Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europareich 2057 - A Cyberpunk CYOA

Hellraiser

Arcane
1: Too much that could go wrong with a break-in and could possibly be a set up (wouldn't surprise me if our Major is corrupt or on the payroll)
A: Should be enough. And better to let her be injuried of her

As for which characters I take, where's the squad list description?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...7-a-cyberpunk-cyoa.76869/page-19#post-2382864

The link to this is in the first post under additional materials just below the chapter index.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
You will…
2)…break into the “Strong Poland” party HQ in Zopott. (Muller, Bosch, Osterhagen)

Regarding the encounter in Neufahrwasser…
A)…you let Gefreiter Bosch deal with him in close-quarter combat.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
1) Reminds me of Watergate too much besides even Polish far right would not keep documents linking them to ''Bog"' after it is publicly known he's under arrest in their HQ.
C Shoot the fucker Ida has 85% accuracy, arm with weapon module and targeting interface.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
1) Reminds me of Watergate too much

Moar like Westgardgate, amirite guise? :smug:

God Emperor damned Right I am also disappointed we didn't at least turned into 100 of pain units on Spanish hacker if only to be sure she is not trained agent. This is matter of Reich security and we risked too much to just shrug our arms and leave.

oscar

Arcane
It was pretty obvious she was just some second rate hacker operating out of her apartment they'd hired for a one off attack. In any case why would they reveal their plans and true face to someone that low down on the chain? Their dealings would have been more like "Here's some money now hack these guys for us " not "We need you to hack these guys because [insert dastardly plan here] mwahaha good luck".

Guess there was no great harm in it, beyond spooking some of our squad members a bit.

Seerix

Arbiter
Fearless Public Speaker - no matter how angry the rabble before you is, you have no problem telling them what you want to tell them. Whether or not they will like it is a different matter, but your message *will* be heard.

The only thing we'll achieve by going out to talk with the mob will be getting our face(and name and maybe some other personal data) in the media which will screw us over better than setting polish hospital on fire and spraying "Europareich rules!" on the wall.

Breaking in gives as real chance of getting something substantial out of this mess. And we only risk getting screwed. It's inane to believe that Major, who's so afraid of losing his position, actually wants an Europareich soldier to get caught breaking into polish party building. If anything, he tries to bait us into talking with the mob so that the only people in media's attention will be General and us.

As for the Neufahrwasser, it would be great if Westgard scolded Claudia for running off like that.

So, 2A Muller

He's the only real pro in our team available right now and other people are either big unknowns or not suitable for such a delicate stealth mission. If we screw up it's better to quickly GTFO and the less people the better.

Monty

Arcane
The only thing we'll achieve by going out to talk with the mob will be getting our face(and name and maybe some other personal data) in the media which will screw us over better than setting polish hospital on fire and spraying "Europareich rules!" on the wall.
Hang on, getting our face in the media is worse than being caught breaking into a political party's headquarters? The military would have to make a scapegoat out of us, our career would be over and our military arm would be swapped for a pick-axe in a Siberian salt mine.

I agree there is more 'upside' to breaking into the Potato headquarters, it's tempting, but the downside is in a different league to option 1.

Seerix

Arbiter
Aspiring black ops soldiers would prefer to try break in than talk with angry mob she probably hates. Her "Fearless Public Speaker" perk clearly states that she's only able to get a message across, I think that's exactly what those right wingers need to do an armed riot. Idiots usually gets even more angry when someone talks sense into them.

Sure, if we get caught, we are royally fucked. But I still think that 2 is better option, at least we won't be wasting time.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear our options are:

1: Try to calm down an angry mob and risk escalation if it fails, also getting public attention which may have consequences to our career.

2: Break into right wing party HQ and look for evidence that could discredit them. If we succeed, situation in TSZ may improve greatly. If we fail, we are done for.

So, it's low risk=low gain versus high. I take high.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You're making me want to take the break in option, Seerix.

Yet what guarantees do we have that the Major isn't setting us up? Is there something we could do that would somewhat mitigate the blowback we'd receive, or at least make the situation too awkward for the Major should we be caught? Now that I think on it, I can't see how the Major would avoid the consequences, unless he insists we went rogue. Come to think of it, if we were somehow successful in completing his mission, then the both of us are unlikely to suffer the consequences of Ida informing the General about capturing a crime boss, and we'd come out smelling like roses. He gains more from our success than failure, unless there' a variable we haven't considered.

That said, we should have some security against betrayal at the very least. Can any of our cybernetics record conversations? If we get records of the Major admitting involvement.

I think it's time we talk about where we want to take Ida in the long-term. I personally want to see her initiated in Black Ops and become a major enforcer of the current regime. Regular army is all fine and dandy, but I want to see special forces.

Edit: Conspiracy theory time! Ida's sister wasn't in fact executed by Muslims, but by Europareich poseurs agitating against the Muslims to fabricate a Casus Belli.

Seerix

Arbiter
To be honest, it doesn't sound like he's setting us up. One, he clearly states that talking with the mob is pointless:
“The protesters will most likely not go away, you can stand there day and night but they’ll try to cause trouble in Gdingen or elsewhere for that matter. Sooner or later this will end badly for all of us.

And two, the only reason why he would want us to fail our new black op would be if he was himself working with the right wingers, which is way too paranoid IMO.

Monty

Arcane
I think it's time we talk about where we want to take Ida in the long-term. I personally want to see her initiated in Black Ops and become a major enforcer of the current regime. Regular army is all fine and dandy, but I want to see special forces.
So do I, and I'm sure most people here would agree. Besides, when we had a chance to vote for the Spanish mission we took it straight away. I just don't think that choosing a mission where we break into a political party's HQ is the best way to progress at this point. If we were breaking into the HQ of a criminal organisation, or infiltrating Russian territory, we'd have far less chance of being sacrificed by our own side for political reasons.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There's no such thing as too paranoid.

What's the nationality of the good Major, I wonder...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Edit: Conspiracy theory time! Ida's sister wasn't in fact executed by Muslims, but by Europareich poseurs agitating against the Muslims to fabricate a Casus Belli.

No, that took place in 2042 a year before the end of the Oil War and about four months before the French Islamic Revolution went full swing.

The time-line looks roughly like this:

- January 2039, Egyptian-Syrian coalition attacks Israel
- March 2039, Eur-Am coalition forces intervene in Saudi Arabia - escalation of conflict into a major war across the Middle-East dubbed the "Oil War"
- November 2040, Muslim riots in England - beginning of the British Islamic Revolution
- August 2042, after months of terrorist attacks across France widespread riots mark the beginning of the French Islamic Revolution
- September 2043, End of the Oil War - Paneuropeans seize the Reichstag
- May 2044, after months of "debate" and "negotiations" between EU governments the Neues Europa Ordnung charter is signed - the Europa Bundesreich comes into existence replacing the EU

Rumsfeld

Scholar
To be honest, it doesn't sound like he's setting us up. One, he clearly states that talking with the mob is pointless:
Er, that's exactly what he would do if he were trying to manipulate us into breaking into the HQ, telling us the other choice is pointless. Not sure what you mean here.

And two, the only reason why he would want us to fail our new black op would be if he was himself working with the right wingers, which is way too paranoid IMO.
Or he sees us as an insubordinate rising star and wants to eliminate us? Or is working with the Poland Nationalist Party, and aims to embarrass the military and weaken their influence in the zone, so has already maneuvered us into involving the general by going directly to him about the well-connected arms dealer? The politicians could have promised to support his career and make life difficult for the General (as they did for the previous general) in return for favours and the hope of having a tame and compromised commander if the Major rises that far.

Seems to me that the Major has managed to transfer more and more risk to both the general and us and has kept himself totally out of harms way. Quite cunning really.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Why we have to LARP criminals on EuroReich Territory? Spain was different case as it was outside our jurisdiction. If Mayor would give us signed search warrant and told us to not get caught because of political repercussions I would vote 2 as it is much more interesting choice but as is is now I see this: Middle rank officer who got stationed in Danzing for too long and made an easy life for himself. We got dishonorably discharged or send to Siberia with general, the case will be closed, ''bog'' released and he will stay in Danzing with his ass and warm nest secure. Come one no organized crime can function without contacts in Police and Government. We can trust general cause we know he was transferred from Caucasus recently.

Seerix

Arbiter
Sigh, there's nothing to support that Major is working against us or Europareich beside paranoia.

About the risks involved in option 2, how is it different from other things we've done so far? We were risking causing very messy(and bloody) incident when we decided to deal with the refugees, we risked rotting in Spanish prison, we risked death raiding the warehouse and now we can risk another death/life in prison by breaking into right wing HQ. I have some faith in Ida's abilities :(

Rumsfeld

Scholar
Sigh, there's nothing to support that Major is working against us or Europareich beside paranoia.
I realise that you think the Major is a normal Europareich officer, and we should just go along with whatever he hints (note, not orders) we should do. Fair enough. But before we do, let's consider the only evidence on his character we have, ie his reaction to our arrest of a politically-connected arms dealer.

The General wants him sent to a firing squad. Wouldn't we expect a similar reaction from the Major, another Europareich officer? No, instead he wants to go to the politicians first, and admits to us that this course of action will result in the crime kingpin getting off scot free. He even tells us that 'crossing the politicians' got the last general sent to Siberia. At this point he essentially forced us to take sides, either go along with his way of doing things or go above his head to the General. We chose the General.

So now that we've crossed him he decides we should do a risky mission like breaking into a Political Party HQ? And we're just meant to trust that this is for the best as dealing with the rabble instead will be 'pointless'? Yes, we risked ourselves in Spain and attacking the warehouse (confronting the mob wasn't in the same league, worst case we took them out). But the reality is that if either of those options had gone bad, or even if we had suffered casualties, we would have had the full support of the Europareich administration. Breaking into a Party HQ is very different. Anything goes wrong and we'll be hung out to dry.

The way I see it there are two options when it comes to the Major. Either he is a slimy career officer skilled in office politics, who will backstab us at any point if it benefits him and his career (and we've just gone over his head). Or he is actively undermining the General and the military, possibly in league with the Polish politicians. Either way, breaking into a political party's HQ is not the sort of mission to take on just because he hints that it is the best thing to do.

Seerix

Arbiter
Or he's just that normal Europareich officer, worried about where everybody gonna end up if something goes wrong and there's nothing else to it. We could go on like that forever. I'll stay with my choice, we'll see what happens.

Monty

Arcane
Yes, quite suspicious how the Major goes from not wanting to rock the boat with the politicians, to asking us to break into their HQ. And all we did in-between was go over his head to his superior.

eklektyk

Erudite
im feeling bout of paranoia flowing thru me....

if we were still in spain or siberia i would try to "arrange an accident" for our beloved major..
that fuck is getting on my nerves with his swings of objectives derectives and fuckin brilliant "sugestion for breakin"

my paranoid-o-meter is all shiny color flashes and tingling....

1 coz all that above and A our soldier should take him out in close combat wiht ease and if not lesson in humility and lecture on proper procedure will do her some good i hope

o and bring Muller along for our little talk - im starting to like that guy... he grew on me

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Votes:

aaaaaaaaaa
bbbb
c

Muller xxx
Beauvais xxx
Bosch xxx
Osterhagen xxx

Fun times in Gdingen ahead it seems. Expect the update tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom