Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2 review at Worthplaying

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The art direction for NWN2 is superb. The armors are all very detailed and the swords and their associated effects look nice. Spells are very beautiful, and 'hit effects' look great, too. Did I mention that there's cloaks, robes, cloth trenchcoats and other neat things? Characters have pleasing faces and they don't look like Oblivion's down syndrome characters.

I really don't know what's so great about Oblivion's graphics. Aside from the lush terrain, the characters look like garbage and the artistic direction on the armors and weapons in the game leave a lot to be desired. Spells are a fucking joke and hit effects typically consist of coating an enemy with a red glow. By contrast, NWN2's explosive weapon effects are pretty damn neat to look at. Combat doesn't seem very impressive early on, but once you get magical and elemental damage items, it looks really nice and visceral, and spells are awesome.

Draw distance uses the same effect as Gothic 3 - it looks realistically blended in fog (square indoor lights shining through) without looking like a wall of foggy nothingness.

Due to the artistic direction, NWN2's characters look better and more detailed than Oblivion's high poly characters. NPCs have distinct faces and don't look like they came out of some random generator.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Go have sex with the game. It's obvious you want to.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, there is. It's called FO2, and BG2. R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0LLERZ!

p.s. btw, Where did I say NWN OC wa sbetter than NWN2 OC? Sure didn't say that in my 'early impressions' or anywhere else for that matter to my knowledge.

MORE LIES BY YOU!!!

R00fles!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Those Oblivion shots look pretty asstastic. Terrible aliasing going on there.

Any game that supports anti-aliasing automatically has better graphics than Oblivion. The lack of anisotropic-filtering was also an eyesore in those shots.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Elwro said:
Well, no AA, because I turned HDR on. I prefer HDR... better colours imo.

You should have got an ATI card...HDR and AA can be enabled at the same time. ATI image quality pwns (well it did up until a couple of days ago)

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
1. Combat plays pretty much exactly as NWN1, and that game was not about 'clicking wildly'. LOL What a maroon.

It only plays pretty much the same if you imagine you don't have a party in NWN2. That makes the battles much different. They are also more challenging than NWN1.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, they aren't. I cruise through the game. The only time I get in any trouble even remotely is when I am riushing through and I haven't rest for a long while. The game is eays. heck, I have NEVER even been damaged by the wussy trolls. Not even for one damage. LOL

NWN2 is EASY. even easier than TOEE or KOTOR.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
No, they aren't. I cruise through the game. The only time I get in any trouble even remotely is when I am riushing through and I haven't rest for a long while. The game is eays. heck, I have NEVER even been damaged by the wussy trolls. Not even for one damage. LOL

NWN2 is EASY. even easier than TOEE or KOTOR.

I would call this nonsense. I didn't have trouble with one single battle in KOTOR, not once was I defeated. Just as bad in NWN1 where my ranger just owned everything. Several fights in NWN2 on the other hand have been challenging, just because the trolls and bugbears and some others are breezes doesn't make it all a breeze. The "assassin thugs" once overwhelmed me and took me out. The Gytianqi (sp?) once took me down to one almost dead party member as they attacked me from two directions. I am also pretty sure some battles would have been more or less challenging due to party composition. for sure having qara around makes things easier... Haste, Fireball, fireball, win. Should be noted I play on "hardcore rules" as then there is friendly fire. Though that is not much of a problem, Qara would be like a God without friendly fire. Imagine 6 fireballs just in the thick of fight. :?

There are threads in the NWN2 forum "why is the game so difficult"?

That said, I have a feeling the game will be easier further up as the party will scale away from the enemies.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:
It looks like you're walking on the surface of the sun.
For me it doesn't. I even have bloom disabled, precisely not to have such an effect. Hm, but I'm a daltonist, too, so your mileage may vary.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"There are threads in the NWN2 forum "why is the game so difficult"?"

As there was for NWN1. Your point, moron?

I play on hardcore too. It's easy. The githyanki are easy as well. The only times enemies really htreaten me and albeit barely is when I'm rushing with no buffs and I haven't rested in a long time.

The game is easy. if it's hard foryou; that's because youa re stupid.

Period.

suibhne

Erudite
I play on hardcore too. It's easy. The githyanki are easy as well. The only times enemies really htreaten me and albeit barely is when I'm rushing with no buffs and I haven't rested in a long time.

Or because you built a non-combat-oriented character, or you don't want to exploit NWN's stupid "rest" system and want to get through an entire dungeon with only the resources you brought in... Face it, games like this are usually easy for tanks and much harder for non-tanks; it's just the fly in the ointment when it comes to balancing combat-heavy CRPGs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It doesn't matter if you build a 'non combat oriented' character for this game for several reasons:

1. ALL D&D character sbuilds are useful in combat. Period.

2. This is a party based game. So, even if you nerf your character; the other c haracters can pick up the slack.

The game is easy. Period.

Jon

Scholar
suibhne said:
Good response. :wink:

The game is easy though, at least if you use puppet mode. Having no rest zones might persuade me to challange myself more but I generally only have to rest once per area and some areas have alot of combat.

suibhne

Erudite
To be fair, the only place I've had problems so far was against wave after wave of sneak-attacking rogues. And that was partly the game's fault: Neeshka and my PC both succeeded in their Spot/Listen checks and were able to see 95% of the incoming rogues, and I would send my tank off to meet them one by one - but the rogues all got Sneak Attacks on him even tho they'd already been spotted (no more concealment) and weren't flanking (1v1 fight). Unless I really misunderstand D&D rules about Sneak Attack, that's total bullshit - and one of several stupid mechanics bugs I've noticed so far.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
"There are threads in the NWN2 forum "why is the game so difficult"?"

As there was for NWN1. Your point, moron?

The game is easy. if it's hard foryou; that's because youa re stupid.

Period.

It could also have something to do with you getting a plate armor +2 and a tower shield +1 by level 6. I am level 12 now and still have not seen a plate armor +2, just one +1. 2-3 more or less in armor class for the tanks can make a hell of a difference.

Like I said above, as suspected, the game now at level 12 is much more without challenge. Gityanki on their own is not much of a problem, but when two groups end up attacking you at the same time then they can pose a problem. Orcs on the other hand was a breeze. All in all the thiefs/thugs was the most problematic opponents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom