Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Deponia series

Ringhausen

Augur
They still haven't released the engine patch they've been promising since February! I uninstalled months ago.

Agree on the G. voice acting, the fat guy was as bad as the English Sadwick.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I actually liked Sadwick's voice. I don't know... at the beginning I found him annoying, but the more I played the more it started to fit it. I think it fitted perfectly with the character.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, anyone playing/played the English version of this? I'm currently going through it and I love it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I just finished it today, I liked it a lot. A game with charm, puzzles were quite logical for these kind of adventure games, maybe a bit on the easy side, though, and too short for my taste. The english VA was also very good IMO. The worst part about the game is:

The ending, fuck the ending :( Although I didn't know before, but it's supposed to be a trilogy

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
puzzles were quite logical for these kind of adventure games
i found it highly annoying that they would mix stuff that made sense with typical adventure gamist bullshit ones, like all of the whole wake-up drink mixing and especially the mechanical bull part.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
puzzles were quite logical for these kind of adventure games
i found it highly annoying that they would mix stuff that made sense with typical adventure gamist bullshit ones, like all of the whole wake-up drink mixing and especially the mechanical bull part.

Well, I didn't have any major problems with it, since you could ask Wenzel about the ingredients and he would tell you pretty much everything you needed to know

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just bought this on STEAM. Fairly solid logical Adventure Game. Enjoying it so far. LOVE the artwork.

Gawd it took me FOREVER to figure out that ^%$^%^$ toothbrush! haha

Shadenuat

Arcane
A solid piece of cuteness, fits very well with an evening of bad weather. I'll admit that after I solved the mines, I started to look-up at a walkthrough from time to time to understand where's dev's mind goin and because wanted to get on with the plot.
And the plot
left on a cliff hanger, screw me
I wish games stop doing that and end with satisfying ending instead of going for trilogies

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I was planning to get The Whispered World. Is it any good?

Or as shit as almost every recent adventure game?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
People here (myself included) liked it, the VA can get a bit annoying but you can just mute it if you have major problems with it.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
The Whispered World is a fun game. At first I found that voice for Sadwick to be annoying and grating on my ears, but after a while I got used to it, and it does kind of fit the character.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finished the first one today, having started it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a lot; I skipped a fair amount of the voice acting, since there was just so much and I could read the dialogue far faster, but I liked what I listened to - especially Wenzel's voice actor.

Definitely agree with what someone said earlier in the thread, how the game will switch from logical puzzles to ridiculous lucas arts shenanigans, and it really threw me off - had to use a guide during the mail puzzle because some parts of that just never would have occurred to me.

I'd like to see where the story goes, but will probably wait for a sale before buying the sequels.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
had to use a guide during the mail puzzle because some parts of that just never would have occurred to me.

Same, but I think the mail and telephone puzzle chain was the only one so blatantly randumb in the whole game, although i can half forgive it on the grounds of how hilarious it was to watch the telephone operator snap. There were also a few other derp ones later on (like glowing whale bait), but I don't really think the game turned into ridonk lucas arts style on the whole - it was silly through and through, but most of the puzzles still remained very logical within the context of the gameworld itself. It just needed you to attune your thinking to the Deponian laws.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Puzzle-wise Chaos on Deponia is the best one in the series, imo. Goodbye Deponia being the second best.

Unfortunately the first game is the weakest one, which may turn a lot of people off.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Puzzle-wise Chaos on Deponia is the best one in the series, imo. Goodbye Deponia being the second best.

Unfortunately the first game is the weakest one, which may turn a lot of people off.

Thanks for that. I was hesitating on getting the other 2 games, based on the first game. I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the last 2 games then.

:salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I feel like I'm the only one around who thinks Deponia 1 is better than Goodbye Deponia :M

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's well worth buying these at full price. Together with Primordia these are the best adventure games currently out there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finished the 2nd game. Another thumbs up. I really like this series so far. <3

I did have one question, in Goodbye Derponia, they say there was a joke about the Ghost Sheet (when you pick it up) in the German version, but got lost in translation. What was the joke in the German version? :/

Renegen

Arcane
Wanted to bump this thread a bit, I've been playing with Deponia 1 and it's such a good game. Having played a few other "modern" adventure games, I find Deponia to be well designed, funny and it has one of the best and most intelligently created protagonists - Rufus. He is so selfish, he causes so much mayhem, he is so deluded, he is like the player many times. And all of that lies under a very familiar type of adventure game that's right at home for anyone who's played Lucas Arts games, quite a surprise.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I somewhat like Rufus as a protagonist, his interactions with Brozo are ranging from annoying to outright infuriating.:x

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lots of love for this game ITT. I really should install and try it, since I've owned on Steam for ages but never bothered actually checking it out.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished Goodbye Deponia. What a ride, goddamn.

I'm just not sure what to feel like about the ending.

On one hand Rufus finally gets it and breaks his chains so to speak. But on the other hand that moment made me finally actually want him to get to Elysium. So I guess it was a well executed ending nonetheless and sure as hell made me feel more attached to the game than anything that Telltale and their like have put out.

:incline::obviously::salute::cry:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom