Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Cadmus

Arcane
ho hoo, I just hope they get the art style right. I didn't like Bloodborne's everything-is-grey visuals and clutter everywhere. They call it attention to detail, I call it distasteful. I want tons of weapons, beautiful areas, strong art direction with shiny plate armors, traditional folklore enemies with a twist (or not) and the cryptic otherworldly story. and a good PC version, jesus shit.

I want an adventure in the medieval pulp fantasy world with knights and dragons done well, like the opposite of the shit like Skyrim.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Why do braindead retards care about number of weapons? I didn't see too many people whining about it here, but it's a common criticism of that table posted earlier.

I replayed Dark Souls 1 recently and while it's still the best in the series by a noticeable margin, the high number of weapons doesn't do much for the game. The vast majority of them are outclassed and you only reasonably receive enough materials to max out a couple. I ended up just blowing through everything with a Claymore once I got to the bridge (literal 20 minutes into the game on a replay) because there was no point in switching to something else. Why bother farming for materials when 95% of the weapons in the game are worse than a +15 Claymore? At one point I even lucked out and got the elusive high-tier Baldur's Side Sword and I ended up shrugging because there wasn't much of a benefit to switching.

Dark Souls 2 has a similar problem. There are a greater number of "high tier" weapons in DS2, but who gives a shit when a +10 Mace blows through everything in PvE effortlessly, lol. Alternatively just power stance rapiers or clubs. DS2 made the problem even worse by requiring the boss weapons to be upgraded with dragon bones, of which there were only enough to upgrade like 2 weapons until the DLC added a farming area. Even with a farming area who gives a shit? Why waste your life trying to upgrade a boss weapon when you can just blow through everything with a Mace?

Bloodborne got weapons right. The weapons were mostly all good and had a greater number of moves. You weren't really penalized for investing in any of them as there were no traps. Admittedly, when I played the Ludwig's blade scaled a bit too well at the extreme levels (like level 150+ for chalice dungeons) but for a normal playthrough that ends with NG every weapon was p. gud.

That said, the short dev time is worrying for DS3. What also concerns me is there only being "15 bosses" and "over 60 minutes of in-engine cutscenes". The cutscenes in these games have always been stupid. On the other hand, short releases is actually textbook FROM software. The first 3 king's fields games all came out annually. During the 2000s they were releasing 2 fucking Armored Cores a year at one point lol.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This is OT, but where else to put it?

http://kotaku.com/former-employee-sues-bandai-alleges-racism-1710574394

Le and other employees who were not Japanese were subjected to verbal abuse in Japanese, condescending gestures and “obscene laughter,” the suit alleges.

In 2013, Bandai’s former CEO, Matsuo Masayaka, told Le, “All you Americans are so stupid and don’t know how to run a business”; “If I could I would fire all the Americans”; and “Japan should have bombed Pearl Harbor again,” the suit alleges.

Other supervisors told Le he was a “stupid American” for enrolling in USC’s MBA program, according to his lawsuit.

...He alleges he also was excluded from company meetings and dinners in which only Japanese employees were invited.

:prosper:

Nippon still having a heartbeat I see.

Also expect DaS III getting a major delay on Steam due to it's dishonorable American origin. If it just wasn't for those damn glorious profits...

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone explain to me again when race became a synonym of nationality?

bminorkey

miyazaki's philosophy in bloodborne was to make more interesting weapons and less weapons that are just slightly longer/shorter reskins of a generic weapon

ultimately it didn't work out so well, because some weapons still turned out to be way better than everything, and owing to the extremely low amount of weapons in the game it meant the actual variety of good weapons was low as well. however this probably isn't a fault with the idea itself (of making fewer more interesting weapons) but an execution fault.

having a lot of different weapons is safe because you can be sure at least some of them will be decent (that's what happened in dark souls). however dark souls 3 shouldn't be discounted for trying to do something new.

about the number of areas: this doesn't mean anything really because there is no consistent definition of an area.

armor sets is disappointing unless they plan to do something special with armors this time around.

about consumables: miyazaki said in an interview he is planning to make them more useful than in previous titles in the game, so i am looking forward to that.

i am not sure about the boss count though, that seems really weird to me. why would they have only 15 bosses? are they really rushing this or maybe they are planning to make bosses more meaningful this time around with the heat-up system?

meehh i guess it is better to wait until they announce something rather than go by rumors. this sounds like it could be kinda mediocre though. that & the fact it's dark souls 3... like why do you keep making sequels to dark souls lol

also hebrew
Dark-Souls-3-Leak_06-05-15_004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Lore-wise what is going to happen there?

In DS1 we learn that you can kindle or not kindle the flame at the expense of a really powerful undead.
In DS2 we learn that actually that doesn't matter, cause everything is cyclic.

What could possibly happen in DS3? Cycle getting broken?

Lore-wise what is going to happen there?

In DS1 we learn that you can kindle or not kindle the flame at the expense of a really powerful undead.
In DS2 we learn that actually that doesn't matter, cause everything is cyclic.

What could possibly happen in DS3? Cycle getting broken?
second ending from DaS2:SotFS implies breaking the cycle by neither kindling the flame nor becoming the Dark Lord. Simply gathering power and walking away

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
miyazaki's philosophy in bloodborne was to make more interesting weapons and less weapons that are just slightly longer/shorter reskins of a generic weapon

ultimately it didn't work out so well, because some weapons still turned out to be way better than everything, and owing to the extremely low amount of weapons in the game it meant the actual variety of good weapons was low as well. however this probably isn't a fault with the idea itself (of making fewer more interesting weapons) but an execution fault.

lol. Do you have any fucking idea what you're talking about? Have you even played bloodborne?

Every weapon is good. The worst one is the Stake Driver which people still love because of how visceral it is in its execution. Every single BB weapon is great in PvE.

I guess that hardcore PVPfags have a more limited selection, but that's to be expected. Every souls game essentially only has a very small number of weapons that are great in PVP. Even still, BB has quite a few viable options there. Ludwig's, BoM, Burial Blade, Rifle Spear, Chikage, Reiter - they're all viable from what I've seen. That's frankly comparable to DS1 despite having far fewer weapons overall.

Besides, honestly they should just remove the multiplayer from these games. The PvP MLG faggots and "sunbros" are fucking cancer. All that matters is how well designed the single player experience is.

having a lot of different weapons is safe because you can be sure at least some of them will be decent (that's what happened in dark souls). however dark souls 3 shouldn't be discounted for trying to do something new.

It's pointless for all of the reasons listed in my other post. None of which you addressed. Until Dark Souls implements a new upgrade system or ensures that the later-game weapons are actually upgrades the huge variety of marginally different weapons will mean nothing.

meehh i guess it is better to wait until they announce something rather than go by rumors. this sounds like it could be kinda mediocre though. that & the fact it's dark souls 3... like why do you keep making sequels to dark souls lol

Because brand recognition is extremely real. You could have 2 identical games, name one "Dark Souls 3" and name the other something else and Dark Souls 3 will sell better.

And before you ask, Bloodborne was given its name because Sony specifically wanted to have their own "IP".

Latro

Arcane
Nippon still having a heartbeat I see.

Also expect DaS III getting a major delay on Steam due to it's dishonorable American origin. If it just wasn't for those damn glorious profits...
I get the impression it was more for the fact the guy was half Vietnamese than being from America, they probably just railed on him for the latter because he can't be racist without being forced to step down.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So something I'm wondering about it is, will Dark Souls 3 have an equivalent of Bloodborne's chalice dungeons? While the implimentation in Bloodborne left a lot to be desired, with improvement I think random dungeons could be a good addition to the main Souls series. A few changes I would make are increasing the variety and making the dungeons available later in the game instead of unlocking early, maybe even after you've completed the game at least once. An issue with the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne is that if you don't start doing them as soon as you get your first chalice, you'll massively outlevel the early dungeons, making them very boring to grind through.

Kanedias

Savant
Namco Bandai's showcase is today at 14:10 PDT so expect the Dark Souls 3 reveal at that time. I can't wait.

Edit. A CGI trailer just showed up on E3.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And this one is from the official channel:

Now only embers remain…

As fires fade and the world falls into ruin, developer FROMSOFTWARE and director Hidetaka Miyazaki continue their critically-acclaimed and genre-defining series with Dark Souls III.

Developed by FromSoftware and directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the game will challenge you to survive a coming apocalypse in a vast twisted world full of fearsome beasts, devious traps and hidden secrets.

Hehheh... Good job writing "directed by Miyazaki" twice in the little blurb. The B-Team meme must've hit 'em hard...

Bahamut

Arcane
After Scholar of Second Cashgrab, im not buying this untill they release some GOTY version
god bless not removing from inventory

Amn Nom

Learned
Now that its confirmed, really excited. Will buy day 1 because I'm a fucking sucker for these games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom