Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout questions (no spoilers please)

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Dude, I didn't see the Master in the LA vault, just a nuclear warhead that I detonated. Where the hell was he hiding in there???

Deleted Member 16721

Son of a...he's through that well-concealed door down by the computers and cathedral followers, isn't he? I didn't even see that ish the first time. Dang flabbit.

Deleted Member 16721

Very serious. But ok, reloaded a previous save and talked to him. Awesome stuff. I recorded a bonus episode for my Let's Play - one being where I killed him, the other being where I got the evil/bad ending by joining The Unity. Shame I didn't get slides though to see how the mutant army conquered the wasteland and see the effects of The Unity. Pretty neat though. Thanks for the tips, I didn't read the wiki other than his location and got most of his dialogue in the game. Had I been playing again, I wouldn't side with him and would kill him instead. That would be my choice.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very serious. But ok, reloaded a previous save and talked to him. Awesome stuff. I recorded a bonus episode for my Let's Play - one being where I killed him, the other being where I got the evil/bad ending by joining The Unity. Shame I didn't get slides though to see how the mutant army conquered the wasteland and see the effects of The Unity. Pretty neat though. Thanks for the tips, I didn't read the wiki other than his location and got most of his dialogue in the game. Had I been playing again, I wouldn't side with him and would kill him instead. That would be my choice.

There's a third choice you missed.

Deleted Member 16721

Arcanum will break you.

I did finish PS:T recently, granted it was the Enhanced Edition, but it should give me some small semblance of what to expect, eh? Also played through Bloodlines 3 separate times recently, so I say bring on the CRPG goodness.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Awesome review. I liked reading it. Now you understand why I made fun of you for years for saying you have not played Fallout 1. And you also understand why I am bashing Bethesda so much all the time. I am still salty that after Fallout 1 and 2 they made THAT SHIT called Fallout 3/4 :negative:

Deleted Member 16721

Awesome review. I liked reading it. Now you understand why I made fun of you for years for saying you have not played Fallout 1. And you also understand why I am bashing Bethesda so much all the time. I am still salty that after Fallout 1 and 2 they made THAT SHIT called Fallout 3/4 :negative:

I figured we had more in common than not. I once said Fallout 3 was better than NV, lol. Only because I played NV still during my console years and spent about 60 hours completing it, while with Fallout 3 you can just rummage through trash bins in abandoned warehouses for hundreds of hours. Played NV again recently and my god that game is incline, and now playing Fallout 1 I can see some resemblance to it (armed merchant caravans, various "minor factions" pitted against each other, etc.).

Deleted Member 16721

We need a "Slow On The Uptake" tag.

Well to be fair, I've been harping on these same RPG tenets since playing Gothic 1 and 2 in 2012 or so. Those are more action-oriented CRPGs but the design of the handcrafted worlds, handplaced loot, non-level scaled, sense of real progression designs are similar to Fallout. But yeah, I've been a little slow to get to the original Fallout. My bad. :lol:

agris

Arcane
Patron
fluent did you read the all the holodisks from the glow? And talk to Harold in The Hub? You would have run into him while looking into the missing caravans quest for Crimson Caravans. What about Maxson in the BOS, on the bottom level? If you aren't quite sure who/what the Master is, you should be able to figure it out from the above. There's a lot of interesting world-building in Fallout that rewards the attentive player.

Also, in the Military Base, there's a lot you can do to disable the forcefields. You can use a tool on a damaged forcefield transmitter to temporarily disable it, and you can damage (turn orange) a forcefield by detonating explosives near the emitter. The emitter is a discrete piece of scenery you can view via the "Look" action.. and just one more reason not to play these games in modern resolutions.

edit: you can also use a radio item on a computer on the first level to hook another radio into it which toggles the force fields on and off. That's why there's a radio or two on the mutants when you enter the base. I think examining the one(s) they drop even gives a hint about this, but I learned about it from a walkthrough to be fair.

Deleted Member 16721

fluent did you read the all the holodisks from the glow? And talk to Harold in The Hub? You would have run into him while looking into the missing caravans quest for Crimson Caravans. What about Maxson in the BOS, on the bottom level? If you aren't quite sure who/what the Master is, you should be able to figure it out from the above. There's a lot of interesting world-building in Fallout that rewards the attentive player.

Also, in the Military Base, there's a lot you can do to disable the forcefields. You can use a tool on a damaged forcefield transmitter to temporarily disable it, and you can damage (turn orange) a forcefield by detonating explosives near the emitter. The emitter is a discrete piece of scenery you can view via the "Look" action.. and just one more reason not to play these games in modern resolutions.

edit: you can also use a radio item on a computer on the first level to hook another radio into it which toggles the force fields on and off. That's why there's a radio or two on the mutants when you enter the base. I think examining the one(s) they drop even gives a hint about this, but I learned about it from a walkthrough to be fair.

I was wondering why they both had radios. I used my very high Science skill to hack the computers. Pretty cool you could use explosives and a tool though.

I did meet Maxson and Harold. Harold's story was great. I loved finding out about how Harold's friend Grey (I think that's his name?) fell into the Toontown dip and became The Master. Maxson had a devious past that I was surprised to hear. I was also surprised I never "leveled up" in the Brotherhood to become a Knight or Scribe, and I never found a companion to travel with after Ian and Dogmeat died. I also only explored the level of The Glow that had the dead Brotherhood Knight on it - I had rope but couldn't figure out how to activate the elevator or continue downward. It kept shocking me when I tried to use it and the hacked computer didn't seem to make a difference (emergency power on or off, the elevator still wouldn't open). Will have to save that for another run. There is a bit of that detailed world-building and I enjoyed what I saw of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

You should load up a game and replay the glow, it's one of the best pieces of environmental storytelling I've experienced.

Interesting. If I can figure out the elevator thing I'll give it a try.

Master

Arbiter
Just save it for another replay, its not going anywhere. And you shouldnt have read the wiki about the Master. Great job suggesting that, Codex.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Interesting. If I can figure out the elevator thing I'll give it a try.

Just keep in mind that nearly every item you find in Fallout has a use in the gameworld. Also as people already said, it's best to play it in lower resolution so you don't miss any clues and visual details.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
fluent

It's nice to witness someone awakening to the light side.

By the way, did you try Arx Fatalis, as you seem to be interested in action cRPG.
I'm not sure how relevant it is to play it now but the ambient and spells casting (you draw runes on the screen with the mouse cursor) was amazing back then.

Well, there is some "hidden" gems in the codex's Top 70 (some crap too, unfortunately )

As for Fallout, you should leave it at that, play arcanum, then Fallout 2 when you feel like it and then, at some point, re-play Fallout 1 to deal with it differently.

Deleted Member 16721

fluentAs for Fallout, you should leave it at that, play arcanum, then Fallout 2 when you feel like it and then, at some point, re-play Fallout 1 to deal with it differently.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Arcanum is next up but will be awhile before I finish Kingmaker.

Just save it for another replay, its not going anywhere. And you shouldnt have read the wiki about the Master. Great job suggesting that, Codex.

I actually didn't read the Master's wiki, just his location so I could find him myself. I'll save some of that lore for next time through.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'll save some of that lore for next time through.
And if you're actually trying to get the most out of these olds games, you need to play them in a similar resolution to their original. That doesn't mean no widescreen, but it does mean no HD.

Deleted Member 16721

And if you're actually trying to get the most out of these olds games, you need to play them in a similar resolution to their original. That doesn't mean no widescreen, but it does mean no HD.

Yeah, I realized that about halfway through my first run. Once I changed resolution it was a lot better and you could see clearer. I'll keep that in mind for Arcanum too, although I don't know what exactly it *should* look like. It just fits my monitor with no option to change resolution, is that about right?

agris

Arcane
Patron
fluent there’s a thread around here called what’s the best way to play old games. Take a look at it. There’s another recent one on the arcanum widescreen patch, look at that too.

Lastly, I suggest that you don’t always read the codex on mobile. Sometimes peoples’ signatures have useful information in them.

Deleted Member 16721

fluent there’s a thread around here called what’s the best way to play old games. Take a look at it. There’s another recent one on the arcanum widescreen patch, look at that too.

Lastly, I suggest that you don’t always read the codex on mobile. Sometimes peoples’ signatures have useful information in them.

Mobile on this site sucks, too many ads. Instead of digging though can you give me the quick summary of playing Arcanum? I already read the beautifully-written manual by the way. That thing is how manuals should be made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom