. Converting over things such as saving throws and bonuses from items involved a lot of judgment calls from the modders. Some things just couldn't be translated well, like certain enemies, or high-level spellcasters having high Concentration scores that allow them to be nigh-uninterrupted in their spell-slinging. Other things became really hard to deal with, like how to implement meta-magic with BG2's plethora of high-level casters (spoiler: it was done poorly) This is to say nothing of some of the Dumb Shit™ that the modders put in, like all Golems having enough levels in Rogue to dish out Sneak Attack damage in plain sight.

To me, such a mod makes zero sense...BG2 is a game rooted in the Second Edition rules; trying to translate was a mess. And for what? Skills that won't have any checks in game (or even further encourage dumping all your points into the few combat-oriented ones)? Removal of 2E's fun multi/dual class system for 3E's shitty one? The white-knuckle excitement of having your Fighters be able to click Flurry/Power-Attack before returning to mere pawns of the dice? Metamagic featsare about the only benefit, and I think BG2 spellcasters have enough toys already.

A better use of time would be making better content built specifically for IWD2. Make a lot of the "boss fights"/set-piece-encounters less shitty and cut down on the mobs of meleed00ds in slightly different flavors (maybe even give them interesting abilities). That's a mod I'd like to see.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So edgy... if you only knew the definition of "seminal". Let me help you:

having a strong influence on ideas, works, events, etc., that come later : very important and influential

There's countless threads, posts, and articles spanning 14+ years supporting this, and nearly zero disputing it. You clearly don't have the capacity to argue against it since you don't understand the only key word in the statement. I'd also point out that despite his arrogance and incompetence, Oster isn't a random dumbfuck in relation to BG. You're just beyond hope. Thanks for making the first post I notice from you the last I have to see.
So aggressive... Seminal carries an obviously positive meaning, while BG's influence in a hindsight is mostly that instead of more Fallout-like games, crpgs evolved to give us more romances, storyfagness and rt combat. And I don't really care for your 14+ years of people praising it, sorry for having my own opinion, the game is just not that good. Like I said, that game was an entry point to crpgs for many young people and so they seem to carry a lot of emotional weight attached to it, it's not like I have to point far for examples. But it mostly lucked out with time of release, and they made an astute decision switching it from rts to crpg.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To me, such a mod makes zero sense...BG2 is a game rooted in the Second Edition rules; trying to translate was a mess. And for what? Skills that won't have any checks in game (or even further encourage dumping all your points into the few combat-oriented ones)? Removal of 2E's fun multi/dual class system for 3E's shitty one? The white-knuckle excitement of having your Fighters be able to click Flurry/Power-Attack before returning to mere pawns of the dice? Metamagic featsare about the only benefit, and I think BG2 spellcasters have enough toys already.
You're basically right that such a mod would not make too much sense, but I find the 3E system to be much better (mostly much better balanced) than any 2E. In any case, it would still make more sense than to port it the other way around.

A better use of time would be making better content built specifically for IWD2. Make a lot of the "boss fights"/set-piece-encounters less shitty and cut down on the mobs of meleed00ds in slightly different flavors (maybe even give them interesting abilities). That's a mod I'd like to see.
That's a mod we'd all like to see.

Xeon

Augur
If Trent decided to make an EE of ToEE would people approve or disapprove of it?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Please dear god don't let them get near Planescape.

Dear god please.

Any god, I don't care.

PLEASE!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom