Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with Radio Stations

Mark Richard

Arcane
Grand Theft Auto - Bound to be the first name on anyone's lips. GTA radio stations are stuffed with popular licenced music, not to mention talk shows and advertisements dripping with satire and unique to that universe. Vice City is hard to beat because of its classic 80s soundtrack, but it also has a brilliant talk show called Pressing Issues. With roughly 100 minutes of runtime the host Maurice Chavez must run the gauntlet of nutjobs from all walks of life and somehow maintain his sanity.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Though they don't present anywhere near the amount of content GTA's radio stations do, Bloodlines makes an effort to throw in a healthy variety of fake advertisements. The main draw here is The Deb of the Night. Cultured, intelligent, and sensuous, Deb deals with exactly the sort of callers you'd expect to find on a midnight talk show.

Fallout 3 - Its ironic that Fallout 3 produces so few memorable NPCs in comparison to every other Fallout game, and yet the radio DJ Three Dog remains one of the series strongest personalities. A post-apocalyptic hellscape doesn't seem so bad when Three Dog's in your ear, sharing news and advice before playing another song from the 1930-1960s era.

Dead State - The radio is an essential stop each morning before heading out, as the DJ unlocks new locations and points you in the direction of loot and survivors. This entry is a little weak because there's no sound involved, its all text boxes.

The Movies - The objective of this game is to lead a studio through several eras of cinema, so 1 minute of playtime represents about a month. In practice this means half a dozen radio personalities get character development spanning years, growing and changing to reflect the times. The chatter goes on to exceed the game's release date, continuing until 2026. Beyond that I think there's still news announcements about alien attacks and such.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Yeah. Euro/American truck simulator has built in internet radio support. I like to listen to 80s music while delivering frozen corn. It's more fun than most RPGs today.

grimace

Arcane
Actual streaming radio with schedule and DJs in Shroud of the Avatar.

SotA_StreamingRadio.jpg

Portable-Aether-Vibration-Device.png

The Aether Vibration Amplifier is a wireless device that plays streamed audio from a Moon Tower to an in-home decoration.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Avatars_Radio
http://sotawiki.net/sota/Community:Radio_Free_Britannia

Freddie

Savant
Radio stations which have content reactive to game play.

Saints Row series III and IV
has pretty good radio stations. Can't comment about II myself, as it simply refused to work with my PC but I'm inclined to believe that is good as mentioned earlier.

Forza Horizon 3 has a radio stations and even game play mechanic tied to them as Skill Songs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom