Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Decided to try playing through the whole series myself. So far I seem to be around 1/3 to 1/2 way through the first game (I have the harp, warriors ring, sunstones, magic flute and a general idea of what to do from here) and have been enjoying it a fair bit. The freedom to just wander around and get my ass kicked or find places earlier than intended is refreshing. Hopefully the series stays this way for a while, I've no doubt that sooner or later it'll become plot heavy and stuck on the railroad.

I have played the first game recently and my feeling was the same : exploration is good.

I will play the second game someday.

kain611

Augur
I think Dragon Quest 3 is my favorite of the series. VIII is quite grand as well :)

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I think the DQ games are some of the better JRPGs out there. They have a similar feeling to them as old school PC RPGs with their emphasis on adventure and discovery. They also all play virtually the same, so it reminds me of how Might and Magic 2-5, and 6-8 all basically play the same.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fucking christ the last boss is retarded. I guess it was inevitable for this kind of combat system. Glad I'm playing the SNES remake so getting the extra levels I need won't take hours.

Damned Registrations

Welp, first game down. Looking forward to the second, I'm hoping it has the same sort of open world but with a party to make the combat actually interesting too instead of just the exploration aspect.

Damned Registrations

So, playing the second game, got the ship, explored a bit (metal slimes are fucking worthless, I hit one 5 fucking times and it just ran off) and then I found some town with a free inn. After resting there, the game seems to have bugged out, because it suddenly left Ronaldo behind in bed while telling me that Linda has fallen sick because of a curse from a guy I've yet to encounter. Weeeeeeee. Exploration isn't as fun when it causes the game to literally break.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Odd, I couldn't get the boat until I got all 3 members. I recall a priest blocking my way when I tried to leave the continent, though I was playing the mobile version so there's that.

Damned Registrations

I do have all 3 members. Which is why I was so baffled when it took the wrong one (on top of seemingly doing it much earlier than it presumably should.)

Edit: Roland was carrying my silver key too, so this would probably have been game ending if I'd been absent minded/dumb eough to save afterwards.

Siveon

Bot
Yikes, dodged a bullet there then.

FYI: The mobile version explains that the prince was cursed by the big bad evil dude because you got closer to his influence or something like that. It's bull, but it a least shows that the final boss has SOME initiative. Why he didn't just curse all of us I have no idea, but hey, it allowed me to level up the princess a bit more since I got her relatively late.

Avellion

Erudite
http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-viii-announced-for-3ds/

Dragon Quest VIII is coming to 3DS, Square Enix has announced. This version of the game is launching in Japan on August 27. Pricing is set at 5,980 yen.

Dragon Quest VIII will feature a brand new scenario, Garuda (female thief) and Morrie (from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road) as new party characters, and StreetPass functionality. The game’s events will now have voices, and an orchestral soundtrack – performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra – is planned.

Square Enix has several retailer-specific pre-orders bonuses lined up, which are as follows:

[Weapon] Square Enix e-Store – Candy Cane (Yangus)
[Armor] Amazon Japan – Healie T-Shirt armor (everyone)
[Helmet] Aeon – Healie Cap (everyone)
[Weapon] Game Tsutaya – Gold Bamboo Spear (protagonist)
[Accessory] 7-Eleven – Lucky Pendant (everyone)
[Shield] Yodobashi Camera – Metal Slime Tray (everyone)

A teaser site for Dragon Quest VIII 3DS can be found here.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game’s events will now have voices
I don't recall anything in the game that wasn't voice acted.
What events are they talking about?

and an orchestral soundtrack – performed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra
Putting an orchestra behind the soundtrack isn't magically going to make it better - what it needs is more variety and a hell of a lot of it.
It's not that the existing soundtrack's bad, the problem's more that you're stuck listening to two specific tracks for 80-85% of your playthrough - and by the end of it you have the timing for every single little detail in those two tracks perfectly memorised.
The two offending tracks being these two:

TigerKnee

Arcane
I don't recall anything in the game that wasn't voice acted.
What events are they talking about?
I think this is from the perspective of the Japanese version.

The original PS2 JP version has no voices, it was added in the English version

We'll see if it makes it stateside. I'd prefer an HD remaster, but I wouldn't mind a portable DQ8, either.

I remember picking it up when it first launched. The Gamestop guy asks me 'Are you buying it for the Final Fantasy 12 demo?' lol, fuck no faget

Putting an orchestra behind the soundtrack isn't magically going to make it better - what it needs is more variety and a hell of a lot of it.
It's not that the existing soundtrack's bad, the problem's more that you're stuck listening to two specific tracks for 80-85% of your playthrough - and by the end of it you have the timing for every single little detail in those two tracks perfectly memorised.
The two offending tracks being these two:

Good point. DQ8's battle music never bothered me after 200+ hours, but there is there a magical moment sorely missing from newer JRPGs when you hit the halfway point and some cool new battle music kicks in. It can be disappointing when it's worse than the theme that came before, but sometimes it's p. awesome:

Last edited:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From what I know of Squeenix's games, I think the only one that had multiple battle themes was Kingdom Hearts; Each world had its own.
For the games that do it, I tend to really like it when the battle music fits it with the current environment music.
It bothers the hell out of me when they switch from a theme that is incredibly tense and/or emotional into a really bombastic and upbeat tune.

I think my favourite case of it would be when Wizardry Tale of the forsaken lands switched from this absolutely terrible theme:

To this absolutely gorgeous theme at floor 5 onwards:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I think Dragon Quest 3 is my favorite of the series. VIII is quite grand as well :)

My brother palyed VIII and the thing I noticed -- and he agreed -- is that the game iis quite slow. I liked III (GBA), IV, and IX the best personally. A few of the others like VI have semi-intrigued me from time to time but those are definitely my top 3.

Keldryn

Arcane
No stereoscopic 3D on DQ8, apparently.

I like playing with it on, but it's not a huge loss. I never finished it on the PS2, and it's more convenient for me to play it on the 3DS these days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will get a North American release. Unlike DQ7, it is a port and not a remake and will not need a new translation. It was just ported to iOS and Android last year, including in Western markets, so I think the odds are pretty good that we'll get the 3DS version as well. Hey Squeenix, this would be an excellent opportunity for some cross-promotion with Bravely Second and an English version of DQ VII.

No boob jiggle in 3D.

On the one hand, there's no doubt there will be a graphical downgrade of Jessica's tits due to it being on the 3DS.

On the other hand, Jessica's tits will be fully realized in 3D.

I guess this is a lateral move, overall?

Avellion

Erudite
Looks like Dragon Quest XI will not be an mmorpg.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/07/06/dragon-quest-11-will-be-an-offline-game-for-home-console

Dragon Quest XI will be an offline game designed for home console, according to series creator Yuji Horii.

Speaking to FFRing (via NeoGAF) Horii explained the next entry in the series wouldn't be an MMO like Dragon Quest X, and is currently in development for home console.

Horii doesn't go into details about what platforms the game is targeting, though recent iterations in the Dragon Quest franchise have been published outside of Japan by Nintendo. Presumably if we wanted to see Dragon Quest XI on PS4 or Xbox One, Square may have to take these duties back in-house, though this could simply be an issue with translation.

The original interview was conducted in Japanese, before being translated into French and then into English. Given how the different languages treat plurality, it's hard to guarantee anything about potential platforms. Horii could simply be saying we'll see DQ11 on a singular home console, perhaps NX or PS4, or he could have meant it'll be multiplatform. We're working to get something more solid and will update the story once we do.

Elsewhere in the interview, Horii confirms Dragon Quest XI won't feature action-combat like the upcoming Dragon Quest Heroes, but will instead "return to the roots of Dragon Quest." He also mentions that while there are no plans for a full-scale remake of older titles in the series like with Final Fantasy VII, it's possible such a thing could happen one day.

In case you missed it earlier today, Horii also revealed Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII will likely be coming West to 3DS at some stage in the future.

Avellion

Erudite
Goddammit Square Enix. Stop wasting your time and put more effort into that Dragon Quest VII Localization.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/07...ps4-ps3-and-ps-vita-announced-by-square-enix/

Dragon Quest Builders for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita Announced by Square Enix; First Minecraft-Like Screenshot Released

Square Enix announced today with a press release Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Seyo, that will be released this winter in Japan for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.

The genre is exactly what you can imagine by looking at the first screenshot below. It’s defined as a “Block Building RPG.”

The story is set in the continent of Alefgard (the original Dragon Quest setting), that has been devastated by the Dragon King, and the goal of the game is to recapture the land from the evil villain, also thanks to the freedom to build.

An official teaser website has also been opened, and can be found here.

This is probably the new Dragon Quest announcement that Square Enix teased last week, and considering the rather striking similarity with a certain other game, it’s definitely interesting.

Siveon

Bot
First "Harvest Moon" and now this. Get this minecraft shite out of my nippon RPGs goddammit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom