Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Infra Arcana - An H.P. Lovecraft/Horror based Roguelike

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by non, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Musaab Arcane

Musaab
    Anybody playing the latest release? (18.2)

^ Top  
  2. Tito Anic Magister Shitposter

Tito Anic
    Trying it right now. So what are major survivability rules? Game looks unforgivable and RNG dependent. Every time i play i meet 5-6 walking corpses who gang-rape me on LVL1 :argh:

• decline decline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Musaab Arcane

Musaab
    It's extremely hard...yeah

^ Top  
  4. Matador Erudite

Matador
    It's a great game. My best run was floor 14-15. Probably my favourite roguelike along brogue. Very tight design.

It's very punishing, but I love the fact that the starting levels are not filler. You have to earn every bit of progress.

It's the most tactical roguelike I played, you have to think very Carefully your actions almost always.

One advice: identify the potions drinking them ASAP, almost all have positive effects, and the worst ones (poison) are manageable if you are in a safe spot. Drink them near downstairs to optimize shock management or just before level up to get rid of negative effects instantly. Do the same with scrolls.

In this regard the game is not so unforgiving as others that have lots of cursed items.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Fucking Cultist Priests.

If you see one surrounded by other monsters, run and hide. The faggot paralyzed me with a spell and I died from all of them before I had time to act.

And a tip from me that probably everybody knows:

You can kick (w) the zombie corpses so that they don't resurrect.

^ Top  
  6. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Wow, I played about a dozen runs of this a year or two ago and really enjoyed it. Had no idea it was made by a codexer. Is 18.2 the latest version?

^ Top  
  7. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Awesome! Yes, 18.2 is the latest released version (if you don't build the develop version from source).

Currently working on version 19.0, which will probably be out in a month or so. It will be a huge update - here's an ongoing changelog (I add stuff to it continuously):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/develop/res/release_history.txt

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    I really like the direction of the new patch.

• No experience from monsters is a really nice addition. It always seemed to me counter-intuitive and against the game atmosphere to farm monsters for EXP. Especially those tasty oozes
    • Spells for every class will make playing with classes different from occultist a lot more interesting.
    • And concerning the newly added monsters - a question of casual nature - are there spites for them ( for the tiled version)?

^ Top  
  9. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Some of them have new tiles, and some are reusing old tiles with different colors.

^ Top  
  10. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    That looks pretty delicious. Looks like it will be more allowing of stealth (or at least avoidance), then? And the move to fewer but more challenging enemies seems to be a great and thematic change as well.

^ Top  
  11. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Yeah it should definitely be more stealth focused - the general idea is that combat is now more dangerous, more resource draining, less rewarding, but easier to avoid.

In the previous versions you were pretty much constantly harassed, while in the next version encounters should be more significant.

However, some people pointed out that a melee play style had now become impossible. So I've been trying to balance it precisely so that direct combat is very risky for most characters, but a viable strategy if you focus your character on it. Some changes I've done to support this is that the War Vet also starts with the "Healer" trait (reduces cost of combat) , and that "Tough" and "Rugged" also gives armor bonus.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    ^ Top  
  12. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Could someone explain what Radiant and Lucky do?

^ Top  
  13. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    In next version, there will be in-game descriptions for all such properties (on the [@] character screen, and when viewing monster descriptions)

Radiant emits light around you - it's just like having the Electric Lantern activated.

By "Lucky" you probably mean "Blessed". It has a lot of little effects. The most immediately tangible is that you get a small bonus to all skills (like hit chances, stealth, searching) - but there's also a bunch of checks throughout the code where you get a little better result if you're Blessed. For example disarming traps is more likely, and potions inside chests won't break when you kick the chest. The "Cursed" property is of course the opposite of all this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    I thought that it is something like that. Thank you for confirming it.

Will there be changes to the flares? I hardly find any role for them.

^ Top  
  15. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Something for the new version:

Shouldn't Molds be resistant to fear? I just terrified one via manuscript.

^ Top  
  16. Matador Erudite

Matador
    Wow, reading the changelog and it's amazing, the game is going to be even more interesting than before. Can't wait to play it!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    They're pretty good for dealing with light sensitive shadow-type monsters, just toss a flare in the room and wait around the corner a bit.

Shooting them at monsters with the flare gun is somewhat powerful (it sets them on fire).

Also, in the next version standing in lit cells lowers your shock. So they could be used for example to make it to the stairs before insanity happens.

Yeah that sounds reasonable. I'll give them fear resistance.

^ Top  
  18. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    v19 is out now!

Download here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads

Changelog:

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Fuckin great!

^ Top  
  20. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Any chance you'll make version for 32-bit OS?

^ Top  
  21. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Second run of this new version. Descended to the first dungeon level, opened a door, saw Major Clapham Lee inside. Alright, guess I'm not going there. Close the door and take a few steps back and what do I see? A fucking mindeater.

Great changes by the way, but not sure if the above was a bug or some sort of randomized "fuck you" event, haha. Certainly made for a good story and genuinely scary experience?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Tito Anic Magister Shitposter

Tito Anic
    Underrail?

A bunch (5-7) of wolfs meet me everytime near starting area, better not fight them - just sneak past them

Win x64 only? I play it on winXP x32 - no problems:smug:

^ Top  
  23. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Huh... I'm really confused now. I tried running it myself on 32bit Windows XP, and it did not start.

I'm currently setting up stuff to build a 32bit version. If I can play that build on both the 32bit Windows XP machine, and my 64bit Windows 7 machine, then I'll probably replace the uploaded release with this 32bit version instead.

Edit: Are you running SP3? The machine I tested it on was running SP2, which is probably deprecated as hell.

Edit: I think that what I labeled as a "64bit" release is actually entirely a 32bit release. If this is the case I just need to rename it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    ^ Top  
  24. Tito Anic Magister Shitposter

Tito Anic
    Strange... it works fine for me.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  25. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    Aha, yep "SP3". That explains it.

I'm gonna test it with 32bit SP3 Windows XP as well. If that works, then I will just re-label the release as x86 / 32bit (which it really is).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.