Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ghost Song: A Journey of Hope (atmospheric sci-fi metroidvania)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
I've been watching this game since it went through Steam Greenlight I don't even know how many years ago (5-6?). It looks great, but I can't believe how long it's been in development.

I personally wouldn't pre-order it based on that. Would love to see it finally release though.

Falksi

Arcane
I mean, it looks good, but FFS couldn't it have been at least a tiny bit less like Super Metroid in terms of presentation?

There's being inspired by something, then flat out copying it and this looks the latter.

Modron

Arcane
Dev on steam 3 days ago saying it will come out this year not saying it will but at least they are still there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Suddenly a demo is available on Steam. Probably for the upcoming Steam Next Fest but two weeks ealirer.

Modron

Arcane
Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Way too many good games coming out at once, but I still had to go ahead and get this. After watching it and rooting for this guy for 7 years, there's no way I can pass up supporting what looks like a very cool game. Going to check it out now.

Zariusz

Arbiter
So after almost a decade its finally out... i really expected this to end like some generic kickstarter forgotten vapourware but its somehow out. This game had to change engine and/or be remade from the ground up at least three times as far as i remember, well i can only hope that it was worth it after all those years.

Jinn

Arcane
So, is it good?

Can't say for sure after only two hours, but all indications are pointing to yes, very good, for me anyway. Atmosphere is great, cool upgrades and minor RPG elements, fun exploration already, decent challenge, nice music, alright writing. Extremely excited to play more. Can't stop thinking about it today.

fork

So, apparently it has some kind of scaling where enemy hp bloat for weapons you pick up or something, it has difficulty settings (yes, this is a downside), full voice acting (yes, this is a downside), it's 10 hours short, controls are retarded (movement is mapped to analogue stick instead of d-pad, aiming is on left stick (should be right stick)...

Nah, not for me. Maybe in a sale.

Lautreamont

Augur
I'm 6 hours into it and have probably seen 80% of the map. Supposedly the game is around 8-10 hours if played leisurely. Overall I've enjoyed this and don't regret paying full price. The game is on the easier side of metroidvanias, only moderately challenging during some boss fights. The death penalty of cutting max HP like Dark Souls 2 is apparently a deal-breaker for many on reddit--it's probably the main source of angst and complaint about this game. Using the standard currency dropped by enemies you can repair the HP bar at fast travel points, but by mid-game when you're wanting to rush back to a boss, it means having to farm a bit. On normal, the enemies scale to your level which is indeed dumb and a lazy effort to increase difficulty for trash mobs that are already bullet sponges. Scaling discourages grinding, too, a temptation you'll have once you start finding more modules (equivalent to Hollow Knight charms) and need to level up to equip them. I started another game in explorer mode to see how differently it played. Only changes I noticed are the removal of the death penalty and scaling mechanic. I'd suggest explorer mode for a better experience. HP bloat only serves to aggravate and waste time when you've memorized enemy patterns.

I would naturally recommend other metroidvanias before this one, but we've had some disappointing ones lately such as Moonscars and Salt and Sacrifice. So for the short but sweet quality you get here, it's a 8/10.

+ Atmosphere is excellent between the music, art style, and mood conveyed by the biomes and NPCs you find. An impressive achievement for an indie developer and almost at Hollow Knight quality.
+ Metroid-like combat is pretty good, mixing shooting and melee. You can level up three stats (gunpower, vigor, and resolve) depending on your combat preferences of being tanky or doing ranged damage
+ Interesting gun variety, melee weapon movesets, and secret items to find (one gives you an extra mid-air jump so you can triple jump).
+ Exploration is rewarded and balanced well; the urge to find modules, weapons, and abilities like dash and double jump kept me trudging deeper into the map.
+ Story, writing, and voice-acting is uneven at times but surprisingly above average; I've seen much worse in AAA games.

- Too short for a game that was in development this long.
- Few save and fast travel points. Backtracking is a staple of the genre, but the map didn't have to be this stingy with checkpoints.
- The main objective entails finding ship parts strewn about all corners of the world map. Once you pick up a part, you can't use fast travel points and must backtrack across multiple biomes. Special enemies and obstacles spawn while carrying a ship part. I didn't care for this design decision because it felt like an artificial inflation of the game length: force the player to walk back through all the areas again and fight harder enemies.
- Bosses are unremarkable and none seem very grandiose or memorable.

Tip for anyone wanting an easier experience: at the start of the game, if you take a left instead of a right you can immediately fight some sort of miniboss. When you're learning the controls and how combat works this is a frustrating fight at level 1. He is an absurd bullet sponge. But you can run away from his projectiles and jump over him. If you take him down, he'll drop a blaster rifle that carried me through half the game. Otherwise ranged combat in the early game is a slog with the basic gun.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm 6 hours into it and have probably seen 80% of the map. Supposedly the game is around 8-10 hours if played leisurely. Overall I've enjoyed this and don't regret paying full price. The game is on the easier side of metroidvanias, only moderately challenging during some boss fights. The death penalty of cutting max HP like Dark Souls 2 is apparently a deal-breaker for many on reddit--it's probably the main source of angst and complaint about this game. Using the standard currency dropped by enemies you can repair the HP bar at fast travel points, but by mid-game when you're wanting to rush back to a boss, it means having to farm a bit. On normal, the enemies scale to your level which is indeed dumb and a lazy effort to increase difficulty for trash mobs that are already bullet sponges. Scaling discourages grinding, too, a temptation you'll have once you start finding more modules (equivalent to Hollow Knight charms) and need to level up to equip them. I started another game in explorer mode to see how differently it played. Only changes I noticed are the removal of the death penalty and scaling mechanic. I'd suggest explorer mode for a better experience. HP bloat only serves to aggravate and waste time when you've memorized enemy patterns.

I would naturally recommend other metroidvanias before this one, but we've had some disappointing ones lately such as Moonscars and Salt and Sacrifice. So for the short but sweet quality you get here, it's a 8/10.

+ Atmosphere is excellent between the music, art style, and mood conveyed by the biomes and NPCs you find. An impressive achievement for an indie developer and almost at Hollow Knight quality.
+ Metroid-like combat is pretty good, mixing shooting and melee. You can level up three stats (gunpower, vigor, and resolve) depending on your combat preferences of being tanky or doing ranged damage
+ Interesting gun variety, melee weapon movesets, and secret items to find (one gives you an extra mid-air jump so you can triple jump).
+ Exploration is rewarded and balanced well; the urge to find modules, weapons, and abilities like dash and double jump kept me trudging deeper into the map.
+ Story, writing, and voice-acting is uneven at times but surprisingly above average; I've seen much worse in AAA games.

- Too short for a game that was in development this long.
- Few save and fast travel points. Backtracking is a staple of the genre, but the map didn't have to be this stingy with checkpoints.
- The main objective entails finding ship parts strewn about all corners of the world map. Once you pick up a part, you can't use fast travel points and must backtrack across multiple biomes. Special enemies and obstacles spawn while carrying a ship part. I didn't care for this design decision because it felt like an artificial inflation of the game length: force the player to walk back through all the areas again and fight harder enemies.
- Bosses are unremarkable and none seem very grandiose or memorable.

Tip for anyone wanting an easier experience: at the start of the game, if you take a left instead of a right you can immediately fight some sort of miniboss. When you're learning the controls and how combat works this is a frustrating fight at level 1. He is an absurd bullet sponge. But you can run away from his projectiles and jump over him. If you take him down, he'll drop a blaster rifle that carried me through half the game. Otherwise ranged combat in the early game is a slog with the basic gun.

Did you try HAAK?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lautreamont thanks for the write-up.

Can you recommend other metroidvania games for PC that eschew a child-like or cartoony aesthetic? I think this is a genre that interests me, but the aesthetics of many of the contemporary PC releases is incredibly off putting. Ghost Song caught my attention from the visuals, but the gameplay sounds interesting and I enjoyed Metroid for GB back when people unironically owned them…

Ivan

Arcane
is it gud?
I found it to be adequate. I honestly don't even think about it much. it...occupied some of my time. it was pretty, and I liked the initial difficulty curve. some tough bosses. progression and movement was underwhelming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom