Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
BROS DON'T PLOT AGAINST BROS IN COLD BOLD BRO

Doing a King of Sweden game... I noticed two countesses with each other as heirs and no children/husbands... Had to send some guys in with knives to take care of business and take those counties for myself. I've exerted my claim on Norway while they were busy in England and had a rebellion going on, and have taken some of the pagan provinces to the North while getting a nice ally in the HRE (although the HRE is severely overpowered... that needs to be fixed). Also, I agree on the assassination front. It's just too easy to do (although I personally have never felt victim to an attempt, it is only 1090). I'll actually have some time to play this weekend, at which time I'll also be going to see Macbeth, so that should get me in the mood for some knives in the dark. Also, yeah... fuck having too many sons. Just gives headaches for the next ruler and penalties for when you don't give them lands.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So about this game series...

It seems to me the main difference, or appeal of this over Total War is that this very much focuses on internal politics and power struggles whereas Total War is very "external," dealing more with conflicts between nations and the like. I think that's cool and it's something I'd always wished Total War games would focus on more. But I'm still not sure about this real time thing. Seems to me that that always by its nature lessens the amount of options you can have. Also, is it just one continuous grand campaign? I've played other RTS's, but the key there is that they are always split up into smaller more digestible missions. So how exactly does this shit work? And how long does a campaign last? Are we talking Total War length here?

Sell me on this shit bros. I'm willing to give this series a chance, but I need more motivation. Tell me why it's the best thing ever.

XenomorphII

Prophet

It seems to me the main difference, or appeal of this over Total War is that this very much focuses on internal politics and power struggles whereas Total War is very "external," dealing more with conflicts between nations and the like. I think that's cool and it's something I'd always wished Total War games would focus on more. But I'm still not sure about this real time thing. Seems to me that that always by its nature lessens the amount of options you can have. Also, is it just one continuous grand campaign? I've played other RTS's, but the key there is that they are always split up into smaller more digestible missions. So how exactly does this shit work? And how long does a campaign last? Are we talking Total War length here?

Sell me on this shit bros. I'm willing to give this series a chance, but I need more motivation. Tell me why it's the best thing ever.

Read my LP.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...usader-kings-2-i-want-to-be-a-basileus.69371/

It might give you a better idea of what it is, then anything anyone can tell you.

EmoBunny

Savant

You're way too stuck on the real-time aspect. It's real time, but it's not an rts.

The historical reason for why France didn't expand into Iberia is the Pyrenees. Paradox games have never really tried to simulate the effect geography has on government, and instead we get various hackjob solutions to try and enforce "historical" behavior when the real historical incentives are missing from the game.
DOA map for EUIII has impassable mountain ranges, feels much better actually.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The historical reason for why France didn't expand into Iberia is the Pyrenees. Paradox games have never really tried to simulate the effect geography has on government, and instead we get various hackjob solutions to try and enforce "historical" behavior when the real historical incentives are missing from the game.
DOA map for EUIII has impassable mountain ranges, feels much better actually.
CK2 also has impassable mountains in places, though not the Pyrenees. But that's not really the problem, armies did cross the Pyrenees from time to time, it's the difficulty of exerting any permanent control on the other side of a mountain range I'd like to see included in the game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I still say it's better to keep your sons at home (hell, all close family at home) than give them shit. Bastards will backstab you at the drop of a hat.

oscar

Arcane
But I'm still not sure about this real time thing.

:lol:

When nothing is happening you just let the game run in real time (the smallest point of time being a day, what on the slowest setting takes about 5 seconds to pass and on the fastest passes in a single second). When something important happens and you have to make a decision (your king contemplates banging the cute maid, two armies meet and a battle begins etc) the game pauses and you choose what you do (i.e pick "fuck the maid" and you loose piety and a bastard pops up or in the case of the battle beginning you decide what other armies you wish to shuffle into the fray, whether to retreat or decide your men have got this and watch the battle unfurl).

When it's peacetime and your just chilling collecting taxes and waiting for your new port to build you probably run the game on a pretty high speed but when it's war or you've uncovered a plot to assassinate the King of France you'll probably slow it down and pause more frequently. This concept is probably familiar too you if you've ever played a Infinity Engine game. If your just trashing some rats in the basement, you won't need to be managing things very carefully and can just watch your fighter and paladin whack away. If your fighting the Arch-Necromancer of the Crypt of Doom your probably going to be juggling around health potions and deciding whether your wizard should be casting Cone of Cold or Summon Monster IV.

I was going to just call you a tard trying to turn this into a GRPG "what is the true nature of turn-based" aspie fest, but it occurred to me you might be the 0.1% of strategy gamers on the 'Dex who hasn't played a Paradox game.

tl;dr the system works and I've never heard of someone having a problem with it or even difficulty comprehending it

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I was going to just call you a tard trying to turn this into a GRPG "what is the true nature of turn-based" aspie fest, but it occurred to me you might be the 0.1% of strategy gamers on the 'Dex who hasn't played a Paradox game.
That would be correct. Should I have?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Teh horror. It would be a living hell to manage an empire, even the step from a Duchy to a Kingdom made things heat up a lot inside the Realm.

vicky 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ck2
That's a motherfucking lie.
you simply don't have the level of assburgers neccessary to understand why vicky 2 is the more sound game.
Hey, I love Vicky2, but come on man. Come on. Seriously. Come on.
I have the assburgers to truly appreciate Vicky 2, but I say CK2 is the best game Paradox has ever made.

Also bros, I'd say CK2 has the best province value system Paradox has made so fa, and the most balanced one. No more arbitrary base tax values that force you to conquest or hunting for neighbours pops/coal, since the new Holding mechanics allow you build up provinces with a lot more freedom and allows for smaller countries to build up a strong powerbase. Still no HoI3 combat though, which makes numbers as important as ever, though the intensity and large-scale nature of the warfare (+ more limited manpower) does mean strategy is way more important than in Vicky 2 and EU3.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If we could get a CK game with Mount&Blade combat, I wouldn't need to buy another game for a couple of years.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So my ruler at the moment is all kinds of fucked up.

He killed his Nephew to get on the throne and because the queen who was in charge was to old i had to accept it.
Now that is all fine because he is of my Dynasty and a good ruler, but he has so far impregnate 2 of this brothers wives and also tried to get into the pants of his daughter, but was shot down.

So now he is in a desperate fight vs Finland and his giant army Merc's because the bastard could not keep his dick in his pants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom