Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Mount & Blade: Warband Open Beta

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Jason, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

Next-gen wedding simulator <b><a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/mount-blade-warband" target="blank">Mount & Blade: Warband</a></b> has hit open beta. Anyone with a valid serial number from the first game can <a href="http://beta.taleworlds.com/download.aspx" target="blank">download it here</a>. The catch (other than being an unpaid beta tester) is that it's multiplayer only, at least according to folks on the <a href="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460825" target="blank">Paradox Forums</a>. But hey, now you have a chance to marry a fellow Codexer! So who's the first lucky couple? Kaiserin and KC? Sheek and Trash? SMA and anyone who will pay attention to her?

^ Top  
  2. SlavemasterT Arcane

SlavemasterT
    Parrots:
    POOPER LET'S FINALLY SEAL OUR BOND OF MANLOVE

fuck, I'd give this a shot if I wasn't in the middle of a massive reformatting and OS install on my desktop

^ Top  
  3. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Parrots:
    DU and VD.
    Ein Herz und eine Seele.

^ Top  
  4. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Parrots:
    Zwei Pimmeln und zwei Arschloche. :smug:

^ Top  
  5. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    Has potential to be damn good fun in multiplayer, though I'd love to be able to conduct a full MP campaign. Will give this a shot.

^ Top  
  6. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ...UND KEINE EIER!

^ Top  
  7. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    Sheek was in it only for the sex. The filthy bastard.

^ Top  
  8. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    Parrots:
    Some guy at the paradox forum said:

Hm.

^ Top  
  9. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    The MP is pretty fun. Sword cavalry is way too powerful though. Fuckers ram down fuckers like fuck.

^ Top  
  10. Reeeeeeeally. If it goes beyond what's been offered in mods then I might be interested. Maybe. If it's cheap. And on Steam.

^ Top  
  11. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Parrots:
    Betting the way these will work will be plain absurd.

^ Top  
  12. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    Parrots:
    It should be, and that poses a balancing problem. Theoretically you shouldn't be able to do jack shit with a one-hander+shield against a horseman.

Do the infantrymen always get some anti-cavalry weapons (spears, crossbows, throwing axes), or do you start with a single weapon and get hopelessly screwed over?

^ Top  
  13. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    "As you can see I have the miliitary experiance to kick all of your asses, put me on the throne or else" is absurd? The Rhodok 's elected king thingy is also reasonable to let the player in on.

^ Top  
  14. filogreek Scholar

filogreek
    Parrots:
    Might depend on the server but:
    Infantry usually get 2 free weapons (i.e. think of it as the free pistol everyone gets in counter strike before they decide to buy something better).

For most factions, this is a basic 1-hander and a short spear. You can buy thrown-weapons like javelins too though.

You don't have to use a spear, if you are experienced (and a bit lucky) you usually can maneuver into a position where the guy can't hit you (e.g. in front of horse, then side step either left/right to avoid his current swing or lance direction). That way you can even kill or dismount them with a short sword.

However it is always more fun to get a throwing-axe headshot against a charging lancer.

^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Oh nice, that sounds just like 3 different mods I'm playing.

^ Top  
  16. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    That we'll all get bored of eventually anyway. Random map generator might have provided more interest.

Which will be as irrelevant as the existing factions.

Which you won't care about because you'll still go after the best armour in the game.

?

Unless they fixed the economy, this is going to suck some major ass.

I have a high suspicion they have failed to fix the economy, given how long it took for the game to get to v1.0 which ultimately was the same as it was three years earlier at v0.5. Oh yeah and the whole "adding in marriage" thing leads me to believe they were focussed elsewhere.

Finally!

?

^ Top  
  17. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Nice to see that you can use the same tactics as in singleplayer.

^ Top  
  18. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    I'm quite enjoying this so far, but I've got this annoying several-second delay in my blocks/attacks that makes it basically impossible to fight anyone I haven't taken by surprise/used a bow against. My ping and performance are fine otherwise, anyone know the cause? I know it's not meant to be instantaneous, but (for example) my shield stays up for about three seconds after I let go of the block button.

^ Top  
  19. Casus belli Liturgist

Casus belli
    Parrots:
    I also have this sort of problem, and my ping is usually in the 120-150 range, which is good for FPSs. Apparently this game is much more sensible when it comes to pings, at least that's what I read in the forums and what I concluded when I played it. I'm getting better at it, but I still find it very hard to win a shield vs shield fight.

^ Top  
  20. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    At least they got the only important thing in RPGs.

^ Top  
  21. Saxon1974 Cipher

Saxon1974
    Parrots:
    IS the beta only showing the multiplayer part?

Can anyone beta testing tell us if the they took out the RPG stuff like stats and leveling from the single player part?

^ Top  
  22. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    Parrots:
    as far as i can tell, yes. you choose a side and then choose a "class". and if you feel like it(and have the money) you can buy some armor and weapons.

^ Top  
  23. Szioul Arcane Patron

Szioul
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    He was asking about SP, not MP. Although I'm not an SP beta tester, so I can't say for sure, but I can't see why they'd remove it in SP.

^ Top  
  24. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    Parrots:
    oh. well, seems like it is one of those mornings for me again.

no, singleplayer still has stats and all. the only big changes are listed a few posts up.

^ Top  
  25. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Parrots:
    "
    "Betting the way these will work will be plain absurd"

Eg. the way sieges work, not that laying siege is a silly concept.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)