Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Compilation of Witcher 2 Inconsistencies *Spoilers Galore*

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Havoc said:
Where's the TL;DR? :M

Sorry, I forgot that on mah RPGCodex "redding's teh hard". Carry on, good sir.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Re: Compilation of Witcher 2 Inconsistencies *Spoilers Galor

Mrowak said:
Specimen 2.

In act 2 (Roche's path) when prompted by Roche about a small figurine Geralt immediately connects the dots and identifies it as Triss affacted by artifact compression. He hasn't seen the damn thing be immediately connects the statue with Triss for some reason. Dubious. What's more fun, in Iorveth's path having found the same figurine he fails to notice its strangeness and delivers it himself to Olsten. Way to go, bro!
what's even more fucked up is that the ambassador will tease you with already having triss' statuette immediately upon your arrival in the camp, even though the compression and delivery happen much later in the game. it's not a simple timing bug either since you don't get a chance to talk to him after you find out about the compression until you try to break into their camp in act 3.

Specimen 3.

What is more worrying is his statement he pacifies Geralt with - that the ambassador is heading to Loc Muin and that you will meet him there eventually. How does he know that?
where else would he go other than the most important political summit that will decide about how strong an opposition to nilfgaard the north will become? it's just not possible for triss or anyone for that matter to have information that would justify missing that event. the fact that she's a mage and foltest's former advisor pretty much mean that the most useful direct information they can get out of her will be of most use at the very same summit. and he wouldn't want to kill her until he gets home and the intelligence service had a chance to deep probe her.

Specimen 4.

You gotta love how the two Witchers picked timing when they attack Henselt in the camp. They just had to stumble upon you - the one guy who can foil their plans. You spend all that time doing subquest and shit in the ravines but those dudes just had to choose the moment you'd talk with Henselt to attack him. Hell, a few (gameplay) minutes back you are on your mission to recover artifacts in Aerdin. There's no way you could save the king while being there. But noooo, our 'kingslayers' have suicidal instincts after all. Remember kids - witchers are the most incompetent assassins in all Northern Kingdoms. They cannot into proper scouting.

And finally, the crowning.

Specimen 5.

During the fight with the 'assassins' they completely ignore their principal target - the king. Instead, they fight you, the dude that can make short work of them both. One more issue. Later on, you learn that you knew them. They were sort of your commrades. So why the hell are they so bent on killing you instead of their target I don't even. Even more puzzlingly - there are two of them. What stops them from splitting up - one engages you to buy the other the time needed to 'sanitize' Henselt. But nooo! We just must have epic boss fight. How I fucking hate consolish boss-battle design!!!
they cannot into proper attacking either, and tents are made out of concrete and cannot possibly be cut and entered from the back. you'd have thought people used to hunting the most dangerous monsters in the world would fucking appreciate the value of a proper diversion and have one of them sneak in while the other distracts geralt, but nooo. the whole scene is incredibly retarded.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
4 and 5. How about... they aren't assasins? Just witchers used to hunt and fight with monsters, not to assasinate people. Especially kings in their own camps full of soldiers. Oh, and fighting one-on-one with Geralt is suicide, they know it. They even want to have a fight with him (Detmold and looking in the brains of the dead).
Futhermore they aren't masterminds or intelligent, they're followers. Letho is the brains (and muscule) of the operation.

abija

Prophet
Oh, and fighting one-on-one with Geralt is suicide, they know it.
They consider his tehnique laughable but they are impressed with his results according to a journal you find.
An encounter with him could be seen as an interesting experience but surely not as a suicide.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Havoc said:
4 and 5. How about... they aren't assasins? Just witchers used to hunt and fight with monsters, not to assasinate people. Especially kings in their own camps full of soldiers.
everything that makes witchers good at hunting monsters makes them even better assassins.
plus hunting monsters is not, unlike in the games, about rushing a group of them and cutting everything to tiny bits. diversion and sneakiness are very important or you're wormfood, which sadly does not play any role in the game.
yet here you have two witchers that do not use any of their unique talents, tactics or knowledge and are generally behaving in a very retarded manner.
Futhermore they aren't masterminds or intelligent, they're followers. Letho is the brains (and muscule) of the operation.
before becoming kingslayers, they were witchers on the path who survived the witcher pogrom. you don't get to live that long hunting monsters while being a careless moron.

UserNamer

Cipher
I agree that the double assassins sequence was retarded, now that I think of it and after reading this thread.

I loved the game and the settings too, I would love a sequel where you have to really prepare and use diversions to kill monster and such. Are the books worth reading?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
UserNamer said:
I would love a sequel where you have to really prepare and use diversions to kill monster and such. Are the books worth reading?

AFAIK you can prepare baits for monsters even now. Though it's *very* optional. I guess placing some clues about the nature of monsters inhabiting a cave just outside its entrance would be an excellent solution.

As for the books, yes they are worth reading. Ufnortunately Gollancz went full derp and only published the first collection of short stories and the first novel. They don't appear to have plans on picking up with the other books in the forseeable future. There are fan translations of the second collection of short stories floating on the internets though.

UserNamer

Cipher
Storyfag said:
UserNamer said:
I would love a sequel where you have to really prepare and use diversions to kill monster and such. Are the books worth reading?

AFAIK you can prepare baits for monsters even now. Though it's *very* optional. I guess placing some clues about the nature of monsters inhabiting a cave just outside its entrance would be an excellent solution.

As for the books, yes they are worth reading. Ufnortunately Gollancz went full derp and only published the first collection of sh

I didn't know that. To be honest I discovered about the oils in chapter 3 even. Thinking about giving the game an insane run where I have to prepare carefully for each fight

I started reading the books I hope I'll enjoy them

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They cut down entire unit of Henselt's finest knights/lifeguards, who were not sleeping on their posts without raising any alert, if witcher was not present and deflect the knife and kicked the assasin out of tent using Aard the Henselt woudbe dead meat much sooner in my playthrou. They had to neutralise him before getting to the king and they were not divinding their forces/turning their backs wich woud be fatal. How their opus moderanti was retarded? And you can indeed not get amulet or being unable to upgrade it, C&C.
I have more reservation to assasination of Foltest good bodyguard woud check the monk before alllowing the protected VIP to mingle with him, but even Thaler said that Geralt M: fucked up this.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron

Mrowak said:
Specimen 5.

During the fight with the 'assassins' they completely ignore their principal target - the king. Instead, they fight you, the dude that can make short work of them both. One more issue. Later on, you learn that you knew them. They were sort of your commrades. So why the hell are they so bent on killing you instead of their target I don't even. Even more puzzlingly - there are two of them. What stops them from splitting up - one engages you to buy the other the time needed to 'sanitize' Henselt. But nooo! We just must have epic boss fight. How I fucking hate consolish boss-battle design!!!
Sure, one of them could sacrifice himself, and distract Geralt, while the second one is killing Helnset. That would most definitely work. But, you know, they have not been teh muslim terrorists. Not into a buissness of sacrificing themselvs, you know. They wanted to get a job done, and get away safely. Both of them. As I understand the plot, they could not care less for king Helsent, alive or otherwise, or at least not enough to give up their lives in order to kill him. So, to divide their forces in the face of the most dangerous enemy they could have possibly met there, that would be retarded to say the least.

UserNamer

Cipher
they could have just run away dr freeman, like you decided to not bother with the combine anymore and run far, far away forever ending the hl saga, RIP and AMEN

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
UserNamer said:
they could have just run away dr freeman, like you decided to not bother with the combine anymore and run far, far away forever ending the hl saga, RIP and AMEN
Or they could just infect Ves with hiv.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Elzair said:
Here's an inconsistency for ya!

I have a monacle, and I like cheap, Eastern-European trash.

Elzair said:
Let's Review Dragon Age: Origins

Elzair said:
Dragon Age: Origins is a decent but highly-flawed game.

Elzair said:
Dragon Age: Origins is a decent game.

npc6.gif

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Gordon Freeman said:
Mrowak said:
Specimen 5.

Sure, one of them could sacrifice himself, and distract Geralt, while the second one is killing Helnset. That would most definitely work. But, you know, they have not been teh muslim terrorists. Not into a buissness of sacrificing themselvs, you know. They wanted to get a job done, and get away safely. Both of them. As I understand the plot, they could not care less for king Helsent, alive or otherwise, or at least not enough to give up their lives in order to kill him. So, to divide their forces in the face of the most dangerous enemy they could have possibly met there, that would be retarded to say the least.

Yeah, but they liek totally suceeded doing the shit they've been doing. None of them got killed... whoops.

Again, you're forgetting - those two knew Geralt - why would they want him dead? Upon finding out that they were to meet him they could fall back, wait for some time, and only then strike. And even if under time pressure, what stops one from luring Gerlat away by fighting defensively so that the other Witcher can kill the king. Or he could run away counting on you pursuing him. That could actually have been made into quite fun meaningful decision. Pity.

The fight would make at least some sense if your task was to defend the entrence to Henselt's tent till reinforcemens have arrived. But you can run all around the map and those idiots will follow you. It's a typical consolish-designed boss fight. Also gotta love how they don't use any signs.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron

Mrowak said:
Again, you're forgetting - those two knew Geralt - why would they want him dead?
As I remember, they were pretty ambiguous about Geralt, on one hand thy did not want his death, on the other, they'd like to show him...
Upon finding out that they were to meet him they could fall back, wait for some time, and only then strike.
Geralt would follow them. Chased them down. They were on the move, could as well end it there and then.
And even if under time pressure, what stops one from luring Gerlat away by fighting defensively so that the other Witcher can kill the king. Or he could run away counting on you pursuing him. That could actually have been made into quite fun meaningful decision. Pity.
The game could be different. It could be better. Any game, I can think of, could have been better. Let's talk here about inconsistenies, not design decisions.
The fight would make at least some sense if your task was to defend the entrence to Henselt's tent till reinforcemens have arrived. But you can run all around the map and those idiots will follow you. It's a typical consolish-designed boss fight.
I was unaware of that. But, it is sort of meta-knowledge on pair with geting everything-proof cars in GTA games.
Also gotta love how they don't use any signs.
Agreed.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron

Double post

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom