Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play the Scroll of Taiwu

benzine

Novice
SO after the disaster of posting about such incline, I've decided to post a Let's Play instead and let my fellow trolls judge this game by its true color.
HEGNw41.png

The Story of The Scroll of Taiwu appears to be one of SM rivalry, between a being capable of retaining powers through reincarnation or possession and another being of greater-but-darker-power who tries to convert/subvert/dominate the other being, and in the process destroy the world by converting everyone to demons. The purpose of the game is to defeat the final boss and save the world, problem is, it's currently too hardcore to get to that stage. You'll see what I mean as we continue the game.

HEGOZij.png

The first option in the Early Access game is the tutorial, which blends the backstory with guide on how to play the game, because it's quite a mash of genres that you'll see when we actually starts playing.

So after saying tutorials are for pus, I mean tran, ... the weak, we start off creating our first character.
HEGXd9n.png

This game gives you three slots for character, and it saves in iron man ONLY.

Here's the character creation screen:
HEGXS9o0.png

SO currently my name is Dam and my Surname is Hot, by English tradition I'm Dam Hot, by Chinese tradition I'm Hot Dam.

The part below defines what kind of person you are. It ranges from Paladin, Goody-good, Neutral, Chaotic Evil, and Selfish Bastard.
Basically you can pick one or pick in between, but the current implementation doesn't let you pick non-immediate stands.
FOR Example, I'm currently between Neutral and Goody-good, so I can pick options from these two stands, and it will shift the slider.

This DOES have an impact on game play, ranging from different bonuses (due to the actions limited by your stand) to different way of interacting with people. Since the final boss is hot after you, when your MOOD decrease to an alarming point it will start the conversion. And once the character gets converted you have to pick your successor/next body to possess or it will be a RNG toss.

HEH2zAr.png

Here's the paper doll screen.
Yes the art style is not top notch, but it's good for now and the asset is mod-able.
Also, as a part of incline how your paper doll look does impact your APPearance, and how others act toward you.
You can also play as a feminine man (per the image) or a manly woman, and it will also impact your APP.

Below the gender on the lower left is your AGE, you can pick from 16 through 30.

Age is important because every char in the world has a set number of years they can live, it depends on RNG and character stat and internal voodoo, and it's important because it determines how many action points you get to spend per month (we'll get to it when we actually starts playing).

Further below you get to pick which of the twelve time period you were born, and it gives you natural bonuses and weaknesses.

HEH5k84.png

This here is where you pick your SPECIAL characteristics.
Most of them are NOT traits, but instead a buff on various different stat, grants bonus materials/items/tools/books and what not.
Of special note is one that will set your influence to a certain level independent of your APP, I mean Chrisma, a must pick if you look like a deep dweller.
Also I hacked the shit so I can pick any of them I want, 10 being the limit. The default is some has certain requirements, point you have to spend before you can unlock the characteristic.

HEH7yum.png

Then we come to pick where we are born, and surrounding environments.
It's kind of important, because you are also picking the closest clan that you'll go study, and surrounding maps/clans that you can access sooner.
Surrounding environments also determine to an extent what kind of resources are of abundance near your base, and what kind of sub-maps are primarily generated in you base map.

Clans are important because they are your primary way of learning Kungfu, or power. They are also your primary source of teammates etc.

HEHackH.png

For example, the current starting clan is a clan primarily of Female Chi practitioners. And their Chi-power focuses on getting themselves prettier.
They also happens to be good at moving fast and using their musical instruments to kill. Their finger method is not bad either.

Since I know most of you don't speak Chinese, I'll explain:
Top left is the map look of this clan, the top right is a description, and below is your support rating in this clan.
What level of power you can learn at this clan depends on how many of its disciples/masters support you, and from left to right there are 9 distinct classes.
Pay attention to the color cause it's a sure sign of the class of items you will receive/craft/buy etc., beige being class 9 and lowest level, red being class 1 and highest level.
The six lines are from top to bottom: Chi-style, Movement-style, Specialty, Fist and Palm method, Finger method, and Music instrument.
The amount of shits you'll learn in this game.

HEHdUA3.png

And finally before world gen and character generation, we get to pick the settings/difficulty of the world.

1st line is for character's life duration. Having good and bad sides it doesn't affect the difficulty.
2nd line is for difficulty of battle. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE picking DIFFICULT (2nd option) WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE.
The 3rd and 4th choice are locked because you can be certain that unless you've completed a round of the game you are doomed from the start (unless you hack).
3rd line is for the number of enemies the world will generate.
4th line is for the rate of conversion the final boss have on this world and on you.
5th line is for the abundance of resources the world generates.
And last but not least, the option to toggle picking successor and randomly possessing people.

HEHfW62.png

Now my fellow Codexian, I'm open to suggestions, bring it ON~
Oh, you can also pick a troll, maybe I'll mod it in and use it instead as the avatar.
-------------------------
Spell checked now, b*****s

Last edited:

kirin

Learned
This DOES have an impact on gameplay, ranging from different bonuses (due to the actions limited by your stand) to different way of interacting with people. Since the final boss is hot after you, when your MOOD decrease to an alarming point it will start the conversion. And once the character gets converted you have to pick your successor/next body to possess or it will be a RNG toss.

4th line is for the rate of conversion the final boss have on this world and on you.

How does the time limit work? Does it start when you reach a certain age? How does the conversion work?

When you choose a successor, is it like a new game plus? What do you keep?

For example, the current starting clan is a clan primarily of Female Chi practitioners. And their Chi-power focuses on getting themselves prettier.

but... you're a dude. are you gonna dongfangbubai yourself?

benzine

Novice
Shit, a reply :yeah:

How does the time limit work? Does it start when you reach a certain age? How does the conversion work?
There's a table that specify the time limit, IE the Action Points per Month, of a certain age.
Currently you get 10 AP per month if you are very young or very old, then 20, then 30 at your prime.

Yes, it's like a new game plus, but the world stays consistent so it's not like you just restart the game.
The successor keep all the things that you can build up, so items/kongfu progress/arts progress/building progress/money.
What you have equipped on you when you die may not get inherited, there's currently problems with dead person's equipped item so best remove them.

but... you're a dude. are you gonna dongfangbubai yourself?
:hmmm:
NO.
It's more like Maria Holic and similar shit where a cross-dressing boy enrolls in an all-girl environment.
Problem is the current art asset is between 2 groups, male and female.
A man who look like a woman will get boobs, because the female art asset has them and the current code or asset don't have a flat-chested feminine-face set. Vice versa for the woman looking like man, they get no boobs...

Last edited:

benzine

Novice
As for updating this Let's Play.

Likely not much is going to be done this weekend, because of real life job, shit packs up this week and next but next weekend I'm free to update, so you'll have to wait.

Currently I'm English modding the game but there's quite a bit of limitation due to the difference of character count: a Chinese word of 4 characters -> English words of 12 characters. You get the idea. So I need to abbreviate, and another problem comes up, in some cases the abbreviation is used in the description popup instead of having the actual proper shit. So I'm petitioning the author right now but it'll have to wait until he finishes his bug-a-thon spree.

kirin

Learned
There's a table that specify the time limit, IE the Action Points per Month, of a certain age.
Currently you get 10 AP per month if you are very young or very old, then 20, then 30 at your prime.
So if I've understood correctly, there is a limited number of actions in a character's lifespan. Assuming you don't die young, why wouldn't everyone start at the minimum age to maximize the total actions? Is there some benefit to starting an older character?

Yes, it's like a new game plus, but the world stays consistent so it's not like you just restart the game.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean that the consequences of the choices that character A made, also affect character B? Or just that the procedurally generated map is the same?

Surely there must be some logical limit to this otherwise the nth character will be in a world thousands of years later. I know wuxia is mostly anachronistic but that's kinda nuts.

It's more like Maria Holic and similar shit where a cross-dressing boy enrolls in an all-girl environment.

is this that kind of game

benzine

Novice
So if I've understood correctly, there is a limited number of actions in a character's lifespan. Assuming you don't die young, why wouldn't everyone start at the minimum age to maximize the total actions? Is there some benefit to starting an older character?

:thumbsup:Yes, your stats have different effective rate at different age and increase or decrease depending on your age, you also get different AP pools at different age, and some of your stat (Charisma currently) doesn't apply at all until you mature into adulthood at age 16 (which is the minimum at char creation).

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean that the consequences of the choices that character A made, also affect character B? Or just that the procedurally generated map is the same?

Surely there must be some logical limit to this otherwise the nth character will be in a world thousands of years later. I know wuxia is mostly anachronistic but that's kinda nuts.

No, what I mean is you are playing in a continuous world, and as long as you meet the requirement (such as having picked a successor, either your kid or adopted kid, or you choose to enable random successor at the last screen in char creation), you play a different "avatar" while inheriting whatever your previous "avatar" left and whatever bonuses you choose to apply. Other NPCs, etc. still stays the same.
Your enemies though get stronger as you reincarnate.

As for logical limit, that's why there's a setting of the amount of evil doers and how fast the final boss gets to convert people, and also if your base village gets destroyed the final boss will be unchained and it's game over. Otherwise, you can expect a few hundred years depending on play-style. :yeah:

is this that kind of game

No, but you can play like it's that kind of game, meaning getting an entire clan of woman pregnant (Age restricted, and marriage is one-on-one though).
:whatho:

kirin

Learned
As for logical limit, that's why there's a setting of the amount of evil doers and how fast the final boss gets to convert people, and also if your base village gets destroyed the final boss will be unchained and it's game over.

Does that mean that even if your character dies due to bad luck, you can still make a comeback? What other fail states are there?

kirin

Learned
:necro:
pls come back

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom