Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Icewind Dale 2 portraits

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm trying to make portraits out of a couple of images i found, but it seems my photoshop skills are full of fail. The sizes i'm using are the following:

210 x 330 for large
42 x 42 for small

I correctly named each file (with L and S at the end respectively), and i'm using the right format (BMP). When i try to select the image, the file shows up, but when i click on it nothing happens. I have the blank empty image with the big interrogative point in it.

Those are the images i'm trying to convert into portraits:

image12.jpg

041_eowyn.jpg

The fuck am i doing wrong?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You could download a user-made set of custom portraits and just copy-pasta in your own images and save them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thanks, that did the trick. Now all i have to do is figure out how to change color mode in Gimp. Bleh.

BTW, does anybody know of any other cool image that can be used as a portrait for those games, while retaining style and form? The second image is actually from Justin Sweet himself, but was never used in the game. He has several more on his site. Searching for Jason Manley hasn't yielded anything. Tried a few portrait sites but most of them are beyond shit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I got some I really enjoy, not as grim as the original one, but do nicelly (the woman I just cut the image to avoid the over the top swords)

tumblr_ly3xro4bm41qd59wbo1_500.jpg
416_stream.jpg
076_large.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, avoiding the "lol fantasy" derpiness is tough.
Especially on such great art stye. IWD pics are fantastic in how simple and "slice of life" they are, yet remaining unique and powerful.

More mediocre artists trying to emulate this would end up creating empty and bland images, and then inevitabily try "spice things up" with aweshum armors, weapons, armies, stances and angles...

tred

Augur
shit, that's some amazing pics
last time I played IWD I remember spending almost a week just searching for portraits to the party.
It would be great if we had a topic just for fantasy art stuff that could be used as portraits and all...they're magic...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Found another decent one. This is actually from Assfaggot Creed but it sort of fits:

ac-templar-knight.jpg

Man is it hard to find anything good in this style. The actual painting technique is relatively common but the derpiness and the pretentiousness of most fantasy art is simply too much.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not sure what the fuck this is but doesn't seem bad, dwarves, or something:

image26.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This thread makes me cry over the fact that fantasy-art in all the P&P-games I like to play has been replaced with FISTS-BIGGER-THAN-HEAD retarded WoW-art-style. Hell, even Pathfinder mostly has retarded child-friendly art.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We are in tune Lyric Suite. :lol:

Yeah. Didn't expect to find so many. I thought most you could find on his site was generic or unrelated art. Not sure if he kept making them after Icewind Dale 2 or if those are rejects. Some of them look perfectly finished.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Vance Kovacs goes for a very similar style. Some images a little more "fantasy", but with a good image crop they would fit well in IWD:

Site doesn't work. Gets stuck when i try to open thumbs. Which game is the guy with the plume from? Saw him somewhere but can't remember. He came up during a Justin Sweet search, so i assume Kovacs is part of the gang.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It seems the feather guy pic is for Magic: The Gathering.....Yeah, apparently Kovacs did some of the IWD art too (and BG III: The Black Hound), and is Justin Sweet BRO.

This thread makes me cry over the fact that fantasy-art in all the P&P-games I like to play has been replaced with FISTS-BIGGER-THAN-HEAD retarded WoW-art-style. Hell, even Pathfinder mostly has retarded child-friendly art.
Yeah, it's really sad...:(

Weird enough, the only place where this kind of art still rules is in Magic cards.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It seems the feather guy pic is for Magic: The Gathering.....Yeah, apparently Kovacs did some of the IWD art too (and BG III: The Black Hound), and is Justin Sweet BRO.

Yeah, it's really sad...:(

Weird enough, the only place where this kind of art still rules is in Magic cards.

True. Innistrad and Dark Ascension has pretty good art for the most part.

In a time where 'gothic' means 'brooding emo' and 'vampire' means 'twillight' Wizards held on to some really nice horror images.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Those are some really nice ones felipepe and Lyric Suite - thanks for posting them!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Every time I see all the fucking awesome BG III artwork I RAGE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom