Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't finish any games

Voltigeur

Novice
Anyone else have this problem?
I legitimately can count the games that I've actually finished and played to the end on one hand.

Literally every single game, no matter what genre, gets DROPPED 75 % into it.
I just get so bored and I feel like I've seen everything by that point... Even the games I really enjoy and that I've played countless times, I drop just a bit before the ending.

I've played Deus Ex easily 20 times by now, and I've never fully finished it once in my entire life. How pathetic is that?

Surely I cannot be the only one with this problem, right?

Poseidon00

Arcane
More often than not I will drop a game halfway through or most of the way through and forget about it for like 6 months. Then my interest will be renewed and i'll end up finishing it once I pick it up again. I can almost never play an RPG all the way through without taking a break at some point.

Falksi

Arcane
On my first playthrough of Deus Ex I finished it, then played it straight through again it was so good.

If it's a quality game, 30-60 hours is easily finishable for me. Anything longer than that does start to drag a bit, although I can easily return to a game I like & play bonud/side quests for another 20 hours or so.

Big Wrangle

For me, one way to mitigate it would be to add some variety to your playtime. Like say, taking a small break from Underrail to play a bit of Devil May Cry.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
For me, one way to mitigate it would be to add some variety to your playtime. Like say, taking a small break from Underrail to play a bit of Devil May Cry.

Burning out on a game, maybe because of the dozens of hours grinding on it, might cause people to drop it. Spreading your attention to different games helps.

Disciple

Savant
I believe the ready availability of pretty much any video game one can think of (compared to earlier times) contributes to such a behaviour. Personally, I am more of a quitter than a completionist myself, and I find that sticking to a selected few video games at any given time is a necessary compromise so as not to be tempted to end up dropping the game at hand altogether after reaching the first stages of boredom or disenchantment with it. Taking notes and keeping separate back-ups of the game's save files helps as well when resuming interesting games you dropped once.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Anyone else have this problem?
I legitimately can count the games that I've actually finished and played to the end on one hand.

Literally every single game, no matter what genre, gets DROPPED 75 % into it.
I just get so bored and I feel like I've seen everything by that point... Even the games I really enjoy and that I've played countless times, I drop just a bit before the ending.

I've played Deus Ex easily 20 times by now, and I've never fully finished it once in my entire life. How pathetic is that?

Surely I cannot be the only one with this problem, right?

Sometimes there's a complex psychology going on when this happens. To me, I don't finish the games I like because I want to imagine that world is still alive and available to visit whenever I want. I don't want the illusion to end. Part of me knows there's no more advancement, no more gear upgrades, nothing left to explore, but I don't want to leave the world...

RolePlayer

Augur
Stop playing games other people have hyped and play games that fit your taste instead.

When you play a truly great game, you don't ever want it to end, and then it's over before you know it.

People have wrong concept of finishing gaems, it used to have as well to fortunately - it's no more.

Nowadays for me, game is finished once you consume its last fresh part.

E.g. Nu-Shadow Warrior is basically the same rinse and repeat katana centric borefest, with generic boss at the end of episode. Did I finish it by completing the last level? No, I did it much earlier, once I beat first episode.

Or Legend of Kage, the same shit goes over four seasons - just finish summer and there's nothing really new in autumn, winter and spring.

In retrospect, there weren't many gaems worth finishing to the very end.

Voltigeur

Novice
Sometimes there's a complex psychology going on when this happens. To me, I don't finish the games I like because I want to imagine that world is still alive and available to visit whenever I want. I don't want the illusion to end. Part of me knows there's no more advancement, no more gear upgrades, nothing left to explore, but I don't want to leave the world...

Aside from the obvious "game fatigue", this seems to be the thing that is preventing me from finishing games I really love too.
It's honestly kind of depressing to think about, but I guess I just can't say goodbye to a truly great game.
I just wish it'd go on forever.

cosmicray

Savant
Burning out on a game, maybe because of the dozens of hours grinding on it, might cause people to drop it. Spreading your attention to different games helps.
I'm having a reversed effect. I'm playing several games at once now and I can't finish any of it. Probably shouldn't do that. At least do only 1 per genre. Or 1 long game and other MP or small/indie. Doing several RPGs at once is a nightmare.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'm having a reversed effect. I'm playing several games at once now and I can't finish any of it. Probably shouldn't do that. At least do only 1 per genre. Or 1 long game and other MP or small/indie. Doing several RPGs at once is a nightmare.

People's milage will vary, I guess.

Good idea about one long game and another short one. I'm playing a long RPG now and jumping between and that something I can hop in and out of.

Swigen

Arbiter
A lot of it is just being honest with yourself and saying, “Know what? I just really don’t like this game and I think it sucks complete balls!”. Step two is going to the RPG Codex’s Best RPGs 2019 thread to post about it. Say, “Guys, I just don’t understand how Deus Ex made the top 10, it sucks complete balls!”.

cosmicray

Savant
At some point you should just really quit the game if you're not having fun, especially if it's really long. But it's different when you're distracting yourself with other games/life.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
whats the mystery? Most games suck. I have trouble watching most films in their entirety too, because most of them suck. The older you get, the worse this becomes, ive even taken to walking out of cinemas if the film is crap. Last film i walked out of was the dreadfully boring and flaccid but apparently appreciated by morons everywhere, halloween 2018. As for games, i've refunded more of them than I've kept over the past 5 years.

cosmicray

Savant
If you're not seeing every new movie that comes out, you can safely choose those that have a higher chance for you to enjoy. I thought I had a shitty taste because I enjoyed most of the movies I watched(old and "new"). Then I started to be less picky and yeah, shit came through right away.

I think one of the main reasons people drop games in the middle nowadays is that the gameplay mechanics are too simple and can't support the game to the end. Novelty wears of too quickly.

Dux

Arcane
People have wrong concept of finishing gaems, it used to have as well to fortunately - it's no more.

Nowadays for me, game is finished once you consume its last fresh part.

In retrospect, there weren't many gaems worth finishing to the very end.

True, to a certain extent. However, if you do decide to consistently stop playing when you start feeling bored then you might miss out on some memorable experiences. A lot of games have a slump midway before picking up pace again. A lot of games also have really bad final thirds. It's one of those situations where you'll never truly know if you walk away before it's done. One example would be PS:T. That game has some late-game sections which aren't exactly stellar but if you stop playing there you'd miss on a crucial part of the Torment experience. Things like that.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I have the same thing, but only with games I really like. I do usually finnish them on the third run or so. I suspect it's because I just don't want them to end :negative:. When I don't like-like a game I'll just blow through to the end no problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom