Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Does anyone know if it restricts you to one save slot per character or one save slot only?

One slot per character, and it saves automatically. No pausing either.

Retarded design for a singleplayer game, especially given how jank it is.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
Timed main quest? Like Fallout?
The main quest is not timed. One of the first quests is timed in that you have five days to pay off your debt.

If you don't, the game goes on. You lose your house, but you can buy it later (for twice your debt).

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more I hear about this one, the more I like it. I admire the devs for doing something different.

Deleted Member 16721

In a day and age when a lot of devs take ideas from popular one year or two year old games, it is nice to see them do something very different. I still feel it can be considered a Kenshi-like as it has a lot of similar elements but it's going to have proper questing and story, so it will be different. Kudos to the devs for taking a chance.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... and at the same time it's not so "different". MMO gameplay with a generic-looking world and borrowing a lot of UI/aesthetic from Dark Souls. Wish em luck but far more daring stuff out there.

Deleted Member 16721

... and at the same time it's not so "different". MMO gameplay with a generic-looking world and borrowing a lot of UI/aesthetic from Dark Souls.

I don't know where you get MMO gameplay or generic world from. Sure they're opinions but I strongly disagree. The dev diary about adventuring looks far from generic. And which game has an enormous open-world with survival mechanics and Dark Souls-like combat? Everything under the sun has been done but not everything has been synthesized together in the same unique way. There are no other games out there that cover what this game is trying to accomplish.

Deleted Member 16721

Can you possibly be more pompous about this? No

Sorry, not trying to be pompous, but it's annoying to see "generic" and "MMO" thrown around like that. Same stuff was said about Kingdoms of Amalur which simply was not true in my experience. A lot of games get called generic that don't get a proper shot given. Just saying don't write it off before it even comes out. :)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bruh it does look generic tbh. In a similar way to Amalur, in fact. And why did you have to bring Amalur into it anyway? I am actually a bigger fan of Amalur than most people here but if there was a generic MMO-ish SP game its definitely Amalur

meanwhile, saying generic and MMO is annoying, but I'm sure repeating "Kenshi" over and over (and over) like a parrot is not annoying. Seriously dude, gaming didn't begin with fucking Kenshi (and Im a fan of that game)

Deleted Member 16721

I'm just excited we're getting a Kenshi-like, that's all. I hope more are to come. I do think Kenshi is one of the best games I've ever played, but I only put 200 hours into it so far, barely scratched the surface. I'm just saying that Outward looks good, not generic to me but none of us know any of the lore yet other than artwork we've seen. I don't see how you can call it generic based on that.

I just mentioned Amalur (which I also like) because that was called generic too, but in the lore it wasn't at all. But to each their own. I'm just trying to kill time until this game comes out...

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Why am I the only one concerned that there's only one save slot and no manual saving? This will be review bombed so hard at release...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's a 40 hour open world RPG made on a shoestring budget. Of course it will be buggy.

Beyond that, it's completely unnecessary in a singleplayer game. There are numerous valid reasons why someone may want to reload a previous save.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
if you are that autistic you can always just copy the save file to other file and overwrite it over the save where you screw up. i myself dont mind and it probably just isn't a game for you

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, it's meant to be a consequences mode. It's a great addition that I wish more games had.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Most people that play open world RPG do care about being able to reload previous saves, as the developers will soon learn.

Not having multiple saves adds zero value to the experience. It's only going to piss people off once their only save state is bugged.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Yeah, it's meant to be a consequences mode. It's a great addition that I wish more games had.

Don't reload then? It's a singleplayer game.

I don't have unlimited freetime to replay every open world RPG, so I often like to reload and experiment with different outcomes.

It adds plenty to the game. You might want to just skip it.

What does it add? And is it worth the risk of losing dozens of hours because of a gamebreaking bug?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The developers are arrogant. There's no reason why a basic feature like multiple saves shouldn't be allowed in a singleplayer game.

But hey, if you want to be the idiot that wastes 30 hours because of a gamebreaking bug, don't let me stop you.

Deleted Member 16721

What does it add? Tension, interest, tough choices to make. Living with consequences and crafting a unique story for each player. I've been asking for this for years. It feels too cheap to reload and metagame. This makes sure that can't be done.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
and people like me dont have constraint and self control to put a cap on exploiting features. by not putting it, it put a hard cap i cannot get around easily. the concept is at the very least interesting, but the execution can go many ways

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
What does it add? Tension, interest, tough choices to make. Living with consequences and crafting a unique story for each player. I've been asking for this for years. It feels too cheap to reload and metagame. This makes sure that can't be done.

Again, no one is forcing you to reload by having multiple saves. Just because you don't have any self control, doesn't mean that others should be made to suffer.

Having fun for 30 hours is not wasting time.

It is for people that care about finishing games. Running into a gamebreaking bug after 30 hours and having no way to restore a previous save would sour me on the entire experience.

Deleted Member 16721

Then I'd skip it and look elsewhere or wait on reviews. No one has self control when it comes down to it so it's cool the devs are adding that. I can sense the butthurt incoming already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom