Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Onlive

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Xi, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Xi Arcane

Xi
    Is this the future of PC gaming? It sure as hell seems interesting if it works!

www.onlive.com

Essentially, the game is rendered on a high power cluster and sent to your computer, TV, laptop, whatever over a network. The technology looks pretty promising and may be ready for release sooner than later.

Personally I can see some pretty promising advantages to this system. Pretty neat!

^ Top  
  2. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    Old, hoax, impossible.

^ Top  
  3. Xi Arcane

Xi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

It's not a hoax, and will be out possibly in the next few months. It was demoed at the GDC in San Fran earlier this year with functional games like Crysis via a network. Not gonna hold my breath for it, but it's certainly interesting.

I guess it will require a 5Mbps connection for optimal play(or faster). Log in, buy a game(or rent), and then run them off their super-cluster at maximum PC quality. The PC savings make it super cheap in comparison to building a PC to play. EA has signed on, so it seems somewhat promising. Promising in terms of not being vaporware that is. Not in terms of the quality of shit EA shovels.

It essentially gives PC gamers a "Console" where all games just work.

^ Top  
  4. phanboy_iv Scholar

phanboy_iv
    It gives publishers what they've always dreamed of: The power to charge you good money just to look at their games without all that pesky "ownership" and "secondhand sales" business.

^ Top  
  5. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    Well I know with my reputation if I said stuff like "it's fucking impossible to have less than 1ms lag on anything but LAN" or "where will you find a hardware to render hundreds of Crysises at once" people wouldn't believe me, so here, have someone else tell you all that stuff.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-w ... rk-article

(And note the date on the article)

^ Top  
  6. Xi Arcane

Xi
    It also gives gamers the $800-1500 computer cost to invest in those games. Then these companies invest in hardware from the manufacturers and in essence change how the system works.

As it turns out, there are a few companies set to launch these type of systems. Onlive just seems to be the closest to launch. Still, people are wondering whether current internet connectivity will be enough. It may be a few more years before it happens for this reason.

I know I can get a 10Mbps connection in Idaho(affordably). So I doubt the 5Mbps connection will be too difficult to manage.

^ Top  
  7. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    We already discussed this (a) year(s) ago. Emo sucker is right, for once.

^ Top  
  8. Xi Arcane

Xi
    The technology has already been demoed and is working. Though, the scale of use isn't in the millions, so one has to wonder what problems would arise. Still, doesn't make it impossible. It already works. It's a matter of how reliable and smooth it will work.

^ Top  
  9. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Consider the lag issues on a massively used server. This is bullshit, really. The "experts" keep whining about the nodes being overloaded, well, if they're anywhere correct, this would blow them the hell up.

Shit system, anyway, but perfect for the shit games that the industry loves cashing in on these days. I honestly fail to see any reason to be excited over it.

^ Top  
  10. Xi Arcane

Xi
    Oct 2nd, 2009
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/44167/179/

^ Top  
  11. Xi Arcane

Xi
    ^ Top  
  12. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    Just like Phantom.

^ Top  
  13. Xi Arcane

Xi
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. Xi Arcane

Xi
    OnLive is launching the world’s highest performance Games On Demand service, instantly delivering the latest high-end titles over home broadband Internet to the TV and entry-level PCs and Macs.
    Founded by noted technology entrepreneur Steve Perlman (WebTV, QuickTime) and incubated within the Rearden media and technology incubator, OnLive spent seven years in stealth development before officially unveiling in March 2009.
    OnLive, together with its Mova subsidiary, lies directly at the nexus of several key trends, all of which are reshaping the way we think about and use digital media:
    The shift to cloud computing, displacing the limitations, cost and complexity of local computing;
    An explosion of consumer broadband connectivity, bringing fast bandwidth to the home;
    Unprecedented innovation, creativity and expansion within the video game market.
    Pioneering the delivery of rich interactive media to the home, OnLive will change the way that entertainment applications are created, delivered and consumed.

^ Top  
  15. Xi Arcane

Xi
  16. phanboy_iv Scholar

phanboy_iv
    Copypasting PR drivel, nice.

Sorry, this is nothing but an attempt by publishers to arrive at the ultimate form of DRM, and as such I will have no part of it. Probably no one else will either, even assuming it works properly in the wild.

Maybe that demographic that spends hours each day playing flash games will go for it, who knows.

^ Top  
  17. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Here's an idea: have a friend (you have friends right?) set up a VNC server on his computer, then connect to it and try to play a game on his computer through VNC. You'll quickly understand why this is an bullshit scam.

^ Top  
  18. Lockkaliber Magister Patron

Lockkaliber
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Gizmondo anyone?

^ Top  
  19. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    You're so excited Xi, but have you seen the Onlive controller?

Because you honestly don't think you can use mouse and keyboard, do you?

^ Top  
  20. Xi Arcane

Xi
    You can use mouse and keyboard.

^ Top  
  21. Twinkle Liturgist

Twinkle
    Bunch of console publishers with two exceptions. Yeah, sure, they are really interested in PC gaming. :roll:

^ Top  
  22. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I signed up for the beta -- might as well have access to games for free for a few months or whatever. No way would I ever actually subscribe, though.

^ Top  
  23. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    He actually thinks that he'll get to play games for free.

^ Top  
  24. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    For people with uber connections, it will probably work. For all others, it won't. Simple as that.

Also... all the people that have such a connection are most likely rich enough to also have uber PCs and simply won't need such a service.

Whoever funds this idea totally ignores the desire of people to have some sort of property.
    Seriously, a game at GOG, gamersgate, etc. is simply more desirable by anyone who wants to "own" something.

^ Top  
  25. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    It's a hoax. You can have 1000GBps of connection all you want but it still won't save you from the ping/packet losses which will make any twitchbased game unplayable.

You will have to have such superpower clusters in every single town to provide the same experience as having a game on your pc and no corporation on Earth has or will have so much money ever. Not only that but imagine what superpower cluster you will need to provide services to some 1000 of people (which will, say, want to play Crysis in 1920x1200 with 4xFSAA and everything maxed out)? I think it's a hoax just like Natal - it may come out but everything will be much much much more simple - like it will just be some kind of new DRM akin to MMO servers - like you will have only a game client on your PC which will not work solo because f.e. all math is done on the server.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)