Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated industry legend?

Most undeserving of reputation?

• Mikami (Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, God Hand, Vanquish, The Evil Within)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Itsuno (Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Devil May Cry, Dragons Dogma, ect.)

• Kitase (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger)

• Total voters

Taurist

Scholar
All of Nomura's games are at least pretty good. Compared with the dreck that is the rest of modern Square's output I'd say he's earned a bit of reputation. I've not been a big fan of Kamiya's games to be honest. They are mostly pretty good, but the man has an obsession with shit QTEs.

As for Ken Levine, I'll withold judgement until his next game comes out. Infinite was a big piece of shit, but its also clear it wasnt the kind of game that he meant it to be. It was slapped together from a bunch of assets just to get something out the door. Every other game he's done to is great!

Honestly I think its got to be Iga. His entire career is just mediocre clones of SotN (a game which he worked on, but did not direct). He's made like 12 of them and only one or two of them are worth playing. However Bloodstained wasn't a scam so he gets some points there.

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
Ken Levine, Josh Sawyer, Warren Spector, Hideo Kojima, Hideki Kamiya and Goichi Suda.

I don't think many people outside the Codex know who Sawyer even is tbh
I’m friends with some people in a large dev studio who like Icewind Dale and New Vegas and they don’t know who he is. They don’t know who Avellone is either (but none of them are writers).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Kamiya for sure. The best Platinum games are the ones he didn't work on, or had limited involvement with.

Falksi

Arcane
Kojima 100%. PS1 MGS was a brilliant game, but pretty much everything else he's been involved with, the MGS sequels especially, have been total wank.

He's a one hit wonder still churning out album after album of dross.

Ereshkigal

Educated
I'd have said Kojima a couple of years ago but from what I gather in online communities, most people have wised up to his tricks. The answer also depends on where you ask, because Todd Howard still has a good reputation in most sites.

I'd say Igarashi, he's a one trick pony and still hasn't topped SOTN.

Üstad

Arcane
Kojima for sure. Metal Gear games suck hard, never understood the appeal.
It can be enjoyable but the cringe moments in the game just ruin the appeal for me. I still enjoyed MGS3 when I was a kiddie.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
David Cage. Kojima is at least fun in his weird, space-outed way. David Cage just wants to be an artist and fails. Not even in a fun way, like the Two Worlds - people.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
No one except Snoytards starved for another cinematic experience likes David Cage games though.

Duraframe300

Arcane
David Cage. Kojima is at least fun in his weird, space-outed way. David Cage just wants to be an artist and fails. Not even in a fun way, like the Two Worlds - people.

I still maintain that David Cage is an edgy teen on the inside writing fanfics.

Which is a shame, because as far as C&C goes and some general ideas.... his games are not that bad. At least compared to shit like Telltales catalouge.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I still maintain that David Cage is an edgy teen on the inside writing fanfics.

Which is a shame, because as far as C&C goes and some general ideas.... his games are not that bad. At least compared to shit like Telltales catalouge.

Hmm, true. If he would keep the stories simple and consistent, he could create something good. Which is funny, because the best story that David Cage told was the weird Nomad Soul. But this one had a real structure, so the weird mix between Sci-Fi and Demons from hell worked.

Last edited:

Cat Dude

Savant
Nomura. I don't find his game designs appealing to those outside weaboo communities.

Ereshkigal

Educated
Another forgotten name: Brian Fargo. I know this place knows he's a fraud already, but the fact that he still has a reputation in the industry after decades of lying through his teeth says something

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Another forgotten name: Brian Fargo. I know this place knows he's a fraud already, but the fact that he still has a reputation in the industry after decades of lying through his teeth says something

What did he do, besides the Kickstarterthing and the Codex hating him?

Cat Dude

Savant

What did he do, besides the Kickstarterthing and the Codex hating him?

I think some codexers here already backed his kickstarter campaigns with a lot of money and eventually got hugely upset for such piss poor products in return.

Cat Dude

Savant
Kojima 100%. PS1 MGS was a brilliant game, but pretty much everything else he's been involved with, the MGS sequels especially, have been total wank.

He's a one hit wonder still churning out album after album of dross.

Kojima is obviously a has been. Not many actually got hyped by his riddles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom