Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

No! Unless maybe if you are a really low level noob I will not save your character if you do stupid shit. Living with your limitations is part of roleplaying a character, and so is not doing shit that's likely to get your character killed. Your character won't run away? Tough shit man, you're dead. Roll up a new one. Good riddance and Darwin award to that stupid orc barbarian who didn't want to run even after his hit points dropped below 3.

Vaarna said "killed randomly", because of dice rolls. Which means the character / player doesn't need to be acting retarded.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Gotta love the average Bioware forum users.

29eqijq.png

Angthoron

Arcane
Vaarna said "killed randomly", because of dice rolls. Which means the character / player doesn't need to be acting retarded.
Except I said nothing about randomness and dice, I'm talking about the dream system of that 4channer that would be purely narrative-driven models. Sure, if dice are involved, it changes things, but if not, you essentially have the adventure preplanned and fail-safe, unless someone intentionally fucks up. Sure, a DM could add failed attempts, but then the storyfag would be like WAH WHY YOU SINGLED ME OUT etc. I've 'rped' and watched others RP in mmos, and guess how many would injure/kill/threaten their mains with this pure-narrative roleplay? Maybe a handful out of hundreds, and they were all very disturbed or disturbing people outside roleplay, so that might say something. Suppose theoretically I can see it work , but only in rather close/agreeing groups, and even then I've seen forum RPGs fall apart due to too much scripting/control.

I'd like to hear some positive experience with pure narrative-driven 'rp' though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
japester

Ummm.....no.

Base defense was a cheap trick used by the original to artificially punish players who had gotten ahead of the difficulty curve. Rather than make the missions more challenging, they suddenly made you fight without warning in a place that played no such role up to that point. And once it happened, you put in measures so that it was never an issue again.

Firaxis realized this and cut it in favor of combat missions that continue to ramp up in difficulty. Everything you do to build up your forces in XCOM:EU is actually used in the tactical sessions. You aren't suddenly thrown a curve ball where your leftover forces/equipment are forced to fight. I fondly remember base defense missions, too, but once Firaxis spelled it out, I realized they were right.
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?147616-Our-base-is-attacked

Looks like moderators on 2Kforums are braindead.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Continuing the trend of filling half your screen with a gun model. And that's just the sidearms.
Actually I like that. The weapon model is very detailed and has proper toy like feeling. Real weapons, when they are correctly designed, have a proper toy like feeling. The only bad thing on that is the trigger which feels wrong (probably even unmovable).

MMXI

Arcane
A marvelous thing happened over at Rock Paper Shotgun this week.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/for...hallenge-and-depth-is-NOT-quot-nostalgia-quot

At the start of the thread:

Nalano said:
Who gave tabletop an open-ended monopoly on roleplaying? Gary Gygax made a ruleset, not a religion.

Defining RPGs by how closely they adhere to TT is like defining fantasy by how closely it adheres to Tolkien.

archonsod said:
QuantaCat said:
No, Im not. a character sheet should be what the character is about, in all its actions.
As championed by that ongoing famous RPG, Microsoft Excel.

archonsod said:
Silly thing there is that something like weapon accuracy isn't decided by the character. Nor is it decided by random chance. It's decided by ballistics, which is something a modern desktop can actually model. The reason for the character sheet was to provide an abstraction of real world interactions that the average human brain could cope with in a reasonable time frame. Given we're at the point we can model real world interactions in the spare capacity of the graphics card, it makes the whole thing somewhat redundant.
The only reason to ride a steam train in the 21st century is because you like steam trains, which is fair enough. But trying to claim they're something fundamental to the concept of rail transport or represent some halycon era of mass transit is sheer absurdity.

mashakos said:
Wizardry said:
You control the decision making of your character. You don't control how good they are at pulling off the required steps to execute your decisions.
lame!

Seriously, what does Role Playing have to do with Management sims? I always thought this line of thinking made sense with board games because of the limitations of the medium itself rather than a desire by "table top" game designers to keep players removed from the actual actions of the characters they play.

At the end of the thread:

NathanH said:
It amuses me that Wizardry is always the one accused of nostalgia and living in the past, yet oddly has one of the most exciting visions of RPG possibilities on the forum...

QuantaCat said:
finally, someone realised. I realised this some time ago, and I am a believer of the way of the wizard(ry). It truly makes for interesting game design, and we do need a lot more of that.

b0rsuk said:
Chris Avellone, Obsidian and company seem to equate RPG games with a story. Wizardry has a point when he says cRPG games can be innovative without obsessing about story - focusing on new and interesting mechanics. I love interesting game mechanics.

arathain said:
The old school games that Wizardry loves had far more interesting things to say about what a character is able to do, and how to simulate that. It's a interesting aspect of computer simulation in gaming that has largely been left behind, and I agree that's a shame. A well designed system lets you look at a list of statistics and see a believable person, as much or more so as Jennifer Hale doing the voice work.

SirKicksalot said:
Sometimes I daydream about the videogame stuff I would do if I were a rich dude. One of those fantasies involves giving Wizardry lots of money and any support needed. I want to see what game he would make.

Sparkasaurusmex said:
Whatever works...

After reading this thread I have to agree, in general, with Wizardry.

MoLAoS said:
So who else is up for forming a disciples of Wizardry club?

Stellar Duck said:
This has been a pretty interesting read, if for nothing else, then the fact that Wizardry has basically finally convinced me he's in fact a hell of a lot more on the right track than the wrong (or a design dead end or whatever you want to call it).

:incline:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You're all fucking retarded, I hate this sort of argument and wish you'd all leave my genre alone

Fuck, I was having a semi-good day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: Overstrike --> Fuse debacle http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/always-independent-the-story-of-insomniac-games

“The game started out with a much more stylized and campy direction. We were actually going for something on the level of Ratchet & Clank, except with humans,” Allgeier said. “Maybe it was going to appeal to gamers who, we thought at the time, might be in their late teens. The industry’s changed quite a bit… We would focus test the game in front of a lot of gamers, and get their opinion. These are people that regularly play PlayStation 3 and Xbox games. We started to discover that everyone thought this was a game for their younger brother. We would hear this from 12-year-olds. So we decided that we needed to make a game that had an older appeal.”

:x

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
He claims he doesn't support retail games that requires Digital distribution platforms to run, yet he's got ME3 registered to his account, which uses Origin to run. He could have bought it digitally, but he's still supporting a game that requires a digital platform to run when bought retail.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Looks like "Must have teal!" is sweeping to games too.

What game is that?

BF3. It runs the Frostbite 2 engine, which is going to power DA3 as well. If you're planning on getting DA3, expect everything to be blue/grey and every time someone casts a spell or you run past a lantern your eyes will burn right out of your skull.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Looks like "Must have teal!" is sweeping to games too.

What game is that?

BF3. It runs the Frostbite 2 engine, which is going to power DA3 as well. If you're planning on getting DA3, expect everything to be blue/grey and every time someone casts a spell or you run past a lantern your eyes will burn right out of your skull.

Good thing I don't have any intentions of touching that radioactive waste.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I believe this thing is called "filmic tonemapping"

To me the process looks like one of blending everything to grey and desaturating it.
In addition, I think this post-processing filter strives to give the rendered frame equal luminosity.
It's pretty retarded really, since the renders without the filters look a hundred times better.

EDIT: Not to mention, our eyes don't work like that...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, DICE was trying to 'innovate' BF3 by changing the visuals.

Don't really think there is anything quite as ugly as BF3 out there, currently. There are so many shitty lighting and other visual effects always obscuring your screen that it really becomes a nightmare to play. That's if you can deal with the fact that it's basically a 'realistic' CoD.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck that shit. It's time to the play the latest Intelligent Role Playing Game

After a four year wait, the legendary 'Master Chief' returns for the continuation of the 'Halo' saga that starts 6 November.

In an age of heightened entertainment and sharing, the game team set the stage for 'Halo 4' by launching on Friday, a live action digital clip 'Forward Unto Dawn'.

Playing on its own YouTube channel,'Forward Unto Dawn' offers the potential of new converts to the 'Halo' following, with a perspective to the beginning of the human and Covenant war, and the events leading into 'Halo 4'.

Helmed by Hollywood actors and a production team who've worked on titles such as 'Smallville' and 'Spartacus', there's little doubt that both the curious and fans alike, will be drawn in to the tale that will unfold weekly.

'Halo' followers will also get to peek into the 'Halo Infinity Multiplayer' experience before the game launches.

Those who love sci-fi, will have a soft spot for 'Halo' which has started taking pre-orders for the fourth generation of the game, that runs from a S$599 bundle set to the no-frills game that's $S69.

But of course fans are probably already riled at 'Halo 4' being dubbed a "no-frills game" since the exclusive creation by 343 Industries is anything but simple.

:rage:

Set nearly five years after the events of 'Halo 3' in a newly envisioned, epic sci-fi adventure, 'Halo 4' offers all that has hooked players to the game, and more.

'Requiem' is the new world that 'Halo 4' will take players to for their latest mission that will offer a vast arsenal of futuristic human and alien weaponry, abilities, and vehicles.

There's also a deadly new class of technologically advanced foes, the Prometheans that will call for innovative new combat tactics.

Gamers can choose to play in 'Campaign' mode where they can take on the role of the legendary 'Master Chief' or a 'Spartan' in War Games and Spartan Ops, a series of additional story-driven cooperative missions

As in the last release of 'Halo', there should be new maps and battle locations in 'Halo 4', but what should be interesting is the new multiplayer experience with 'Halo Infinity Multiplayer'.

The development team has described the latest introduction to the game as "groundbreaking" and an experience that "will redefine the award-winning series and revolutionize the way people think about storytelling and multiplayer gameplay".

The 'Halo' series which has sold more than 43 million games to date, generating nearly US$3 billion in total franchise sales, draws not just on the intelligent role-playing game, but also its rich graphics.

:yeah:
In 'Halo 4', the team at 343 Industries has gone for an overhaul that promises "the most visually striking and immersive 'Halo' game to date" along with new music and audio effects.

There's little doubt that fans will be delighted when unpacking their game boxes, but they could be disappointed that the game made exclusively for Microsoft's Xbox will require some elements such as 'Spartan Ops', to be unlocked with an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.

A New Dawn with Halo 4

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Jesus Christ. And with that I think the definition of RPG has finally hit rock-bottom.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Its just another sub-genre, rpgs are equal to vidya games in terms of definition nowadays because retards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom