Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
Obsidian still want to make another PoE so soon? I thought they will transition into AA/A for a while before making another cRPG again.

They want to be a company that does multiple projects at the same time, Feargus has said this in the past and after Microsoft bought them. Not to mention Microsoft needs their developers releasing a steady amount of content for the Game Pass. That doesn't work that well if their studios are all working on a single project at a time. Which means (with their current number of employees) that they will have two "bigger" projects and one smaller. And as past has already shown us, they are shifting people from project to an another within the development cycles of their games.

Quillon

Arcane
Responsibilities
  • Working with the Game Director and Design Director to develop the plot and major story points based on the overall game direction

Guess Josh lovin his new role of doing nothing in the studio :P "I'm giving feedback, they can take it or leave it"

Quillon

Arcane
How many games they are making tho? Didn't Kate herself become a lead ND recently? The project they started late last year should also have LND and there is Leonard LNDing TOW.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So what game is Patel busy on if she's not available? (Additional humor: this means no one currently working at Obsidian is qualified to be lead, which is appropriate)

3+ yrs experience, one shipped game w/ branching dialog, v. knowledgeable abt RPG design conventions.

How many people could possibly apply for this job?

Flou

Arbiter
How many games they are making tho? Didn't Kate herself become a lead ND recently? The project they started late last year should also have LND and there is Leonard LNDing TOW.

My guess is 3½ games/projects

Unreal Engine game (Brennecke)
Pillars/Smaller game (Perez)
TOW DLC
Support on TOW and Pre-production on TOW2 or something else Cain&Boayarsky want to work on.

Dollarhyde might be leading the narrative designing on TOW DLC. Unless one of the two unannounced games is a lot smaller than your normal Obsidian game when it comes to narrative design.
They've had their less experienced guys like Scokel be the lead writers on DLCs previously as well.

If Patel is leading one of the two unannounced projects that would still leave the other one without a lead.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
For all we know, the person who responds to that ad could be the next Ziets or Gonzalez. Stay positive, guys!

Duraframe300

Arcane
Responsibilities
  • Working with the Game Director and Design Director to develop the plot and major story points based on the overall game direction

Guess Josh lovin his new role of doing nothing in the studio :P "I'm giving feedback, they can take it or leave it"

Not Josh. Design Director meant here is badler. Also this is referring to the Microsoft project.

Btw: Be careful wishing for Gonzalez. Horizon Zero Dawn was basically the anthithesis of New Vegas (no/fake choices with predifned protagonist.) with added SJW. Him alone will help nothing.

The Real Fanboy
giphy.gif

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best rpgs ever tho

Quillon

Arcane
Be careful wishing for Gonzalez. Horizon Zero Dawn was basically the anthithesis of New Vegas (no/fake choices with predifned protagonist.) with added SJW. Him alone will help nothing.

He said as much that NV was choice driven and Horizon Zero Fucks was story driven(with disgusting character models from what I saw). Guess you need to give him the right type of game to write for. I won't stop wishing for another JoshGonzo game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Be careful wishing for Gonzalez. Horizon Zero Dawn was basically the anthithesis of New Vegas (no/fake choices with predifned protagonist.) with added SJW. Him alone will help nothing.

He said as much that NV was choice driven and Horizon Zero Fucks was story driven(with disgusting character models from what I saw). Guess you need to give him the right type of game to write for. I won't stop wishing for another JoshGonzo game.

JoshGonzo I can get behind ;)

Bohr

Arcane
His answers are always pretty interesting, wouldn't mind living in the alternate universe where his idea for BG3 was being made.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Wishful thinking who would work on the game: Megan, Avellone, Zeits, Sawyer, Boyarsky, Cain and ... GRRM.

EDIT:
TheSentinel , Infinitron I see you're not that optimistic. Let me try to persuade you otherwise. Read this loooong article on Elden Ring.
TLDR, GRRM wrote mythology which correlates to DM's tabletop RPG. Therefore, he would fit with Obsidian like a glove. Deadfire's tabletop ruleset would need to change and expand in many interesting ways for poeIII.
That's why Martin would be perfect for this work.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy

This video is really about Xbox's cute new studio but at 4:00 they give some background stuff on their trip to Obsidian when they did the fierce month long Outer Worlds story (https://www.gameinformer.com/theouterworlds)!!! Nothing totally new and amazing but they mention Feargus talking about how much paperwork was involved and having to go over every contract Obsidian ever made with Microsoft!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom