Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Let's see how they manage to fill the world with interesting content. I have my doubts.

Deleted Member 16721

It will likely be a Kenshi-like but with some quests, i.e. an open world where your adventure *is* your story, how you survive and manage the harsh elements. It likely won't be a typical RPG in that way, which is cool because we have a million of those, and only one Kenshi (now about to have a Kenshi and a Kenshi-like :).)

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
These screenshots actually look cool

SnowCity.gif

outward_cities.webp

RapineDel

Augur
It will likely be a Kenshi-like but with some quests, i.e. an open world where your adventure *is* your story, how you survive and manage the harsh elements. It likely won't be a typical RPG in that way, which is cool because we have a million of those, and only one Kenshi (now about to have a Kenshi and a Kenshi-like :).)

So "make your own fun" and no actual decent content of its own. Cool, just like a Bethesda gaeme.

:killit:

Deleted Member 16721

So "make your own fun" and no actual decent content of its own. Cool, just like a Bethesda gaeme.

:killit:

My guess (note - guess) is that it will feature some questing but the majority of the story will be your own creation, how you survived in the wilds, how you hunted and managed to slay some ferocious beast, the secrets you discovered on your travels. This is not a bad thing, in fact it's a great thing as 99% of RPGs force-feed you the story and you have no choice but to oblige. Kenshi was refreshing because you don't "make your own fun", but because of the systems in the game the fun is presented to you in a unique way and it becomes "your" story. So this game will likely be similar, the fun comes but it will be a different experience for everyone. I do also expect it to have some quests, too, in the traditional sense. But it's going to be a great incline of a CRPG since it will deviate from the norm and do its own unique thing (or at least be a Kenshi-like which we definitely need.)

imweasel

Who's buying this day one with me?
I'm getting the "demo" on day one because two hours isn't enough to test a game. If i'm still enjoying myself after 6 hours then I'll buy it.

In any case, I will be prepared on release day.

:drink:

Why play this, when BOTW exists?
Are you having fun replaying BotW for the 15th time? :D

BotW isn't that great anyway, because it is way too repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niklasgunner

Savant
I'm a sucker for exploration without waypoints and that alone makes the game more interesting than anything else releasing this year. Also no savescumming allowed, this will be good :positive:

Niklasgunner

Savant
Apparently the quests are all designed by the devs, nothing randomized or "make your own fun" past exploring the world on your own. They are also timed, so you might have a quest with a timelimit of multiple ingame days
also:
VFl3gau.png

Basically if you die, depending on enemies and your environment, you may be captured by bandits and stripped of your gear, get rescued by villagers etc. Either way, you get punished with lost time. This will be big :incline:

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, apparently quests can be timed and even completed by another party if you wait too long. The world will continue to move along. Really cool. They will also have multiple solutions and consequences, also, there is essentially a "Consequences Mode" which I've been wanting forever, meaning that the game will autosave your choices so you have to roll with what happens. It's really shaping up to be a great game, can't wait until the 26th!

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
if they do survival shit and monsters in between cities with actual questing, that could be fine. that'd require a level of care (and time to work) that's not present in any game this company has ever published though so i'm not like, super hopeful

Deleted Member 16721

Nah, no jinxing, it will be good, and at least give me enough entertainment as it is. With what they've shown so far I can't imagine it being bad, unless something went horribly wrong somewhere.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I just yesterday found out about Outward which seems weird to me since I've wished for a co-op RPG dungeon-crawl/adventuring game for quite some time. While I kinda liked Vermintide et al, it's hasn't got enough 'adventure' feeling for me and Dark Souls is generally the only game that ever gave me that feeling I was searching for. Unfortunately without the possibility of really playing the game with a friend. DO:S on the other hand was too much story and while I liked the idea of co-op, it just never clicked for me because I like to take my sweet time to read, re-read everything and immerse myself into the story, so having someone always waiting for me feels a bit stressful. This seems to hit the middle-ground between story (through atmosphere/environmental storytelling) and actual playing the game.

It also looks really good, I like the overall design and the ideas behind it.

But the think that will maybe break the game is vast emptiness, 'realism' that's not really fun and the whole survival part that I never found to be any fun. At all.

So, I'd like to think this will be exactly what I was looking for, I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

The factions sound kind of generic. The game doesn't look very interesting to be honest.

To be fair, I sometimes like 'generic' fantasy, as long as it's done well. That's rare but simply having non-generic weird shit can turn out just as bad. Most of the time it's even worse.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I think the lack of info for the game, lore included, is making it seem generic. I think it will be a bit of a sleeper game, when people get it in their hands they'll see the lore and interesting mechanics, etc.. I'm just trying to make time pass until the 26th...

Heretic

Cipher
  • Only one save slot
  • The game saves every time you make a decision or something happens
  • Death is not a game over, but some semi-random scenario occurs: You can be enslaved, imprisoned, robbed and left for dead...
  • Multiple factions
  • Huge world with 4 different regions
  • Day/night cycle + seasons of the year!
  • The map doesn't show you where exactly you are, manual triangulation is needed
  • Difficult combat a la Dark Souls
  • Pitch-black dungeons, you need a torch (or lantern for both free hands)
  • Splitscreen coop, enemies have more health and stability (poise)
  • Diseases (food poisoning...)
Sounds great!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom