Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Infra Arcana - An H.P. Lovecraft/Horror based Roguelike

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by non, Aug 6, 2011.

1. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    It's going to take longer than expected. I'm doing a major update of the spell system, and lots of balancing (this should almost be called v20.0 instead of 19.1).

I'm making really good progress though - I think it's gonna be good!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    I'll see if I can do something about that.

^ Top  
  3. Trash Player Learned

Trash Player
    Ascended with Vet. Lv10/10% insane. Went with the nerf-in-progress rock/electric gun build. Found 4 devices but no insight, otherwise quite lucky: +5 Hatchet, 0 armor/meds problem, 3 invis/3 fort, no lantern oil but adequate flares. Craziest find: first descent potion right in front of welcome party on dLv 20.
    Got nyctophobia at 5%, cured around dLv 25. No real dilemma posed with lucky flare finds and ranged focus. Rocks OP as hell with Marksman ranks.

^ Top  
  4. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Yeah marksman (and rocks, haha) is OP as hell in v19.0.

Please hold out for v19.1 :)

^ Top  
  5. Matador Savant

Matador
    I read this on reddit and I thought it was very wrong. What do you think guys? I don't think that because you found a second Cloud minds rod in a lucky run, you should nerf to the ground the item and stealth builds in general. Also you can blow up zombies to get things done. It's not like there are so many tough dudes to alert in first levels.

This it's what I posted:

I disagree. Weakening the monster encounters and lefting a weak character to play is the most unfun thing you can do. This game has great stealth mechanics and it's obviously designed to allow stealth builds (specially after XP kill removal).

Sitting 250 turns to recharge the rod because your character build is useless otherwise is good? Is fine to reverse a well thought adjustment just because you hit the jackpot with an overpowered combination in a random game?

If I find 1000 tommy gun bullets in a game, and I can Rambo the dungeon is OK to ask to nerf the weapon to the ground just because of my good luck?

Zombie packs in first levels are a little annoying, but no so problematic as a stealth build. I'm taking care of that shit now like a man with TNT and bullets, and I have not complaints to be honest.

The real problem is in later levels, because you can get 2 tough straight packed encounters with really nasty dudes, and you can't fight through with the squeezy stealth-melee build or have some maneuverility with only a 250 cooldown charge, it's ridiculous. That's where I really see the need for less cloud minds cooldown or two charges.

Also if you weaken these packs the ranged or tanky builds are a joke to play, so you mess not only with the rogue balance but with the game difficulty as a whole.

^ Top  
  6. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    What do you think about double charges vs shorter duration for Cloud Minds then? 4x cloud minds chain-stabbing does sound a little bit ridiculous to me.

I wish more people had this attitude!

^ Top  
  7. Matador Savant

Matador
    A posibility it occurs to me is give the starting rogue rod 2 charges and the ones you find on the dungeon one charge. Or simply lower the cooldown and give one charge to all rods.

To be honest I can't find a precise number, sure you know better, but for sure 250 turn cooldown is too much deeper in the dungeon with the wicked fuckers you encounter. As I said in early levels you can kill them with explosives- molotovs, and a couple of shots.

Anyway great job, the direction of the game is great and I imagine is very tense and hard to adjust all aspects after a major update like 19.0.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. eXalted Erudite

eXalted
    One charge with lower cooldown seems the best option.

Or a few charges but every use giving insanity? Although, I don't know if this feels right...

^ Top  
  9. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    I think I'll change it to one charge, with 80 turns (40 with Electrically Inclined).

Then you can use it plenty of times, but typically not multiple times per encounter. I don't like the quadruple chain-stabbery cheesiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Trash Player Learned

Trash Player
    I find Cloud Mind way too unreliable against fast mobs: they detect immediately in their own turn.
    My 2 cents for this particular problem:
    1. Limit 1 rod spawn for each type, gamey as hell for sure but it solves that particular aspect
    2. Change Cloud Mind to something else, like Temporal Stasis: enemies take no damage but no actions either for a short number of standard turns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    There is another solution though, I'm quoting myself here:

Cloud Minds could possibly also apply a one turn debuff, which prevents them from detecting you.

Edit: Missed the full quote.

^ Top  
  12. Matador Savant

Matador
    Yes, cloud minds can be somewhat unreliable without "Imperceptible".

^ Top  
  13. Matador Savant

Matador
    non Do you know approximately when the next version is going to release? I want to play, but if the new release is soon I can wait playing another game.

^ Top  
  14. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    I'm gonna release a v19.1-beta.2 tonight or tomorrow. This should be very much playable.

After that I will just do a couple of "nice to have" things like displaying the exact speed % of monsters in their descriptions (Edit: no I won't) before I release the actual v19.1 (probably on sunday/monday).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tomatohead Learned

Tomatohead
    Great to see progress! One of the nice roguelikes out there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    Thanks non Your game is excellent. Enjoying it a lot on Linux.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Matador Savant

Matador
    Let's go!

^ Top  
  19. eXalted Erudite

eXalted
    Alright! Started playing and I think I found a bug?

I drank a Potion of Descend, 2 turns later I descended using stairs and now it seems the portion stopped working because I didn't sink through the ground many turns later.

^ Top  
  20. Trash Player Learned

Trash Player
    That trick, if possible in earlier patches, doesn't work for a while: I tried that in 1.9, same result. Descending stairs removes the Descend effect.

^ Top  
  21. Matador Savant

Matador
    [​IMG]

Got to the boss with a rogue. I actually hit him a lot. But the moment he broke my asbestos suit I was stunlocked to death. The guy is a complete bitch.

I throw smoke, nuked him with dynamite and molotovs, hit him some times with the tommy gun, but it wasn't enough.

Either way I'm very happy with the run. Great fun. A shame I got so close.

Player
    Explored to dungeon level 31
    Was 82% insane
    Killed 163 monsters
    Gained 805 experience points
    Gained a score of 1638
    Phobia of darkness

Traits gained:
    Adept Marksman, Expert Marksman, Dexterous, Stealthy,
    Imperceptible, Mobile, Lithe, Observant, Treasure Hunter,
    Electrically Inclined, Vicious

Unique monsters killed:
    Keziah Mason
    Major Clapham-Lee

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Trash Player Learned

Trash Player
    Impressive. Insanity is a real possibility now. I am not sure if the other classes are up to Rogue's level at this point for reasons we are aware of.
    Better luck next time.
    Edit:
    I just slapped myself on the mouth gleefully: A Lv 9 WarVet was just ascended with 29% insanity!
    Pretty lucky with decent potions/manuscripts/Spirit increases, no med/ammo problem; I picked up like >200 Tommy slugs, ended the run with >100 left over.
    Picked Stealthy first and then spreaded to pick up Marksman and speed. Really cannot go wrong with this.
    Electric gun is pretty lame damage-wise but it is still very good as a CC tool.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    ^ Top  
  23. eXalted Erudite

eXalted
    I am really enjoying this new version!

Are there any improvements on the generator concerning secret/locked rooms and their loot? They really feel like a hand-crafted room with rewards.

Btw sometimes it seems the stairs are spawned too close.

^ Top  
  24. eXalted Erudite

eXalted
    non It seems the potion bug is still there - the one where drinking a Potion of Descent and using the stairs after that removes the effect of the potion.

^ Top  
  25. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    That's not a bug, that's a design choice. I figured the game is pretty short, so going down the stairs then almost immediately skipping the next level is.... too much skipping.

I added a message now though, to make it clearer that this is explicit and not just a bug: "My sinking feeling disappears".

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)