Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus on IWD3 and More

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
IWD 3 could be the first console D&D RPG since Pool of Radiance in 1990. Knowing Atari it will be a PC exclusive and sell like crap or a dumbed down multiplatform hak and slash that sells a million and a half while they think of ways to mess up IWD 4 to sell 2 million.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Kaanyrvhok said:
IWD 3 could be the first console D&D RPG since Pool of Radiance in 1990. Knowing Atari it will be a PC exclusive and sell like crap or a dumbed down multiplatform hak and slash that sells a million and a half while they think of ways to mess up IWD 4 to sell 2 million.

You wouldn't have to dumb it down as much if you just made it turnbased. I mean srpgs sell pretty respectable on consoles. Why can't western companies realize this?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Before Obsidian begins on its own work, Urquhart says there are a few other projects in the pipeline, and one is an unannounced title we'll be hearing about soon. "There is a property that we are working on, that we can't talk about yet," he teases. "It's something we've been working on since the middle of last year, just with a small team, it's only been five or ten people. It's a license that you would go, well you gotta do it. It's not a license where it's, 'Ok, we'll take that and we can do something with it.' It's more like, well that's once in a lifetime." (Presumably, this is the Wheel of Time game, but Urquhart didn't say more on the subject.)
Arcanum

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Icewind Dale 3? I'm interested in that. As long as it doesn't play like some Bioturd action game.

Black

Arcane
Here's hoping that IWD3 will be turd-based but that's probably only wishful thinking.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Black said:
Here's hoping that IWD3 will be turd-based but that's probably only wishful thinking.

How does that work exactly? Like if I put more points into my Eating Skill I shit bigger turds to fling at my enemies? And perhaps have a larger Area of Effect?

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
IronicNeurotic said:
You wouldn't have to dumb it down as much if you just made it turnbased. I mean srpgs sell pretty respectable on consoles. Why can't western companies realize this?

JRPG blob combat ruined TB combat for people who couldnt afford a PC which is one of the reasons Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and FO 3 outsold FF XIII in the states. I wouldnt mind realtime pause if you can use more than 4 party members. I would prefer rtp if it improved on the Infinity Engine with shit like flight, moving while shooting, using cover, and laying down. Fat chance of that. I'm better off joining the hive in a call for TB combat. :rpgcodex:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Kaanyrvhok said:
IronicNeurotic said:

JRPG blob combat ruined TB combat for people who couldnt afford a PC which is one of the reasons Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and FO 3 outsold FF XIII in the states. I wouldnt mind realtime pause if you can use more than 4 party members. I would prefer rtp if it improved on the Infinity Engine with shit like flight, moving while shooting, using cover, and laying down. Fat chance of that. I'm better off joining the hive in a call for TB combat. :rpgcodex:

I'm not talking about fucking Final Fantasy XIII you dipshit. I'm talking about Tactics Ogre, Disgaea and stuff, you moron.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
IronicNeurotic said:
I'm not talking about fucking Final Fantasy XIII you dipshit. I'm talking about Tactics Ogre, Disgaea and stuff, you moron.

I'm not talking about you I'm talking about console gamers in general. Games with shitty TB combat held the mainstream and created a perception that TB combat is shit.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:
"that reads as an insult. "

Not to mention ignorant and hypocritical since Obsidian isn't exactly anti console either nor is BIO anti PC since all their games other than Sonic: RPG are also PC.Plus, waht does BIO have to do with IWD3? It's not like they have the license.

R00fles!

Technically he meant around the time of Icewind Dale 2 is when BioWare started to focus on consoles - around the same year(s). I.e. Jade Empire.Both were in the 2002-2006 era.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"that reads as an insult. "

Not to mention ignorant and hypocritical since Obsidian isn't exactly anti console either nor is BIO anti PC since all their games other than Sonic: RPG are also PC.Plus, waht does BIO have to do with IWD3? It's not like they have the license.

R00fles!

KOTOR was released on PC 4 months after it was released on xbox. Jade Empire took over a year to port to PC. Mass Effect over 6 months. See the pattern, oh exalted R00fles-man?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Funny thing is EA once has a Ultima X in development years ago by some internal studio, and it was multiplayer driven. It was soon canceled.

Either way, Ultima IX was the only Ultima I ever played and despite the bugs and horrible framerate I thought it was one of the better RPGs I've played.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KOTOR was released on PC 4 months after it was released on xbox. Jade Empire took over a year to port to PC. Mass Effect over 6 months. See the pattern, oh exalted R00fles-man?"

All of them are on PC.

And, it's nice to conviently forget DA.

Moran.

Black

Arcane
Volourn said:
"KOTOR was released on PC 4 months after it was released on xbox. Jade Empire took over a year to port to PC. Mass Effect over 6 months. See the pattern, oh exalted R00fles-man?"

All of them are on PC.

And, it's nice to conviently forget DA.

Moran.
Well, no wonder people want to forget DA. Can't blame them.

Ebonsword

Arcane
As much as I would adore IWD3 to be turn-based, I'm not holding my breath.

What was the last big-budget turn-based RPG for the PC? Temple of Elemental Evil? Yeah, as soon as the suits see how well *that* sold, there is no way that they are going to green light IWD3 as turn-based.

What makes it even less likely is the fact the first two IWD games weren't even turn-based. Has any big-name franchise gone back to being turn-based after abandoning it?

We'll be lucky to control a party of more than three characters, let alone have it be turn-based.

Drakron

Arcane
Being a realistic I dont want IWD3 for the following reasons.

It would be using the4th Edition rules and it would take place in the 4th edition FR setting.

Now from what I heard its not going to happen because WotC wants to regain the D&D license as fast as possible and are sabotaging any effort from Atari from further publishing any D&D game (that is easy since WotC have veto power over development) so IWD3 published by Atari is very unlikely, of course that makes me happy because that means no 4th edition IWD.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While I have no experience at all with playing 4th edition, I have heard mention that the only good thing it could be used for is a computer game.

Drakron

Arcane
Lockkaliber said:
I have heard mention that the only good thing it could be used for is a computer game.

That is not a good thing, pretty much ANY rule system can be implemented were its just a question of how faithful is the implementation.

4th Edition seem to have taken the WoW approach from the comments and the little I seen of it so its the opposite, not a system that can be used for a computer game but a cRPG ruleset on a tabletop.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What makes it even less likely is the fact the first two IWD games weren't even turn-based. Has any big-name franchise gone back to being turn-based after abandoning it?"

Huh/ When did IWD series 'abandon' TB ? It was *never* turnbase. FFS

tehRPness

Educated
Drakron said:
Lockkaliber said:
I have heard mention that the only good thing it could be used for is a computer game.

That is not a good thing, pretty much ANY rule system can be implemented were its just a question of how faithful is the implementation.

4th Edition seem to have taken the WoW approach from the comments and the little I seen of it so its the opposite, not a system that can be used for a computer game but a cRPG ruleset on a tabletop.
I always got the impression that 4E would do quite well in an cRPG. Or maybe just in an action game, considering how 4E is even faster and actionish than the other Es. I'd bitch about that, but I'm gonna hurl if I see one more decline emoticon today.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sgc_meltdown said:
Could perhaps IWD3 be the Dragon Age to Dungeon Siege 3's Mass Effect?

Philosoraptor.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom