Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Jack Houston and the Necronauts

kaizoku

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts

https://www.warbirdgames.com/jackhouston/

OfQyu.jpg

Yeah, you read it first from DU in the news section, but this one still deserves an official thread IMO.

I'm kinda hyped on this one. The concept is great, but I'm fearful that their animation idea leads the project into disaster as I'm assuming it's a very expensive process.

Anyway, without further ado...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts

And some higher res art that I found at their site: http://www.warbirdgames.com/jack_houston_conceptart.html

fake edit: also found a link to his hand solo han solo adventure game http://www.hansoloadventures.com/hsademo.zip
I haven't tried it yet.

real edit: I sent him some questions yesterday. Will post the answers when/if I receive them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Already posted as a news and added in the Kickstarter projects few days ago. What's the point of this?

kaizoku

Arcane
not everyone checks the kickstarter thread (I very rarely do so)
it's important to separate the wheat from the chaff, and this is the adventure subforum
in a week from now that news entry will be buried and most people will skip it (this may sound weird but not everyone checks the codex everyday)

u mad? or just shitposting around?
being this your third post in this subforum, well... I think we know the answer to that
go back to GD and leave this sacred area alone!

*sigh* wasting my time with trolls

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Looks good. And thanks for the heads-up, haven't checked the kickstarter thread in a while.

They are asking for very little, that is the only concern I have. Their pitch is good and they will probably get a lot more than 56k, but I wonder... like you said, stop-motion capture is probably a lot more work and cost than regular 2d or 3d. Doug Tennapel is on the record as saying that his "Neverhood" games had a high cost and that it contributed to their commercial failure.

kaizoku

Arcane
lengthy Q&A http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts/posts/259272

I got a bit disappointed with the answer to the first question.
I do like it when "writers" use a not so obvious parallel (eg: through an alien world) to portrait real issues in our contemporaneous society.
But his approach, doesn't necessarily strip that all together. It's just that it isn't something he had in mind and instead prefers to let things flow naturally.
But overall p.c. IMO.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
I followed this kickstarter. The game really looks great. I love the pulp scifi art design, and the stop motion aspects of the game :) I am really looking forward to this one.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There were topics about this. Backed the KS. Guys seem very busy making the game.

ironyuri

According to their paypal site, a 10,000$ USD donation pledge was revoked after kickstarter ended, so while they ended at 64k/56k, they only got 54k from the kickstarter, and then 3k from paypal which put them above the line in the end.

Their lack of stretch goals was of concern too. Can they actually make a stop motion adventure game for 57k? Stop motion requires a huge amount of time and effort, sometimes years, and that's just for short stop-motion films (Harvey Krumpet, the Australian short that won an Oscar a few years ago took years to make).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah these incredible updates are great.

I wonder if we got had and it's all been blown on hookers and booze?

kaizoku

Arcane
I'm starting to wonder if he got into more than he can chew.
And the game will end in a big clusterfuck.

Angthoron

Arcane
According to their paypal site, a 10,000$ USD donation pledge was revoked after kickstarter ended, so while they ended at 64k/56k, they only got 54k from the kickstarter, and then 3k from paypal which put them above the line in the end.
I didn't know pledges can get revoked post-funding, although I suppose if the account had less than 10K on it that could be the case?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't know pledges can get revoked post-funding, although I suppose if the account had less than 10K on it that could be the case?
Yeah that's what happened, the 10k pledger didn't have the money.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Probably failed payment on debit card or someone's Visa had lower limit than 10k.

Angthoron

Arcane
That sucks. I hope they get the game made anyway, and yeah, I did participate in the kickstarter for it too.

almondblight

Arcane
The hell? Something doesn't add up. According to their Kickstarter site (showing a total of 64k) and Kicktraq, there was never a 10k pledge, just two 6k pledges. Maybe the developers made the two 6k pledges themselves (the game wouldn't have been funded other wise), and then used it as an opportunity to raise more money after? Well, they're lying about something at least. Good thing prestigious gaming journalists actually look into things instead of just repeating what developers say...

almondblight

Arcane
Good point, the big donation on the second day is probably the 10k one, with a 6k one three days later. Still, seems a little suspicious that 1/4 of all their funding came from two pledges, both from the opening days of the Kickstarter, and one of them later falling through and with the developers asking pledgers for more money to make up for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes it is suspicious. Which is a shame because it seems like he has a lot of cool ideas.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
He seems like a nice guy, and I believe he gave a gratuitous nice tweet* about Primordia, but man . . . that post was really ill-advised. I think it's pretty unlikely that he spent any significant amount of the KS money on the garage. Or so I choose to believe!

(* I hate myself for using that word. Until Primordia was released, I managed to to avoid Twitter altogether -- except when someone wrote something embarrassing that got news coverage. But now I feel compelled to monitor what people are saying. I'm like an addict!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom