Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making new spells for ToEE - Discussion

Etharil

Novice
Discussion split from the main Making new spells for ToEE thread. I'm using the other one to concentrate todo's so they don't get lost in the discussion :) -SA

-------------------
I know this isn't exactly within ToEE+'s intent, but could druids PLEASE get some of their druidic spells - level 5 and higher in particular? Their selection of spells becomes so poor later on I'm surprised nobody's ever done anything to make them look less like a bastard child of a cleric and a wizard.
Suggested spells: Fire Snake (lvl 5), Hungry Earth (lvl 5), Quell Energy (lvl 3), Sirocco (lvl 6), Wall spells from level 5 and 6, Scouring Winds (lvl 7), Umbral Strike (lvl 7), Blood Mist (lvl 8), Frightftul Aspect (lvl 8), Sunburst (lvl 8), Vinetrap (lvl 8), Wall of Lava (lvl 8), Clashing Rocks (lvl 9), Polar Midnight (lvl 9), Regenerate (lvl 9), Tsunami (lvl 9), Shambler (lvl 9).

I omitted some of them, because Druids usually always have the utility spells. I don't recall having any of the ones I mentioned. If you don't have time for them, just tell me if they can be somehow created on my own and then sent to you in order to be added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I know this isn't exactly within ToEE+'s intent, but could druids PLEASE get some of their druidic spells - level 5 and higher in particular? Their selection of spells becomes so poor later on I'm surprised nobody's ever done anything to make them look less like a bastard child of a cleric and a wizard.
Suggested spells: Fire Snake (lvl 5), Hungry Earth (lvl 5), Quell Energy (lvl 3), Sirocco (lvl 6), Wall spells from level 5 and 6, Scouring Winds (lvl 7), Umbral Strike (lvl 7), Blood Mist (lvl 8), Frightftul Aspect (lvl 8), Sunburst (lvl 8), Vinetrap (lvl 8), Wall of Lava (lvl 8), Clashing Rocks (lvl 9), Polar Midnight (lvl 9), Regenerate (lvl 9), Tsunami (lvl 9), Shambler (lvl 9).

I omitted some of them, because Druids usually always have the utility spells. I don't recall having any of the ones I mentioned. If you don't have time for them, just tell me if they can be somehow created on my own and then sent to you in order to be added.
As you can see there's no shortage of work so any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Creating new spells is relatively straightforward, at least for the simple effects that don't have persistent effects or require state tracking, and you can use similar spells as reference.
Walls spells in particular will need new targeting infrastructure - it's on the list but it may take a while.

Etharil

Novice
Sitra Achara What do I need to get started with making these spells? I have a little bit of free time available to me so if you could guide me in a direction I need to go for, I can create them and then you could add them as a house rule I suppose?

Etharil

Novice
Thanks. From what I can see all the spells I listed could be done using the existing ones apart from Walls. Would need new visuals for some of them but other than that I might manage it. I think there's still a post of mine with a sunburst spell on Co8. (nicknamed Krotos there)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Alright. Feel free to ask questions. For some of the effects you'll probably have to dive into Python Modifiers. If this takes off we'll make a nice tutorial out of it.

Etharil

Novice
While delving into this, I assume there's no way to grant domain spells of level 7 and higher? Or are some domains simply missing them? Using a Cleric of Pelor with Healing and Sun domains and it seems that she only has heal at level 6 and then nothing later on.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
While delving into this, I assume there's no way to grant domain spells of level 7 and higher? Or are some domains simply missing them? Using a Cleric of Pelor with Healing and Sun domains and it seems that she only has heal at level 6 and then nothing later on.

To add a spell to a domain list, you need to add a line to the Spell Entry.
Example - take a look at Cure Critical Wounds. It has the specification for Healing Domain level 4 via the line:
Code:
Level: Healing 4

BTW Co8 released a Domain Spells addon a few months ago. They didn't bother publishing it anywhere though, which is a shame.

Etharil

Novice
So I worked a bit during the weekend. Once a new build is out, I should be able to do the Fire Snake spell. I managed to do Sunburst, Regenerate, Sirocco and Scouring Winds.

Etharil

Novice
Small update: I checked the spell rules of ToEE and found out that Co8 added my first version of Sunburst there, which was a 1 to 1 copy of the Sunburst spell from Pathfinder's description, INCLUDING the area of EIGHTY (80) feet! I reduced the effect to 30 feet as a radius of 80 feet was just insane and extremely unwieldy.
I'll work on Sunbeam as a level 7 spell that'll act like Call Lightning instead. Will most likely just grab CL's code for that and see where I can go from there.

Etharil

Novice
Some screenshots of Sunburst in action:
b9ac9af6905a40bfbb4e37688f1b6aba.png

6e63edd687694f3c8183f831aacb68fb.png

That's the very same sunburst I made while still on Co8 boards. The area has been reduced to 30 feet which is still big I believe.

Currently trying to combine Call Lightning and Lightning Bolt effects together so that I can have proper sunbeams as per Pathfinder's description. (beam of light like a lightning bolt rather than a beam from the sky)

Sitra Achara I can't find any .txt file regarding Lightning Bolt in the game's rules folder - any direction you can point me towards?

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Some screenshots of Sunburst in action:
b9ac9af6905a40bfbb4e37688f1b6aba.png

6e63edd687694f3c8183f831aacb68fb.png

That's the very same sunburst I made while still on Co8 boards. The area has been reduced to 30 feet which is still big I believe.

Currently trying to combine Call Lightning and Lightning Bolt effects together so that I can have proper sunbeams as per Pathfinder's description. (beam of light like a lightning bolt rather than a beam from the sky)

Call Lightning and Lightning Bolt both use specialized hardcoded renderers for the particle effects, you may have to create a new particle effect the usual way.

Knightly

Literate
I am least techy guy around probably but Dungeons and Dragons Online uses recolored lightning bolt or something very similar. Lightning Bolt has blue while Sun Bolt has yellowish hue.

Maybe that will help?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
upload_2016-11-2_7-36-0.png

I've updated the particle editor so that it lists all fields when parsing the original files, and also the New Emitter button now actually works :) (it's more like a duplicate emitter button, and then click Rename to rename the new entry).

Also as of next version it will read and parse any *.tab file found inside rules\partsys\ (e.g. data\rules\partsys or overrides\rules\partsys\) so you can add your own particle systems without having to change the original or Co8 files. Temple+ uses tppartsys.tab, feel free to create your own e.g. partsys_etharil.tab

Kosiciel

Novice
Small update on Greater Shout:
cg0D5cf.png

Now I need to thinker with stun and it should be ready :)

Kosiciel

Novice
Looks like additional damage on Shout spell to crystalline creatures isn't implemented:
dFB6hUV.png

while in-game description says:
P2VTZBO.png

Greater Shout, being based on this (edited .py and .txt), doesn't do additional damage either. I've created data\scr\Spell580 - Greater Shout.py, data\rules\spells\580 - Greater Shout.txt, and entries in data\mes\help.tab, data\mes\spell.mes, data\rules\spell_enum.mes and data\rules\SpellList.mes. I am not sure how to add 1 round stun. And biggest problem - there is no sound! Help, please :)

Spell580 - Greater Shout.py
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/KqDey21p/file.html

580 - Greater Shout.txt
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/czfk2NPw/file.html

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Looks like additional damage on Shout spell to crystalline creatures isn't implemented:
dFB6hUV.png

while in-game description says:
P2VTZBO.png

Greater Shout, being based on this (edited .py and .txt), doesn't do additional damage either. I've created data\scr\Spell580 - Greater Shout.py, data\rules\spells\580 - Greater Shout.txt, and entries in data\mes\help.tab, data\mes\spell.mes, data\rules\spell_enum.mes and data\rules\SpellList.mes. I am not sure how to add 1 round stun. And biggest problem - there is no sound! Help, please :)

Spell580 - Greater Shout.py
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/KqDey21p/file.html

580 - Greater Shout.txt
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/czfk2NPw/file.html

Hey, Greater Shout was already added by Co8 in a tragically obscure addon for 8.1.0:
http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/im-participating.11736/page-6#post-140577

That said there was some visual deficiency in the Stun effect when applied to party members (see here), so you if you have the patience to learn something new, you can create a new Stun Effect using Python Modifiers.

I'll have to get back to you on sound.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Gah, I can't get the particle editor's preview to work. Guess I'll have to check the visuals in game.
What aspect of it didn't work?
Making cool looking spell effects is huge pain in the ass if you have to restart the game / viewer every time.

Etharil

Novice
Can anyone do me a favour and list all the domains ToEE has for clerics so that I have an easier time with a few spells?

EDIT: NVM Found the respective link in ToEE's gamepedia.

Etharil

Novice
Gah, I can't get the particle editor's preview to work. Guess I'll have to check the visuals in game.
Making cool looking spell effects is huge pain in the ass if you have to restart the game / viewer every time.
I'm unable to see the doll and the particles that I'd like to take a look at. Used a Co8-less ToEE install to check it.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I'm unable to see the doll and the particles that I'd like to take a look at. Used a Co8-less ToEE install to check it.
Have you set the data path to the non-Co8 installation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom