Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

jancobblepot

Educated
Exactly! We don't need choices in RPGs.

Exmit

Scholar
Interactivity = choices

Where do they breed ?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
jancobblepot said:
"Should I climb the city walls or kill that guard?"
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Darklands is even closer to a PnP RPG than Fallout and Wasteland.

curry

Arcane
I just don't get him. He appreciates classics and knows a lot about the old industry, but, on the other hand, he appreciates turd like Witcher. What the fuck, Matt.

Exmit

Scholar
1eyedking said:
J_C said:
Good old Matt talks about The Witcher in his latest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-bfrXB ... ture=feedu
I fucking hate Matt 'AWESOME OLD SCHOOL BEFORE TIMES NEVER TO BE MADE AGAIN BEST OF TIMES OLD IS GOLD' Chat.

And I fucking hate this place for liking such a base appeal.

Matt is the creme de la creme of chats for any old schooler true rpg player.

You don't like Matt - you are a newfag console popamoler, simple as that.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
curry said:
I just don't get him. He appreciates classics and knows a lot about the old industry, but, on the other hand, he appreciates turd like Witcher. What the fuck, Matt.

I know. How can someone be so educated and yet have slightly different opinions to you? It just doesn't make sense.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Admiral jimbob said:
curry said:

I know. How can someone be so educated and yet have slightly different opinions to you? It just doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that that fact invalidates like everything he ever said or will say :M

jancobblepot

Educated
Exmit said:
1eyedking said:
J_C said:
Good old Matt talks about The Witcher in his latest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-bfrXB ... ture=feedu
I fucking hate Matt 'AWESOME OLD SCHOOL BEFORE TIMES NEVER TO BE MADE AGAIN BEST OF TIMES OLD IS GOLD' Chat.

And I fucking hate this place for liking such a base appeal.

Matt is the creme de la creme of chats for any old schooler true rpg player.

You don't like Matt - you are a newfag console popamoler, simple as that.

lol, Matt is fake, but at least he's teaching about good old games to consoletards.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
curry said:
He didn't seem to be orgasmic over it, though. He complained about various stuff in the Witcher.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
curry said:
It is called intelligence. When you can appriciate both the old and the new games, and not being a fanboy of the 1980s. :smug:

Exmit

Scholar
J_C said:
and not being a fanboy of the 1980s. :smug:

How possibly you CANNOT be a fanboy ?

Lord%20British%20Fire.jpg

(also, Lord British is making a new game)

Arlborn

Novice
The Witcher and Baldur's Gate are very different games, I appreciate both for what they are. I won't hold a game to a standard that has nothing to do with how it was made, that is just moronic.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It hurts me that Matt's videos only get a few thousand views, so I will start to link them on the prestigious Codex. Maybe he will get a few hits from here.

Jon Hare is the founder of Sensible Software and one of the most creative designers in the history of the industry. With titles as diverse as Sensible Soccer, Wizball, and Cannon Fodder under his belt, Hare has proven himself a versatile designer. In the first part, Jon and I discuss his background and his thoughts on what's wrong with the modern industry. Warning: Not suitable for console gamers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroid

Arcane
I found this interview pretty interesting, will definitely be watching the subsequent ones. It's certainly refreshing to hear a designer come out and say what went wrong with the industry and not bow down to the popamole as all the others do (even codexian heroes such as Cain, Avellone etc).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fascinating interview. It's interesting to hear that even people who were making casual games got hit by the :decline: .

Anyway, I have an impression that he put a lot of points into Charisma.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Excellent interview with a very intelligent guy. I think this guy is right on the nose, but more importantly, I think what's most important about this is that he provides the historical context for the shift in the industry. I would probably mark the turning point as being closer to the PlayStation era, but the 16-bit era is definitely when the shift towards mascots, brands etc. started to come out and likely when the business side of the industry began to change, even if there were still plenty of interesting games coming out.

While I'm not 100% certain about his assessment that "games used to be for smart people", as there are plenty of people out there who are extremely intelligent yet not into computers etc., I also think it's a fair point that designing for a mass market always means designing for lowest common denominators - the kind of person who needs that "press C to crouch" button every time they come across an air vent to avoid the "but what do I do?" moment.

It's worth pointing out, of course, that the "Call of Duty guys", whichever revolving door developer is making it on a given year, aren't less intelligent designers, or less talented, or unable to understand complex games. Designing any game, even a relatively simple one like Call of Duty, is extremely challenging, and they produce tremendously good results - within the framework that they're given. It's popular to simply bash games, to say "the people making them must be stupid", but we all really know that's not true - sure, there are occasional instances of talent-lacking people working in positions of power, but this isn't the norm. I'm sure the Treyarch, Infinity Ward, DICE, IO, Irrational, etc. devs out there are more than capable of making some amazing stuff, but business demands that they continue churning out the Kane & Lynches, Battlefields, etc., which aren't bad games by execution or even bad games by design, but bad games because they've been pigeonholed into very specific sets of ideas by people who, by and large, have 95% of the control in the industry and about 5% understanding of the creative process, of the capacity of the medium, and why games sell.

Really enjoyed it, I need to watch Matt Chat more often.

zeitgeist

Magister
Nice to see someone (mostly) telling it like it is, especially regarding game developers being able to simply ignore the entire history of the gaming industry when they decide it's time to gain new audience (and of course doing it whenever possible).

Luzur

Good Sir
Movies, music, art, everything else is being dumbed down to appease the masses. I think the problem is cultural and political, rather than specific to gaming. Where does the idea of constantly finding the lowest common denominator stem from? Liberalism and egalitarianism, I'm afraid.

You can't tailor everything to the majority, because the majority will ever only be average at everything.

I KNEW IT!

DAMN LIBERALS

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Implying he has good intentions. Todd Howard recently said few bad things about Oblivion too. For the sake of Skyrim.

It might be a syndrome: "NOW it will be better! Forget the past!" And nothing happens - same shit.

OK, maybe he is sincere but what he alone can do against army of retarded people?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom