Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Child of Light - JRPG from Ubisoft

Shadenuat

Arcane
Broken Age didn't even want to be a game. Child of Light on the other hand is very efficiently designed, using it's engine potential to the max to create it's own very unique feel.

Eyeball

Arcane
Got this based on the glowing recommendations of everyone. It's....very pretty, and fun to see a game written entirely in verse. Combat and platforming both seem sort of popamole so far. Gotta sink some time into this before being able to declare it shit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it's a nice game but it would have been better if they slapped some more metroidvania elements on top of it and had a good look at aquaria what puzzles you can do with flightlike movement.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I doubt they had the budget to make Symphony of the Night out of it, and with that story pace, I don't think it would have even worked. I'm kinda wondering what their budget was actually, since M&MX developers had to recycle stuff from Heroes VI and best they got from Ubi was probably a garage with a heater and free pizza.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt they had the budget to make Symphony of the Night out of it, and with that story pace, I don't think it would have even worked. I'm kinda wondering what their budget was actually, since M&MX developers had to recycle stuff from Heroes VI and best they got from Ubi was probably a garage with a heater and free pizza.

Not quite the same situation. M&MX was contracted to an independent developer, while this game seems to have been made at Ubisoft Montreal - home of Assassin's Creed and Far Cry, the very heart of the the popamole. I'm sure the budget was still small, but nobody there is starving for pizza. ;)

Shadenuat

Arcane
the very heart of the the popamole
Huh. Well, I...
then
4958715+_5634b58dccf22a6b89a653151f87a27e.png
Glory to Popamole!!11

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/child-of-light-patch-will-change-difficulty-to-casual-expert/

The difficulty modes in Child of Light will change from "normal" and "hard" to "casual" and "expert" in a coming patch, Writer Jeffrey Yohalem told Joystiq during a livestream.

"In a patch that's coming up, we're changing the names to 'casual' and 'expert,'" Yohalem said. "This has been an issue, obviously, that some people have had, and I think that the word 'normal' is a misrepresentation .... Or, rather, implying that there's one way to play that's normal is, I think, too strong."

:retarded:

Yohalem described the new modes as follows: "Casual is for people that want to experience the world and experience the adventure without having hard combat, and then expert is for people who love RPGs and who want to really have a challenge."

For now, Yohalem suggested that people familiar with role-playing games should play Child of Light on the "hard" difficulty. During the stream, he offered a bevy of behind-the-scenes information about Child of Light's development, including the consideration that went into deciding the gender of the characters, particularly the jester Rubella.

"It was one of the major things that I insisted on, and there were discussions of making both jesters guys. I said, 'No, no, no, she has to be a girl. It has to be a brother and a sister.' And we stuck it out," Yohalem said. At our prodding, he elaborated: "There was this sense that Pat [Plourde], the creative director, had, that it's about the camaraderie between two brothers, and that two brothers have this intense relationship that a brother and a sister couldn't have. And I said, 'BS.' I think that a brother and a sister could totally have that relationship, and that I think, more importantly, that just because a lot of entertainment has portrayed brothers as being closer than a brother and a sister, doesn't make it that way."

Shadenuat

Arcane
Changing normal to easy, hard to normal and adding third, harder difficulty & calling it "hard" would fit what they want to do better.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yohalem described the new modes as follows: "Casual is for people that want to experience the world and experience the adventure without having hard combat, and then expert is for people who love RPGs and who want to really have a challenge."
I wonder how much trouble he'd find himself in if he said something along the lines of "casual is for tards who accidentally stumbled upon our game, and expert is for our non-tarded intended audience."

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, he would be telling a lie that alienated most of the people who play the game, so I guess he'd be in quite a lot of trouble.

Dyskolos

Cipher
"This has been an issue, obviously, that some people have had, and I think that the word 'normal' is a misrepresentation .... Or, rather, implying that there's one way to play that's normal is, I think, too strong."

I hope more difficulty selection menus of the future come outfitted with critiques of language politics.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Shit is awesum so far, although I just started. I've been waiting for something like this for a long while. Crooked Bee who is in charge of Kodek Kritical Review?

Yes, you can write the review. :smug:

Mrowak Perhaps we could even co-write the review, since I've been thinking of doing it myself! What do you think?

(Just need to get the South Park review done, which shouldn't take more than a few days.)

Gladly, although that means I need to get back to playing pronto. Didn't have much time for that lately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since this is an Ubisoft game, make sure the review contains the phrase "must buy and must play". :troll:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Installing now. Betta be good.

Edit
Wtf, uPlay points overload. They had previously 100 points max per game that you could earn and spend, in this one there's 650 points to earn if I counted right. And it seems rewards are for the most part consumables Facebook style.
meh. bad Ubi

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Some of the rhyming quotes from this game are already going viral.

What is love known by?
When it hurts to say goodbye.

and

As family, we overcome together,
Any obstacle, now and forever.

are currently trending. This is very nice PR for them.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ideal game to play on console, so my wife can hear all the beautiful rymes, will wait for proper discount on PSN.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Ideal game to play on console, so my wife can hear all the beautiful rymes, will wait for proper discount on PSN.

There is very little voice acting, but the game encourages you to read the dialogue aloud.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

There is very little voice acting, but the game encourages you to read the dialogue aloud.

That's a shame, some inclined voice overs go a long way to extend my enjoyment of these types of games, especially while sitting 3 meters from the TV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom