Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ugh. Bethsda can do exploration to a degree, and they can do combat (again, to a degree), but one thing they have never -- EVER -- been able to craft are companions.

Like I said in another thread: I am mutely looking forward to Fallout 4, and have no expectations for the dialog or skill integrations (yeah, I know about the nerf), but I'll be floored if even one of the potential companions comes across with even half the personality of Christine Royce (Veronica's mute ex-girlfriend encountered in New Vegas' Dead Money DLC).

pippin

At first I didn't even realized there were companions in 3. Their pathfinding is atrocious, though... but we have to give them credit: in 3, they actually die instead of becoming unconscious. I know companions can die in NV with hardcore mode, but hardcore mode is just not interesting enough for me :P

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never used companions in these games -- they get in the way and are usually of no help. It isn't as if it's particularly difficult to kill stuff, either.

Lhynn

Arcane
Never used companions in these games -- they get in the way and are usually of no help. It isn't as if it's particularly difficult to kill stuff, either.
They actually make the game insultingly easy, especially in skyrim. thats the reason i dont use them.

Athelas

Arcane
By contrast, the older Fallouts had a surprisingly multifaceted approach to companions, where they could be more of a liability than an asset. :troll:

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I like that they probably spent more time doing capture motion of a fucking dog than they did actually writing the story for the game

pippin

One of the perks added by a FO3 dlc consisted in giving you another Dogmeat if the previous one died.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I remember when we joked about TES 6 having only 3 skills, Fightan, Magickan and Thievan, to be improved in 7 to be only 1 skill, AWSUM!!!1.
But that Bethesda would be this revolutionary... I couldn't have even imagined it.

pippin

That bit with the products made me sad because it's the same shit we saw in the E3 presentation. Toys and lights, but no game to be seen anywhere.

What is the fucking obsession with getting a dog in games? Seriously!

Validation through pandering to iconic content, at least in Fallout 4's case.

... On a deeper note, Fallout 1 was inspired (in part, some even say large part) by a 1975 post apocalyptic film called A Boy and His Dog. This is what inspired the original Dogmeat, though I consider it just another example of Bethesda's lack of creativity to include the dog in Fallout 4.

Little of what they have shown or discussed has excited me (just the increased color palette and increased depth to crafting). What intrigues me far more is what they haven't told us, which leaves me hopeful some rather large elements of the game are as of yet unrevealed (I mean, if the core plot is being kept under wraps, they've already telegraphed a view they don't have to divulge what typically gets divulged about a game pre-release). Two months before Fallout 3 released I remember loads of hands on reports and details, all centered around Megaton. I really, *really*, hope they're holding something back, besides just the story content.

History shows that if a developer is holding something back, it's because there's little to display. Remember how it was being kept secret what was behind Oblivion gates? Yeah.

True, and you're likely right. I have no faith in Bethesda anymore.

However, they are also in the envy inducing position of assured profitability, and maybe even record sales. Besides Rockstar, and publishers of major brand FPS/Sports related tripe, not many in the industry can face a release with such confidence. As it often does, this confidence has translated into a form of arrogance, hence the lack of pre-release anything.

(Article about Fallout 4 pre-orders exceeding Skyrims, at least in the UK): https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/18/fallout-4-skyrim-pc-ps4-xbox-one/ )

You mention Oblivion, but I remember it getting a lot of pre-release press, especially in Game Informer where they were given a 12 page cover spread in the October 2004 issue (mind you, the game came out in 2006). Fallout 4 in comparison was announced just this past summer, and besides the stage demo and related media interviews from the same trade show (which they moderated), nobody has gotten anything from them. This is a distinct change in PR philosophy, and one I applaud in some respects (the industry has gotten bloated with a pre-announcement philosophy), but leaves me naturally curious what is being kept under wraps.

(Link to Gameinformer covers: http://www.gameinformer.com/mag/covers.aspx )

Lhynn

Arcane
By contrast, the older Fallouts had a surprisingly multifaceted approach to companions, where they could be more of a liability than an asset. :troll:
x7FXWJI.jpg

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ion Zur has to be the most boring AAA game composer ever.

Here's how I imagine a proper Fallout theme:

Or if you want something more MAJEST!C:

hitler_07.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Only Zur pieces I ever liked:

And its cousin

They delivered a promise of a cold, vast place, melancholy and white. He has some other passable ones in the IWD 2 OST. But that's the only one I know by Zur that isn't generic. Same thing happened to Jeremy - after Morrowind/Total Annihilation it was all the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom