Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by raw, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    So I finally got around to 5L my Sire of Shards this morning when a little unexpected magic happened:

[​IMG]
    I guess this means we're engaged.

While unexpected I'm quite happy with this, as while a 6L Regalia might be more flexible, 6L is quite becoming on this particular ability. So for now I've given it to my Witch, as SoS requires level 49 and my Witch is, quite serendipitously, also exactly level 49. But this doesn't seem like in appropriate weapon for a necromancer so eventually it will go back to Omachi.

Anyway, I'm now doing research on all the various projectile skills as previously I was already making rain quite well with Bladefall. Any suggestions?

I was wondering about the pro and cons of Ice Spear vs. Arctic Breath. They seem similar but Arctic Breath seems superior?

I'm also looking at Incinerate cwc Fireball (to control the mana consumption).

Anyway, time to do some testing. The Nova effect should work with minions like Elementals and Spectres, right?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Sire should work with projectile-using summons.
    Using Sire for self-cast projectile skills kinda seems meh because you're forced to go into the packs for best effect.
    I was playing with the idea of Sire-using trapper (magma orb and/or ball lightning as traps).
    Otherwise, going with totems is a sure way to make good use of the staff.
    I have a (pretty vanilla) flame totem Sire of shards chieftan, but with a little twist - using Empire's grasp gloves to reverse knockback + stacking knock back chance on passives + jewels (+gem for guaranteed madness). The resulting effect is similar to vaal cyclone - your totems drag the mobs towards them (flame totems have the highest base cast speed in the game, which helps a lot).
    Otherwise, I've seen some fairly interesting Sire-using ball lightning spell totem builds.

P.S.: both ice spear and arctic breath are utter rubbish. Spears simply suck overall, while arctic breath still has the worst collision detection ever.
    P.P.S.: Try using frostbolt instead! It's very solid. And with 2x threshold jewels and +2 totem proj jewel you'll be getting 9x projectiles on the Sire totems without any LMP/GMP gem! If you try it - pls make some screenshots :3.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    ^ Top  
  4. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    I never thought of using totems with that staff, that's hilarious. You could call it the potato crasher, given how much shit must end up on screen.

^ Top  
  5. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You could also try Freezing Pulse totem. You can put it into middle of packs where it does most damage and it will destroy shit in all directions.
    Also this jewel exists: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/First_Snow

^ Top  
  6. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    [​IMG]

Confirmed that SoS works with minions, so it might serve for a Necromancer weapon after all. For now I have Flame Golem - Raise Spectre - Faster Projectiles - Minion Damage - Minion Speed - Fire Penetration, and still using Wither cwc Bladefall on the chest. I'll see how Knitted Horrors and Flame Sentinels do once I get to Merciless, but not sure if I will commit to Spectres yet. I could use Flame Totem or Fireball instead- in fact I'll probably need to since I'll probably end up needing to put Auras on the chest instead.

Unfortunately if I put SoS on Omachi (Scion) I wont be able to use it with a Totem since the Totem has to go in the helm:(

Guess I should start saving for an Anima Stone after all...

^ Top  
  7. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Isn't the obvious answer here spark, since it's going to randomly bounce around anyways so you don't give a fuck about the nova?

^ Top  
  8. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion

Could always give something like this a shot since you've that nice 6L SoS...

^ Top  
  9. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    ^ Top  
  10. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    New info about beta and the end of Legacy League:

Legacy league ends on: 29th May.

Beta starts on: 7th June. (Most likely, may change slightly).

3.0 starts on: Well, somewhere in the middle of July is the current estimate.

There will be events running after the end of Legacy and during the beta, until 3.0 hits.

There is a few ways to get to beta, buying the supporter pack, having spend more than 500$ on PoE in the past, getting a random invite from GGG.

More details here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1897264/page/1

^ Top  
  11. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    How are players selected to enter the Beta?
    For the past two Betas (Closed Beta and The Awakening's Beta), we used a public Beta Key timer on the website that would invite one player per five minutes. While we gained infinite satisfaction from watching reactions from players, it was a little contentious during The Awakening's Beta and and the negative aspects from players being upset outweighed the fun of the trolling.

:decline:

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    After 3 articles about changes to DoT, I am still no closer to knowing if they killed my Detonate Dead build I planned to open 3.0 with or not :(

What they did kill is usefulness of fire penetration support for builds focusing on ignite part instead of initial damage part (any non crit fire build). This means I can replace that with rapid decay support instead if DD Ignite will still be a viable way to make a character.

I will keep a close eye on Poison Cloud for 3.0, seems these changes might make it a good cheap build for 1st character. I liked how Raizqt made his version with using Essence Drain to help with map bosses and other high HP enemies while using Poison Cloud to clear maps fast. Only major change for that combination is that in 3.0 projectile damage will no longer work with enhancing poison you apply with ED but it will still boost Poison Cloud DoT and ES DoT.

^ Top  
  13. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    I got Vaults of Atziri from an Empyrean Apparatus this morning (thanks Zana!), so if anyone needs that map ticked off, let's arrange a time to hit that.

My two other maps were Oba's Cursed Trove and Whakawairua Tuahu.

EDIT: Oba's seems way too dangerous for me to complete so I'll guild stash it. Good luck

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    ^ Top  
  14. SirSingAlot Savant

SirSingAlot
    i will put some unique maps into the guild stash, so if some of you need it for atlas completion or funzies, grab it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    I'm raising funds for an Anima stone, selling a 28% Signal Fire (uncorrupted). Poe.trade price is around 65 chaos, if anyone in the guild wants it I will trade for 50 chaos.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Signal Fire is that expensive? Last league they were around 5c if I remember correctly.

^ Top  
  17. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    Did Christmas come twice this year?
    [​IMG]

... and Hanukah too? Best Empyrean Apparatus ever, seriously.
    [​IMG]

lala Angelica! ...Eliza! ...and Peggy! The Schuylar sisters! lala
    [​IMG]

Now witness the firepower of this (almost) fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!
    [​IMG]

I guess it's the new Drillneck. 35% Signal Fires are being priced at 200 c (plus conversion to fire, compared to Drillnerfed's 50% more damage at 100% pierce)

It's basically a lottery ticket. Quivers have 9 possible vaal implicits so there's a 1/27 chance that when you corrupt it, it can hit the jackpot and get +1 additional arrow.

A corrupt Signal Fire with +1 additional arrow sells for 28+ ex on poe.trade

A corrupt Signal Fire with no modification sells for 20 c

So basically an uncorrupted Signal Fire sells for 60 c since, once corrupted, the chances are:
    9/27 - F### turn into a useless rare quiver (33% chance) < 1 alt
    12/27 - BRICK no change to implicit/ bad vaal implicit (40% chance) 20 c
    5/27 - mediocre implicit (23% chance) 1 ex
    1/27 - jackpot (4% chance update: Reddit says the chance is 2.97% for some reason) 28-30 ex

And a +1 arrow 35% Signal Fire's price is astronomical.

So basically uncorrupted Signal Fires are for bowyers who are willing to pay 40 c extra for 3% chance to upgrade to a +1 arrow Signal Fire, and ~ 23% chance of a small profit consolation prize.

I would corrupt mine but Vaal Orbs hate me.

UPDATE: Actually after some research, if I understand correctly, a Signal Fire with ilevel < 50 has a 5% chance of getting +1 arrow (since this is a ilvl 1 mod). So the chances then would be:
    5/20 - F#### 25%
    13/20 - BRICK 65%
    1/20 - 1 ex 5%
    1/ 20 - 28-30 ex 5%

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    ^ Top  
  18. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Those fuckers moved the end of the leagues further away!
    Now, instead of getting my shiny new toys for my Standard boys in 2 weeks, I'll have to wait forever!
    :argh:

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    If you have 100ex and a mirror, you can get one of these

[​IMG]

986 ES with 48/48 res and onslaught, but 1000 life on koam's heart (with no sockets and a bit of fire damage) was too strong. BALANCE.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. SirSingAlot Savant

SirSingAlot
    thats a sick one

^ Top  
  21. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Uh, I'm not really into uber-rich shenanigans. I'm more of a moderate 100-200ex per league type of hardcore player.
    Besides that, there's no telling what will happen to ES/CI in 3.0.0, so splurging 200ex on something that can rapidly depreciate in actual value (as in usefulness) is a no-no.
    Finally, it's a super-gimmicky armour. It's so easy to get onslaught these days that it's kinda pointless.

^ Top  
  22. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    Maybe they'll even make life builds viable!

I swear I spend more time fiddling about with ideas for builds than actually playing this game. I did spend a bit of time playing with blast totem build dude, but while all the explosions were cool, I found the actual playstyle to be horribly boring.

Currently playing around with the idea of blade flurry + cast on channel lacerate with dual dreamfeathers, queen of the forest, then getting a crapton of evasion. Run around like a loon then spam out attacks when needed. Shadow seems nice for that +500 evasion spot, but then again maybe good ol' pathfinder would be better for making jade flask even more powerful, though I barely use anything from that tree.

^ Top  
  23. Veelq Savant

Veelq
    and what spell do you want to cast with it?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    Oh shit, it has to be a spell doesn't it, I thought it just had to be a skill gem. DAMNIT GAME STOP RUINING MY FUN. Maybe bladefall or ethereal knives then, though I'd have to recheck what kind of damage boosts my passive skills give since they're neither melee nor attacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    Bladefall is doing like 20X more damage for me than I expect it to. Not sure if I would cwc or self cast. With cwc you get leeching, fortify support and ignore mana cost... and also cwc itself provides a damage bonus.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)