Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamasutra reopens RPG grave

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by suibhne, Apr 11, 2007.

1. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    Following up on <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17512">an earlier newspost</a>, be advised that Gamasutra continues to peddle its dastardly fiction that the RPG genre predates <i>Oblivion</i>. Author Matt Barton concludes his series on RPG history with <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070411/barton_01.shtml">The Platinum and Modern Ages (1994-2004)</a>.

In this final installment, Barton touches on RPG titles mostly forgotten in today's market - for example, <i>Shadows over Riva</i>, <i>Amberstar</i>, and obscure Rogue-like <i>Diablo</i>. At its best, his article also contextualizes tried-and-true classics like <i>Daggerfall</i> and <i>Darklands</i> within a longer cultural tradition. This concluding piece is more difficult to follow than earlier installments, however, partly because it's less chronologically linear. (He missed the memo from modern RPG designers: linear is the new pink!) This period in RPG history is noteworthy for the end of long-established franchises like <i>Ultima</i> and <i>Might and Magic</i>, and for the progressive dismantling of previous game design traditions by new titles like <i>Ultima Underworld</i> and <i>Fallout</i>; the article is not always an effective guide.

Barton's conclusion is interesting - that "the best CRPGs of all time have been far more a matter of craft than revolution, of paradigms coming together rather than breaking apart" - but his neglect of the indie RPG scene leads him to miss one of the most compelling emerging stories within the genre: the redefinition (de-definition?) of "RPG" by mainstream market successes such as <i>Knights of the Old Republic</i> and <i>Morrowind</i>, and its potential re-reinvention by the persistent indie RPG community.

^ Top  
  2. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    That was solid. Stuff like that is why I gave up hype-filled print magazines in favor of web articles. That was written by a true RPG fan. :)

^ Top  
  3. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "the redefinition (de-definition?) of "RPG" by mainstream market successes such as Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind"

Eh?

MW is nothing but an updated version of DF.

Not to mention what exatcly is the 'old skool' defintion of RPG?

Party based dungeon crawls ala GB games, Wizardry, M&?M et al?

Story focused like the FF games?

RT solo character large, empty world like DF?

Games like FO?

Seriously, how can you redefine something that didn't really have a set defintion to begin with?

Even in the guy's history, he goes over tons of games that were all considered RPGs in one wya or other depsite being vastly different from one another.

R00fles!

P.S. The article is a nice triup down memory lane; but adds nothing really new nor is really all that pertinent.

^ Top  
  4. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Look, seeing how it has bits like this:

and how it managed to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when thinking about those times and at the same time induce sadnes concerning the present...

Stop fucking bitching about how this article doesn't add anything new when it's one of the very few pieces that even as much as mention the glorious past that the now desolated genre that's called "crpg" has. There's just not all that much to say about those games that hasn't been said before - still it was a very insightfull article, and more importantly, there's no need to bitch about this kind of publication when 95% of what you can get is Hype and Obliviloving

^ Top  
  5. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    If it's posted, ther eis a need to bitch. Espicially, since the article isn't perfect. If soemthing is not eprfetc; the Codex is the place to bitch about it's flaws. Period.

I'm also surprised nobody ehre has bitched about him calling BG 'turn based combat'. R00fles!

^ Top  
  6. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    I agree with Volourn. The fact that its better than most stuff out there doesnt make the article immune to critique.

Some parts were quite enjoyable, then again parts like this were horrible:
    What the hell?

^ Top  
  7. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    I wasn't talking about how it isn't open to any critique.
    I just happen to dislike the damning, bashing kind of criticizing that refuses to appreciate a piece for what it is because one doesn't agree with every single point it makes.

Edit:

Yes, I can see how parts like

would detract from the overall quality of the article. "Wow, it has day/night cycles! It's totally like U7 all over again!!!(!!!!!)"

My point about not damning the whole thing because of some controversional parts still stands. Oh, and KOTOR was a very fun, if forgettable, experience for me.

^ Top  
  8. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Who said they didn;'t appreciate it.

I, afterall, did state quite clearly in my intiial post thta it was a nice trip down memory lane.

So, how in the fuck did I do this "I just happen to dislike the damning, bashing kind of criticizing that refuses to appreciate a piece for what it is"

You, Fellow Poster, are being foolish. Not surprising to find such foolishness on the Codex though.

R00fles!

^ Top  
  9. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    It must be hard for you, the last bastion of intelligence and decency on these boards, to cope with "fellow posters" like me. However, it would have been nice to start with something positive about how it's good to read about some truely remarkable games from time to time instead of pointing out some (and not even the worst!) flaws.

The guy does seem to have his heart in the right place as far as rpgs are concerned, fuck some slip ups or different oppinions here and there on his part.

^ Top  
  10. Ion Flux Savant

Ion Flux
    Project: Eternity
    This is actually a pretty good point. I know some people are quite dogmatic about what constitutes an RPG, but in reality the lines on the Venn diagram are pretty fuzzy.

But if the article does nothing more than introduce some people to the truly great games of the genre, then it really is worthwhile.

^ Top  
  11. Section8 Erudite

Section8
    Fixed.

^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Amen.

^ Top  
  13. stargelman Scholar

stargelman
    Bzzzzzzt, thank you for playing.

^ Top  
  14. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    I was disappointed with the article because I thought the first two installments were tighter and more logical. As I mentioned in the newspost, I also thought he missed some of the interesting story that could have been told about RPGs since the early or mid '90s. I'm still glad the article exists, especially to give context for new RPG "fans" who didn't play anything prior to Morrowind or Oblivion.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)