Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Suicidal

Arcane
I don't understand the purpose of having the boss teleport far away from the player and then spend 10 seconds channeling a spell that only hits a small area around himself.
Watch closely. The boss teleports and charges his sword, the let's out lightning attack if the player is dumb enough to be that close to him after doing so.

It's likely a buff to his weapon since it now constantly glows purple, similar to artorias in dark souls who will jump away from the player and buff himself, if you're too close, he will let out an AOE attack.

Fortunately Artorias can be staggered and stopped from finishing his buff, I've not seen anyone do that to Cavalier Angelo.

I re-watched the vid and it makes more sense now - the boss starts the fight with the glowing sword but as he attacks the sword starts glowing less and less and when it stops glowing boss starts getting staggered from attacks. After that he teleports and does the lightning move, which recharges the sword. So it's kinda similar to the angel knight boss in DMC4 that has a shield that gets weakened and then recharged.

Tehdagah

Arcane
For some reason the camera is way better in this video, the character is always centralized. A different setting?

sullynathan

Arcane
One thing I've been reading about is the customization the game allows for Dante. It is obvious there are more weapons in this game than DMC4, but this time you'll be able to carry the amount of weapons you specifically want for ex. carrying only two weapons & two guns, or all the weapons and all the guns at once, and you can make loadouts of your choosing. It is a happy medium between what the older Devil May Cry games had for Dante and what DMC4 had.

I didn't know that people complained that you had all your weapons on you at the same time in DMC4, but I understand it if you never used certain weapons at all (looking at you lucifer), now you don't have to carry them or cycle through them when weapon switching.

unknown.png
all_weapons.png

Reading through the DMC5 Info guys tweet summary, they've also removed healing stars and devil stars, so no more nearly dying and getting full health back or getting full DT back either, but gold orbs or an equivalent are still in.

For some reason the camera is way better in this video, the character is always centralized. A different setting?
maybe this guy actually controlled the camera unlike the IGN & Gamespot guy? or it could be due to this one being in auto, wonder what that has to do with camera.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Microtransaction shit is a bummer, but if they do it the same way they did in DMC4SE, then I can get over it. In that game they didn't change the rate of orb drops, so it really didn't change anything gameplay-wise.
They did change the amount of proud orbs in the special edition, but they actually upped the drop rate. Hopefully they keep the amounts for upgrades about the same

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Microtransaction shit is a bummer, but if they do it the same way they did in DMC4SE, then I can get over it. In that game they didn't change the rate of orb drops, so it really didn't change anything gameplay-wise.
They did change the amount of proud orbs in the special edition, but they actually upped the drop rate. Hopefully they keep the amounts for upgrades about the same
Really? It was a long time ago I've played it. It's a strange move to up the drop rate, I hope they will make it feel just right in DMC5.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The dmc subreddit is going mental defending microtransactions. I guess this really shows the quality of the retards in reddit. Fckn morons.

Twitch too. Whenever I see this brought up, tons of people in the chat go full "b-but you don't have to buy it". Answer with "Well I don't have to buy the game either :) " for best results.
Yeah. Fanboys are quick to jump on the bandwagon of hating microtransactions, until their favourite game is targeted. Then it's just "b-but it is optional".

Suicidal

Arcane
What's all this talk about microtransactions? Are they doing the DMC4 special edition thing where they sell red orbs and difficulty unlocks for extra money? I missed it.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've been reading criticisms of the style system of DMC4 & to an extent DMCV and many of them make sense to me. Does anyone else feel things would be improved if the swordmaster style was incorporated into combos for each weapon without needed to press the D-Pad, Gunslinger incorporated into combos for your guns, Trickster & Royalguard being a dedicated button and then adding something new or something old into the D-Pad like Quicksilver or Doppelganger?

sullynathan

Arcane
what's up with that super closed-in camera on that Dante footage form dmc5?
The camera is supposed to shift around, especially in 1-on-1 situations, but it kept sticking close to Dante more than it did to Nero which is odd. It zooms out wide when in the air, but even when Dante fought multiple enemies, it was sticking close to him. There's one video where it was fine and it works on the boss since hes not ridiculously large & it's 1-on-1, but it looks like a problem.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
They're cashing in on nostalgia but it looks so good.

Seems that Dante's big shtick is that every weapon has different modes. Cavalier has bike & chainsaw mode, sparda has sword & scythe mode, balrog has kick & punch mode, Cerberus has ice nunchucks, fire spear and lightning mode.

Ivan

Arcane
They're cashing in on nostalgia but it looks so good.

Seems that Dante's big shtick is that every weapon has different modes. Cavalier has bike & chainsaw mode, sparda has sword & scythe mode, balrog has kick & punch mode, Cerberus has ice nunchucks, fire spear and lightning mode.

200.webp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom