Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Tigranes

Arcane
This is a really good concept to work on, but completely the wrong company to touch it.

You basically have two approaches to the "evil won/you are the evil" -scenario.

a.) You do it tongue-in-cheek, making fun of stereotypes and playing with tropes

or

b.) You do it seriously, showering the player with ever increasing amount of evil deeds and cruelty

If the trailer is true, then they have opted for the option b. From what we've seen in PoE and DSIII, I don't believe Obsidian has the talent for this. It is very hard to stay true to the original vision and make the player play the bad guy. Chances are they'll pussy out halfway and make the player rebel against the evil overlord or someshit. Or then it will be banal shit boring lawful evil bureaucracy all the way.

The whole thing would probably work better as an evil overlord simulation where you make nation level decisions and react on events rather than focus on single characters.

Except Obsidian have done evil options better than any major studio in the last 10 years. It was one of the telltale differentiating factors from Bethesda, Bioware, etc. POE and DS3 are written pretty much for you to be various shades of a good hero. You might as well say they can't write anything serious anymore after South Park.

The real question is, between this game and POE2, we will see Obsidian's new crop of writers really flex their muscles, so it'll be a test of how good they really are.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You have never played the "Evil" options in any of the Obsidian games then?

Yes, and that is why I don't think they can carry an entire game with that. It takes finesse. Obsidian evil is just desensitizing and boring.

Compare their way with something like Harvester, where you start with minor pranks and progress doing worse and worse. I can still remember Harvester's c&c twenty years later, while from Obsidian's more recent games I just remember that the evil route was mainly boring.

Evil in general is very hard to do well. You can watch American Psycho because it is absurd, but Irréversible or Maniac are not something that most people like watching. Now if you put the same into a game that is several times longer...

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is nothing better, than reading about your favourite developer announcing new isometric RPG while going to work in a dirty subway train.

Отправлено с моего SM-A510F через Tapatalk

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Yes, and that is why I don't think they can carry an entire game with that. It takes finesse. Obsidian evil is just desensitizing and boring.

Compare their way with something like Harvester, where you start with minor pranks and progress doing worse and worse. I can still remember Harvester's c&c twenty years later, while from Obsidian's more recent games I just remember that the evil route was mainly boring.

Evil in general is very hard to do well. You can watch American Psycho because it is absurd, but Irréversible or Maniac are not something that most people like watching. Now if you put the same into a game that is several times longer...

What specifically was wrong how Obsidian did "Evil" in say NWN2 or Mask of the Betrayer then?

Prime Junta

Gotta agree, Obsidian has a knack for somewhat unfortunate game titles. First White March, now Tranny. Rumor has it their next one is Wicca-themed and called Outwitch.

Mustawd

I seriously keep seeing "Tranny" every time this thread pops up. I agree with what someone else said, that "Tyrant" would have been a better title.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always hoped Obsidian would make a game where they will have a full creative control and not get fucked by publisher. Then they made PoE and I wanted to eat my words, now I hope Paradox puts a rein on them.

Mustawd

Unless it's a famous name I really don't see the benefit of even announcing who the lead is.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I always hoped Obsidian would make a game where they will have a full creative control and not get fucked by publisher. Then they made PoE and I wanted to eat my words, now I hope Paradox puts a rein on them.

They have no creative control on this project? Can you point me to the source where they mention this?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They have no creative control on this project? Can you point me to the source where they mention this?

Can you point me to a source which claims I said they have no creative control on this project, since in my recollection I said I HOPE they get little creative control.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Unless it's a famous name I really don't see the benefit of even announcing who the lead is.

Well you can look at his past work. In Brian Heins case that would be Rockstars Bully, the cancelled Mitsoda RPG Dwarves (which was also a *darker* look at a fairytale) ans South Park.

He doesn't have much in the sense of crpg experience so its a surprise how its going to turn out either way. I'd be more interested to know who is the writing lead.

Mustawd

I mean benefit on Obsidian's side. Although, I suppose someone has to write the dev log updates or whatever the fuck people expect nowadays.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
This is a really good concept to work on, but completely the wrong company to touch it.

a.) You do it tongue-in-cheek, making fun of stereotypes and playing with tropes

or

b.) You do it seriously, showering the player with ever increasing amount of evil deeds and cruelty

If the trailer is true, then they have opted for the option b. From what we've seen in PoE and DSIII, I don't believe Obsidian has the talent for this. It is very hard to stay true to the original vision and make the player play the bad guy. Chances are they'll pussy out halfway and make the player rebel against the evil overlord or someshit. Or then it will be banal shit boring lawful evil bureaucracy all the way.

The whole thing would probably work better as an evil overlord simulation where you make nation level decisions and react on events rather than focus on single characters.

Ziets is gone bro...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

or

Ziets is gone bro...

Ziets wrote ALL the Evil options in Mask of the Betrayer? (Also remember there is the "EVIL" parts of NWN2, of which he did not write).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What specifically was wrong how Obsidian did "Evil" in say NWN2 or Mask of the Betrayer then?

Well, let's take MotB for example.
- there is no consistency; you can do all the good choices and then end up getting the ultimate evil ending that is completely opposite to the character you've played until then
- there is no real justification. In the ending slides you hunt down all those who've wronged you... but who are they exactly? Path of "justified" vengeance and refusal to turn the other cheek would be good ways of gradually turning to evil. Not to mention they would be hard choices (it isn't easy to forgive)
- character reactions to your choices are very poor. "You've triggered the attack flag, now I will deliver two lines of cringeworthy dialogue and force you to kill me
- the most "evil" things happen in the ending slides, outside of your control

In general, the whole idea of "succumbing to your hunger" is not that appealing to me. The "evil" in you is literally an external force you can master, not a product of your choices and who your character truly is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom