Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Ivan

Arcane
How were backstabs improved in DS2? I don't remember anything being different aside from new animations

Drakron

Arcane
I think they were made to pull but I never played either, I do recall people saying that since apparently it was how people played DS1 with just going for backstabbing and they could no longer pull that so easy in DS2.

praetor

Arcane
i hope whoever is responsible for the DaS2 DLCs works on DaS3 in the same or similar capacities.

and just fucking do away with the shitty backstabs. make them doable only when the enemy is in an "unaware" state, only by specific weapons, and make some half-decent form of stealth available (that requires some stats investment) and be done with it. it's a shitty concept the way they've been implemented from DeS up to BB (less shit with each iteration, but still shit)

edit: so it turns out that DaS3 might not be the final entry in the Souls franchise after all, and Miyazaki is interested in exploring a sci-fi and/or ninja themed Souls game. source

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
edit: so it turns out that DaS3 might not be the final entry in the Souls franchise after all, and Miyazaki is interested in exploring a sci-fi and/or ninja themed Souls game. source

303.gif

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
4:41 - ??: The story in Dark Souls 3 revolves around the “Lord of Cinder“, his resurrection and the Dark Hero trying to defeat him.
4:41 - ??: When asked about the Lord of Cinder being directly connected to Dark Souls I or II (we’re all thinking Gwyn right?) we were given a very vague answer which essentially meant “It will be open for the player to decide“. We were also given the impression that the story of Dark Souls III would not be directly linked to the previous titles, but again be open to interpretation.
4:42 - ??: A new feature, epitaphs, are the lore notes of Dark Souls III. These tiny gravestones of fallen knights can be found through out the game and once lit will allow the players to read the epitaphs inscribed on them. Epitaphs tell you about the lore of the game:
This knight fought for the Lord of Cinder
4:42 - ??: Miyazaki: “I like to place dragons early on the game”
4:42 - ??: We progressed through the level fighting undead warriors, knights, a Stone Dragon and the first boss named “Dancer of the Frigid Valley“. The setting is familiar and the enemies have that slight deja-vu effect from a distant memory: The undead warriors were very similar to those in Undead Burg in Dark Souls, and the knights were wearing shiny silver armor that and fought somewhat like the Black Knights from Dark Souls. But it wasn’t until we got to a bridge that the true feeling of Dark Souls settled in: Out of nowehere, a Stone Dragon landed atop a wall in front of us and burnt the many undead to ashes, also blocking the player’s way and forcing him into an unexpected detour he was not ready for.
4:42 - ??: World interconnectivity is completely back. Everything is once again completely connected, as was the case in Dark Souls I. Everything you can see you will be able to explore and go to.
Miyazaki stated that he personally has taken over the world design for the game, and there will be no world hub.
4:43 - ??: The combat is very similar to that of previous Souls titles, but there are some new improvements. First off is “Stances“. It seems that several weapons in the game have Stances that allow for powerful attacks when used. In the demo we saw the Straight Sword have what is called the “Ready Stance“. In this Stance the player holds the Straight Sword in a two-handed fashion (putting away his/her shield) and holds the sword up like a Samurai holding a katana. The hilt is held back by the head of the player with the tip of the blade pointing directly forward. The player was able to Guard Break two shield-wielding enemies with the attack from this Stance. This was the only Stance shown in the demo.
4:45 - ??: Bows completely got a revamp. You can now effectively use the Short Bow in close range combat. If fires quickly and is nearly instantaneous.
4:45 - ??: Miyazaki: “Using the short bow is a bit like being like Legolas in Lord of the Rings. Ok, I’m probably exaggerating a little.”
4:45 - ??: One important thing to note here is that enemies can use Skills and Stances just like the player. This makes the combat more intense and more difficult as they tend to do it unpredictably. And, Parries and Backstabs looked nearly identical to Dark Souls II and are also in the game once again.
4:46 - ??: We also got to see some Gestures return to the game along with the fan favorite “Praise the Sun“, similar to Dark Souls II. I know you will all love that :)
4:46 - ??: Miyazaki said that the matchmaking for co op and PvP will be based on Soul Level. I specifically asked Miyazaki during the demo if Soul Memory would be in the game and it was reiterated that Soul Level will be the only criteria for matching players. There will also be no Dueling Arena and when asked whether there will be unique multiplayer PvP mechanics, Miyazaki said there will be “unique” ones for sure.
4:48 - ??: The game looks to be a lot like a hybrid between Dark Souls and Bloodborne, if only artistically. The combat is not Bloodborne, there are no dashes or fastness, this is Dark Souls II movement speed and timings. The improvements to the combat system should make Souls combat more interesting than ever before and help it keep up with the frenetic pace of Bloodborne that we’ve all come to love. The matching of players by Soul Level once again will give many piece of mind and I know we all love the connected world from the first game (as well as Bloodborne). I have no data on Hollowing except that it will be in the game and “improved”. No magic, miracles, hexes or devices were shown.

Steve

Augur
How were backstabs improved in DS2? I don't remember anything being different aside from new animations
In DaS2, the backstab animation wasn't instant leaving you vulnerable to be interupted by other enemies. DaS1 backstabbing was overpowered as fuck (still is in DaS2 despite the "nerf"), don't really agree with this change.

https://twitter.com/Peeverson/status/610952543007432704

DkS3 details: DkS1 movement/combat (same parries/backstabs). Kick is back. Summon signs. Soul Level matchmaking (dedicated servers).

(same parries/backstabs)

backstabs

Noooooooooo.

After Dark Souls 2 improving the backstab mechanics and Bloodborne fixing them, we're back to instant backstabs?

Bravo From! Great.
and all DS1 internet celebrities/faggs with fucking peeve peeverson are already sperging all over DS1 movement/backstabs:prosper:

bminorkey

DkS3 details: DkS1 movement/combat (same parries/backstabs). Kick is back. Summon signs. Soul Level matchmaking (dedicated servers).

(same parries/backstabs)

backstabs

Noooooooooo.

After Dark Souls 2 improving the backstab mechanics and Bloodborne fixing them, we're back to instant backstabs?

Bravo From! Great.

you know nothing

das1 mechanics are way better

keppj0nes

Educated
I am stoked on the sword stances actually. I always liked those in the Witcher. If done correctly in PVP it could end up being the most brutal game of roshambo ever if one sword stance can counter one better but not another...

(same parries/backstabs)

backstabs

Noooooooooo.

Bravo From! Great.

you know nothing

das1 mechanics are way better
do you even pvp faggot? what mechanics? rollbackstabs,chainbackstabs and rolling in 4 directions with lock on?:lol:

Murk

Arcane
Everything was interconnected in DS 1 eh? EVERYTHING...

Jesus, I have played these games so fucking much, and enjoyed the shit out of both of them, and I am at a complete loss as to why people have to pick one side over the other and have these ridiculously staunch opinions. Ughhhhh. DS 3 will be whatever it is, I just hope they keep the improvements DS 2 made and continue to improve instead of regressing to some pseudo-nostalgic state.

Alonebadman

Educated
Hopefully last dark souls. DS3 will probably spin out of the crowns dlc like ds2 did but be set another fucking eighty thousand years later. Still, really hoping the area is lordran /undying monarch kingdom that leads to dark serpent hydra boss. And more God slaying, wasn't enough of that in DS2.

Hoping more connected to DS2 lore than one. BB lore kind of sucked dick compared to ds universe.

Mechanics wise? I'd prefer a mixture of ds2 with ds1 weight/feel. Really that was the only thing I missed from DS1

Ivan

Arcane
I wonder if Dex builds will be able to dash instead of roll a la Bloodborne.

Or I'd love to see the return of something like the Hunter's Bone (super speed) to avoid those Greatsword wielding bastards.

praetor

Arcane
i hope they don't go faster than DaS2, that was more than fast enough. going faster just makes it feel "arcadey" and the awesome feeling of weight to the combat is almost gone. leave the speed to BB and all the DMC-likes, there's room for both and it would be a shame if we "lost" the slower, more methodical pace of Souls

Villagkouras

Arcane
And let's hope it's bigger than BB, which reaches DS levels of length only with Chalice Dungeons which are optional and kinda repetitive.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
3:52 - ??: Dark Souls III will be our last game made together with Bamco, because they're reluctant to change, while the future of the series, our ambitions, are verging towards open worlds.
3:52 - ??: Dark Souls II should've already been open world, but a few months from release Bamco asked that the formula be changed and brought back to a more traditional one

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Fuck this. Why must everything be 'open world' these days. It all just feels the same.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Fuck this. Why must everything be 'open world' these days. It all just feels the same.
It will be good eventually. Remember "why must everything be 3d these days"? Eventually it became the standard for a certain type of games, same will happen with open world, but only when they develop the AI to support this.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
No. By this you are eliminating options, why not both? Or is a more 'level based' style of game inherently wrong? Why has everything have to be the same these days I guess is more fitting.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
3:52 - ??: Dark Souls II should've already been open world, but a few months from release Bamco asked that the formula be changed and brought back to a more traditional one

This gotta be a joke. What kind of retarded publisher demands such grave changes a couple months before release? No wonder From wants to unshackle themselves from these idiots.

Grimlorn

Arcane
They need to stop "letting the player decide" the story. If this is the last game in the series, then they should elaborate on the curse a bit and I'm guessing give the player a way to end the curse forever. One of the problems with DS2 was that it was too vague and there wasn't anything drawing you in. You're playing through 90% of the game and you have no idea why you're doing anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom