Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout questions (no spoilers please)

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

So I'm playing it for the first time and I've hit some roadblocks. For one, I got myself mixed up in some battle between the Children of the Cathedral and the Followers of the Apocalypse, and now I'm in the Cathedral with 5 Followers following me everywhere I go. The quest is too hard to complete (I'm level 5), I've killed Dane and some Nightkins on the second floor and I can't get rid of these Follower goons, and I also figure I'll need them later, so I don't know what to do. Two, I'm not sure where to go anyway. The game is very open but I can't seem to find quests to actually do, and the ones that seem able to do are too high level/risky (like The Gun Runners quest or clearing out Deathclaws, for example, or visiting The Glow so I could join the Brotherhood, or even the quest to help the hydraponics in Adytum because the dead body is surrounded by said Deathclaws). Am I missing something here or is The Glow not too dangerous and I can go there? Just want to ask before wasting the trip there, and I'm also trying to find the caravans so I figured to try and join the Brotherhood to ask them more about them.

Please don't add any spoilers, but a general spoiler-less tip would be great. I take it my family of 5 will be coming wherever I go, so might as well pick a place and go there. :)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I'm playing it for the first time and I've hit some roadblocks. For one, I got myself mixed up in some battle between the Children of the Cathedral and the Followers of the Apocalypse, and now I'm in the Cathedral with 5 Followers following me everywhere I go. The quest is too hard to complete (I'm level 5), I've killed Dane and some Nightkins on the second floor and I can't get rid of these Follower goons, and I also figure I'll need them later, so I don't know what to do. Two, I'm not sure where to go anyway. The game is very open but I can't seem to find quests to actually do, and the ones that seem able to do are too high level/risky (like The Gun Runners quest or clearing out Deathclaws, for example, or visiting The Glow so I could join the Brotherhood, or even the quest to help the hydraponics in Adytum because the dead body is surrounded by said Deathclaws). Am I missing something here or is The Glow not too dangerous and I can go there? Just want to ask before wasting the trip there, and I'm also trying to find the caravans so I figured to try and join the Brotherhood to ask them more about them.

you managed to get to a late game area very, very early. How did you even end up in the Boneyard? What's on your map other than Vault 13, Shady Sands, Vault 15, The BoS, The Glow, and The Boneyard?

here's a hint: between Vault 13/Shady Sands and the Boneyard, you may have missed some super important points of interest. Fallout normally does a pretty good job of funneling you to those areas on your first playthrough. Try talking to the locals in Shady Sands to get directions to other settlements.

Deleted Member 16721

I figured it out guys, thanks. The tip about The Glow and radiation was the key. Thing is, I was about to head there anyway since it was the last resort option I had, heh. Thanks for the help, I should be good now. Great game.

Deleted Member 16721

you managed to get to a late game area very, very early. How did you even end up in the Boneyard? What's on your map other than Vault 13, Shady Sands, Vault 15, The BoS, The Glow, and The Boneyard?

here's a hint: between Vault 13/Shady Sands and the Boneyard, you may have missed some super important points of interest. Fallout normally does a pretty good job of funneling you to those areas on your first playthrough. Try talking to the locals in Shady Sands to get directions to other settlements.

I have no idea how I got there, haha. I followed a traveling merchant, I think, who said he was going to Adytum. I think you're referring to The Hub and Junktown, though? I cleared Junktown I believe and did some stuff at The Hub. I was all over the map messing around, just trying to gather information. I love how it's open and requires you to figure things out yourself, by even being realistically logical. I figured, the Brotherhood must be good with tech, they might be able to help with the water chip, so I pursued that. Among other things. It's a very rich and rewarding experience so far, I like it a lot.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I have no idea how I got there, haha. I followed a traveling merchant, I think, who said he was going to Adytum. I think you're referring to The Hub and Junktown, though? I cleared Junktown I believe and did some stuff at The Hub. I was all over the map messing around, just trying to gather information. I love how it's open and requires you to figure things out yourself, by even being realistically logical. I figured, the Brotherhood must be good with tech, they might be able to help with the water chip, so I pursued that. Among other things. It's a very rich and rewarding experience so far, I like it a lot.

I see it. I wonder if your knowledge of the BoS in later games led you off the beaten path.

Enjoy your long walk to The Glow—hope you’ve still got a decent amount of time on the clock.

Deleted Member 16721

I see it. I wonder if your knowledge of the BoS in later games led you off the beaten path.

Enjoy your long walk to The Glow—hope you’ve still got a decent amount of time on the clock.

A little bit, although some mentioned in the game they are good with technology, so I figured it was worth a shot. That and the other quests I had were way too hard for my current level, so my last shot (I felt) was The Glow and getting in with The Brotherhood, if for nothing else than information on the caravans (and possibly water chip).

Quick question. I did Irwin's quest in The Hub, getting rid of the Raiders on his farm, but one escaped off the map. Now Irwin won't complete the quest. Is there some console command or some way to complete that quest with some trick? Any way to get the Raider to come back?

Deleted Member 16721

Anyone on the Irwin thing? Should I just use a save file editor and give myself the proper rewards?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
fluent

The reward is amazing. If you edit your save, give yourself the .223 pistol as the reward—best non-energy pistol in the game—along with 500xp and +2 reputation.

It’s also possible he’s still on the map and you’ll see him if you adjust your resolution.

While you’re in the hub, it’s always good to stop off at the library. Those skill books restock and they’re amazing. IIRC librarian lady has some other cool stuff.

Maybe stop by the water merchants if you’re hurting for time?

Deleted Member 16721

fluent

The reward is amazing. If you edit your save, give yourself the .223 pistol as the reward—best non-energy pistol in the game—along with 500xp and +2 reputation.

It’s also possible he’s still on the map and you’ll see him if you adjust your resolution.

While you’re in the hub, it’s always good to stop off at the library. Those skill books restock and they’re amazing. IIRC librarian lady has some other cool stuff.

Maybe stop by the water merchants if you’re hurting for time?

Thanks!

I have 52 days left, so I'm waiting for a bit to purchase the water from the Water Merchants. I will check out the skill book restocks. I got an awesome laser pistol but I didn't realize Energy Weapons was a skill and I'm -4 in it, heh. I lost Dogmeat in the battle with the Raiders. RIP. I'll adjust the resolution and see if he's still there, but I did see him run into the red part of the map, but it could be resolution indeed. I'll edit the file and give myself that stuff. I have a pretty awesome 14mm pistol now that packs a punch, so if the .223 is better then that will be sweet. Thanks again for the tips.

Deleted Member 16721

Does anyone know of a Fallout editor where I'd be able to add the .223 pistol to my inventory? The one I'm using doesn't have an inventory option...

Edit - I got close to the red part of the map and combat initiated. Ian went off screen for a few turns and then killed the raider. Got it done the legit way. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

So just curious, but what's the average level you get to in this game? I'm wondering if at level 7 now, my Energy Weapons being a -4, I should bother at all with raising it. I doubt I'll ever get it high enough unless I find someone with books (no spoilers there, please). Maybe I should just focus on my Small Guns which I currently have a 79% in.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
So just curious, but what's the average level you get to in this game? I'm wondering if at level 7 now, my Energy Weapons being a -4, I should bother at all with raising it. I doubt I'll ever get it high enough unless I find someone with books (no spoilers there, please). Maybe I should just focus on my Small Guns which I currently have a 79% in.

Jesus. What are your SPECIAL stats and how low is your INT? I think the level cap is at 20. If you have decent intelligence, you can get energy weapons to a good place in 4-5 levels, but the rest of your skills will suffer. I like to take the Tag perk at level 12 to give energy weapons a big boost. Really depends on your build. The better energy weapons are very powerful, though.

FYI: stats can go above 100%. If you use guns, 79% in small guns at level 7 is pretty low, especially if you tagged it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You rarely need more than 100-120% in any weapon skill. Once you get Small Guns to a respectable level (which basically means 95% accuracy) you can focus on Energy Weapons. They are strong during endgame albeit you could use Small Guns all the way until the end if you wanted.

Deleted Member 16721

Jesus. What are your SPECIAL stats and how low is your INT? I think the level cap is at 20. If you have decent intelligence, you can get energy weapons to a good place in 4-5 levels, but the rest of your skills will suffer. I like to take the Tag perk at level 12 to give energy weapons a big boost. Really depends on your build. The better energy weapons are very powerful, though.

FYI: stats can go above 100%. If you use guns, 79% in small guns at level 7 is pretty low, especially if you tagged it.

I didn't tag it, I tagged Science, Speech and Barter. Speech is 100%, Science is 131% and Barter is 93%. I'm wearing Power Armor and using the .223 pistol. I just wasn't sure if there was 4-5 levels left in the game to start working on energy weapons now, but if you talk about level 12 and such, I must not be very far at all. I'll start working on it next level.

Overall stats are:
ST 7
PE 7
EN 4
CH 9
IN 10
AG 6
LK 7

You rarely need more than 100-120% in any weapon skill. Once you get Small Guns to a respectable level (which basically means 95% accuracy) you can focus on Energy Weapons. They are strong during endgame albeit you could use Small Guns all the way until the end if you wanted.

Yeah, I'm going to switch over as I said above, because I want to use the laser pistols and such. Found a laser rifle but couldn't carry it, not like I can use it now anyway.

I'm again kind of wondering where to go, though. But it might be really northwest, if you guys catch my drift. Again, no spoilers please.

Deleted Member 16721

Have you found the water chip yet? If not, you've missed some significant stuff.

Nah man, haven't found anything. I have a quest to help fix the hydroponics but it involves sneaking by a bunch of deathclaws. That's my next step. Was at the Necropolis and all the ghouls attacked me and I killed them all, didn't see an entrance to a vault anywhere. I'm kind of at a loss of what to really do besides head very far northwest for Maxson and the Brotherhood, but first try the hydroponics quest. I also heard that a certain vault was built under the Cathedral I think, so I've been hunting for that, but it's probably late game stuff. I have 117 days left after buying the water, so I dunno. Not sure what I could have missed.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Have you found the water chip yet? If not, you've missed some significant stuff.

Nah man, haven't found anything. I have a quest to help fix the hydroponics but it involves sneaking by a bunch of deathclaws. That's my next step. Was at the Necropolis and all the ghouls attacked me and I killed them all, didn't see an entrance to a vault anywhere. I'm kind of at a loss of what to really do besides head very far northwest for Maxson and the Brotherhood, but first try the hydroponics quest. I also heard that a certain vault was built under the Cathedral I think, so I've been hunting for that, but it's probably late game stuff. I have 117 days left after buying the water, so I dunno. Not sure what I could have missed.

you killed every single ghoul in Necropolis? even the ones in the sewers?

Deleted Member 16721

you killed every single ghoul in Necropolis? even the ones in the sewers?

No I haven't been in the sewers, will have to explore it in the daytime so I can see better. I didn't see any sewer entrance the first time I was there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also usually tag small weapons at start and tag energy weapons later. Or if you are going melee tgat is only weapon skill to tag.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

asking fluent how low his int is made me laugh.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There might be something wrong with the way you're clearing locations. You can't have cleared Shady Sands, Junktown and the Hub and still only be level 5. Don't rush, talk to NPC, try to enjoy the journey, you're not doing a speedrun. You'll get to know the game in a much better way and you'll follow more closely the difficulty curve. Because no, you're not supposed to be anywhere near the Cathedral at level 5. Level 5 should be the beginning of Junktown, I think.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom