Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eldritch (Lovecraftian Thief-Dishonored-esque Roguelike)

Roderick

Savant
http://www.eldritchgame.com/
"A first-person action game inspired by roguelikes, immersive sims, and H. P. Lovecraft.
Coming October 21 to Windows PC from David Pittman and Minor Key Games."

"What is Eldritch?
Eldritch is a first-person action game inspired by roguelikes, immersive sims, and H. P. Lovecraft.

• Unearth ancient secrets and find your way to freedom!
  • Sneak, fight, and explore strange worlds!
  • Invoke mystical powers to augment your play style!
  • Randomly generated levels provide fresh challenges and opportunities!
  • Unlock shortcuts to jump directly to deeper dungeons!"

This looks like it could be pretty fucking good (the idea at least is). even despite it's indie-cutesy graphic style, which i thought i'd hate but watching the video I think i could take it

in the faq they directly mention it being influenced by Looking Glass's games and and loosely based on Lovecraftian tropes:
http://www.eldritchgame.com/about.html#faq

it's on steam greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166329180

i'm really curious about this. It's something I thought could be an interesting game idea a while ago

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The cube graphics look pretty much fine to me, but I wouldn't mind better hand animations. Definitely wouldn't.

I think this could be fun. Hopefully the randomization will be great and will mean that lots of different abilities and approaches will be put to good use.

Alchemist

Arcane
The gameplay looks interesting enough but Lovecraft is rolling in his grave. The Cthulhu mythos were never meant to be cutesy / comical!

Their website banner art looks decent though - I wish the game looked more like that (classic pulp-art feel):
RuPM7zH.jpg

I suppose I'll give it a chance because the gameplay does intrigue me.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, "How Lovecraftian!" was literally the first thing that popped into my mind as I watched that trailer.

Multi-headed Cow

I approve of the trailer music and assuming there's enough variety and the random level generator (It has one, right? It better) is good I could see that being enjoyable. I'll vote for it.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ok, I understand using cubes as it makes random terrain generation easier but FOR FUCKS SAKE WHAT KIND MORON THINKS HE SHOULD MAKE FUCKING COSMIC HORROR CUTESY, WITH BRIGHT HIGHLY SATURATED COLORS AND ADD FAUX-RETRO PIXELATED LOW RES DECALS AND TEXTURES ON EVERYTHING?! GO BACK TO PRECIOUS MONGOLIA, SUCK WORST HIPSTER NOTCH COCK IN ZOO FARM ANIMAL!!

:x

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lovecraftian is more about being driven to terror , death and insanity, by unknown and unfathomable horrors than fighting them.

Cool name

Arcane
The music is GLORIOUS. :D

The gameplay does seem fun and fast and varied.

And, like, was that Cthulhu wearing a monocle? This game = Awesome. :hug:

Baron

Arcane
Music is indeed glorious, I keep playing it...

-although I turned it off to view the gameplay again and it looks a lot less fun (although definitely gets point for smacking around Jawa and beaning them in the head with beer bottles. Perhaps it should have been a Star Wars minecraft brawler set in the Star Wars Cantina...)

I think it's just the franchise rape that causes me some consternation. If it was a generic / original IP I probably would have given it my reluctant approval.

I think I'll play the music once more and ponder it some more until I go mad.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not really understanding where the roguelike elements are. Looks like a normal shit shooter to me that doesn't shy away from taking a dump on Lovecraft as well.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
Not really understanding where the roguelike elements are. Looks like a normal shit shooter to me that doesn't shy away from taking a dump on Lovecraft as well.
Roguelike is the new cool thing, every game is now claimed to be inspired by roguelikes, if it has as much as a random map generator.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Roguelike is the new cool thing, every game is now claimed to be inspired by roguelikes, if it has as much as a random map generator.

I know. Perma death = roguelike. Fucking buzzwords.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The graphics style is quite original, and the gameplay looks quite fun, but why the hell do the monsters have too look so damned cutesy?!? Lovecraft, my ass!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom