Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

D&D 5E Discussion

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Alchemist, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    I rarely have players this creative. As a consequence, I use generic Sword Coast for most campaigns.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Akratus Arcane Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    As a half-orc you throw an extra weapon dice on a crit. As a brute you throw an extra 1d4/1d6/1d10 depending on level. With great weapon fighting you can reroll 1/2s once. If you're using something like a maul you're throwing two d6's on any attack. And then there's the str and profiency bonus.

At level 3, depending on the str stat I could do this in damage on one attack: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 5 = a maximum of 27 damage. And 37 if using a 1d10 instead of 1d4. And if I don't throw any 1/2s a minimum of 17.

As it so happens I am playing a half orc brute in my current campaign and am very much drunk on power. I also have relentless endurance and second wind for survivability. I didn't even check all of this stuff out beforehand I just thought half orcs are cool for a bloodthirsty fighter and found the brute later on when deciding on my martial archetype. Do you guys think this is overpowered?

• No No x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Are you and your party having fun? If so, who cares. The DM can always throw more monsters at you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    Looks to me like high single-target DPR with low out-of-combat utility, no AoE, no real versatility, and doesn't step on the toes of similar classes within their niche (Battlemaster has maneuvers and Barbarian is tankier, and I assume Paladin-types have better nova damage). So, solid, but probably not that OP?

I mean, my experiences with D&D since AD&D 2E tell me that Fighters should be able to do resourceless and consistent damage, and if the kit does that... then that's great?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ^ Top  
  5. Akratus Arcane Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Our sessions are fucking gold imho. I don't know why I asked if it's overpowered because it certainly hasn't been in our campaign so far. In fact, last session our first bout of combat started with me trying to move the halfling of our party aside so I could walk past him, for which I rolled a 1, making me fall over backwards and go prone until the next round. I think I got one hit in before the fighting was over. But solo-ing a big vine golem type guy the next bout more than made up for it.

But yeah, of course roleplaying and having fun is more important than combat balance. Unless you die of course. I'm wondering if our 14 hp monk will survive the deeper parts of the mine. . .

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    At level 3? Holy shit :D

Brought back memories of a monk played by a guy I used to know back in the 3.5 days. The monk was supposed to be a bad motherfucker, but I never got to see that, as usually he just hid behind the bard's back and pew-pewed the enemies with his shitty sling... What an embarrassment.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Akratus Arcane Patron

Akratus
    I want to make a monk sometime. The path of the drunken master!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    To be honest, 3.5 monk is notorious for being considered pretty much the worst class in the Player's Handbook. Never really gets to be an impressive damage dealer or a tank, all of its strengths and niches are working counterproductively towards one another, and contrary to popular opinion he absolutely can't be a solid mage-killer or whatever the reputation is. Maybe he just ended up falling back on the defensive after getting whooped too much...

Pretty okay in 5e, though, finally gets to fit the role of a stunbot / melee controller.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    I agree with your monk analysis, but trust me on this, the player was just a fucking coward. None of his other characters were anything to write home about either.

^ Top  
  10. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    UnMonk in Pathfinder is really good, as are the archetypes it gets. Plain Monk is not that great of a class however.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    1e monk or go home.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Most people try to build a DEX monk. STR ones are better, and the primary stat you are looking for is the ability to increase your damage die. Obviously not going to compete with a cleric, but people tend to compare properly built characters from other classes to poorly built monks.

^ Top  
  13. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    Frankly, due to the other issues with the class in 3.5 (actually deceptively high reliance on magical items in spite of the design being supposed to be thriving without items, e.g. Monk's Belt; schizophrenic design where the monk has high movement speed that begs for a "hit'n'run" playstyle, but on the other hand having Flurry of Blows relegated to only work under a full attack action; mountains upon mountains of special abilities that are basically shitty versions of what other classes get ("Slow Fall" is downright insulting as both an insufficient power fantasy and a terribly situational skill in its own right; "Ki Strike" is basically letting monks catch up to a fighter with a magical weapon) I think that a competently built monk still doesn't hold a candle to a fighter or barbarian. Fighters are much simpler to optimize, really - give them a two-hander, a full plate, and start Power Attacking. Also, Flurry of Blows is pretty counter-intuitive for a class without full BAB. Lack of BAB also means Monks have trouble fulfilling the supposed niche of an excellent grappler.

You know what other edition of D&D had an excellent monk, absolute delight to play? 4E.

EDIT: On the other hand, in a casual environment where the players mostly know the Monk class from cRPGs, and the DM employs strategies characteristic of video game enemies (lots of meatbags with token caster support swarming around the one frontliner rather than the rest of the party), you could definitely make a Monk shine in that environment. The reality of NWN where you get to dual epically enchanted Kamas to Cleave the shit out of everything while dealing with a massively overbloated WPL guideline, massacring everything in your way, is hard to replicate on tabletop, though. And I still maintain that a really basic Fighter/Barbarian will still be stronger.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)