Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
The links I'd probably go with: blade flurry + CWC + bladefall + increased critical strikes (if you're serious about going crit and assassin, it helps a ton) + added chaos damage (boosts both skills) + increased aoe (you'll need it for good feelz; swap with concentrated effect vs bosses). It's not much in term of damage multipliers, so it kinda sucks this way.
Life leech is an option, but you'll be giving up the deeps for it...
Added fire is an option, too, but it doesn't do much in terms of overall synergy.
I strongly suggest using eye of chayula ammy - every channeling build (and doubly so fo CWC) requires complete stun immunity to work well.
This is because CWC doesn't trigger instantly - you will have to wait until your first channeling animation finishes + wait for the CWC timer to elapse before you'll see your first bladefall. If you stop attacking for any reason - that timer resets, and you have to do everything all over again.
It's already annoying as-is (that was the main reason why I dropped my CWC char), but it's also deadly in situations where you can get stunned even for a microsecond.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
need some advice.
i want to play some scrubby life/max block build, gladiator prolly, so you dont have to waste slots for crappy uniques that enable spell block rate.

the Red Nghtmare provides some good block chance if placed in the Diamond Skin area, but i wonder if the 5% fire to chaos damage conversion could be abused by a melee build as well?!
if i run Varunastra, there must be a potent fire attack skill to use, no?
(Molten Strike with Iron Grip keynode?)
i am not sure tbh, maybe the 5% isnt important enough, but it would be sweet to use all jewel mods

T. Reich

Arcane
5% on dreams/nightmares is just a little bit of extra - don't count on it to amount to much unless you play a build that uses that element 100%.
Gladiator's fine - just use The Surrender shield, 3%+ block corruption The Anvil ammy, and stack the remaining block until cap from passives.
EQ/Flurry/Sunder are still the best picks for 1h+shield melee combo due to competent aoe+single-target mix.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I run life/max block build a glad with static strike, Soul Taker as weapon. Which allows me to use 3 auras/buffs (hatred, herald of ash and arctic armor) Lioneye's Remorse for a good amount of block chance and rain bringer for gladitor looks.

Varunastra is a kickass weapon but if you really want fire damage, use Lead Sprinkler with molten strike.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
have legacy BoR, which provides 15% block, Surrender and Red Nightmare, so i can skip some nodes and maybe even the Anvil.
maybe the DPS from a good amu will outweight this as i need clear speed/damage on top of good def.

i bought a Varunastra because the price for good rolled relic Soul Taker is too much for me (price manipulating jerks).

will see if i can hit/get my hands on a nice legacy BoR with uber enchant and play the related attack skill that is good enough and suited

edit:
got a good rolled relic BoR with +3 Molten Strike proj, will try this.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
the price for good rolled relic Soul Taker is too much for me (price manipulating jerks).
...40ex++ for 370+ pdps? Fuck, now I'm really glad I got me one for 13 ex earler on in the league and didn't flip it for 19ex 2 weeks later.

Edit: Wow, talk about "old league economics". Pretty much everything of value went up in price noticeably over the last week.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Okay yeah, at this point I'm officially having more fun planning builds than levelling them up enough to try them. A bit sick of going through those first few acts over and over. I think I'll just wait until 3.0 drops instead.

T. Reich

Arcane
They won't.
For the last month, most people have been waiting for the new shit - the 3.0.0 beta.
"More of the same, keep waiting" is not the answer these people want, and that will not bring them back into PoE.
Look at major PoE streamers, of all things. Most of them are doing anything BUT playing PoE. Which is telling.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I just sold the Signal Fire for 60 c to a Ranger who already had a 35% +1 Signal Fire but wanted to roll another for a friend... he Divined it first (so that's why 35% sells for 200 chaos) but unfortunately it corrupted into 4% chaos resistance:(

In other news, I got my best ever bargain from Cadiro:

2dm8h2o.jpg

If only I could get this rate in bulk...

Now back to autistically refreshing poe.trade for an affordable anima stone to drop.

UPDATE: 240c is absurd for Anima Stone. I picked up Primordial Might for 190c, Primordial Harmony for 17c and Primodial Eminence for 3 alc and made my own Anima Stone. Even the lowest priced offline Anima Stone is 225c, which is absurd when Primordial Might bottoms at 180-190c and Harmony goes for 15-20c.

UPDATE 2: Flipped my Anima Stone for 235c, and immediately picked up a Primordial Might for 180c, Harmony for 16c and Eminence for 1c. I feel like a dirty but happy whore. My witch's inventory is overflowing with chaos.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Does anyone know why exalted are worth so much chaos? Is it because everyone thought the new league was gonna be combined with the standard one like this week? Have they been this high since last league transition?

EDIT: I heard someone say it's cause there's a lot of bots farming dried lake and selling rares to vendor for chaos.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Short version: SC prices genereally approach a 100+:1 ratio at the end of a league since most people slam their gear and/or are using lv8 masters more regularly, thus increasing the exalted value. At the beginning of a league chaos are worth a lot more due to rerolling maps, adding zana mods or simply chaos-spamming gear, while only very few people are actually using exalteds for their intended use. Chaos orb value naturally declines over the course of the league, while exalted orbs gain in value once people get masters to 7/8 and are able to afford slamming their 5affix 700ES vaal regalia, hoping to hybrid. A lot of people are actively doing the chaos-recipe at the start of the league, while less people will be doing so at the end.

That's why chaos:ex ratios are a lot lower in hc in general, because people use chaos orbs more often to reroll shitty mapmods, buy new gear after they ripped their character and simply because there are a lot less people actually doing the chaos recipe even at the start of the league.

T. Reich

Arcane
In temp SC leagues ex:c ratio rarely went above 1:80 until Legacy. Everyone pretty much agrees that the chief reason for that was the 2.6.0 Zana mod rework, where Zana map mods became pretty much useless, while Leaguestones simultaneously provided a much stronger way to manipulate map content.
This, coupled with the fact that chaos-spamming as a way of crafting high-end gear became very unpopular compared to alt-regaling method (see also chaos:alt ratio) also heavily contributed - there are currently no massive chaos sinks in the game.
There's simply not

Everything else (botting, market fixing, player expectations) is pretty much hearsay and outright ignorant bullshit - those are either non-existent, non-factors, and/or not nearly massive enough to affect currency ratios over long term. Actual player ingame behavior is what determines the long-term ratios.

T. Reich

Arcane
People use plenty of currency.
Noobs use plenty of currency as the game intanded - they just don't use it "efficiently", doing stupid stuff with it. But they do use it.
Pros use a LOT of currency because crafting is crazy profitable - but as I wrote above, chaos-spamming is out, because it's too RNG.
Ultra rich jewlords casually use up insane amounts of currency to craft mirror-grade items.

Now, plebs (not noobs anymore, not pros yet) don't use much currency, because they are timid and dumb, and that's fine. They serve the role of farming and delivering orbs for crafting for the pros and jewlords.

Also, you're operating under assumption that (some of) the current orb ratios are "wrong" somehow. They aren't. They don't need "fixing" unless the devs decide that they do.
This is called "market economy", where ratios represent current usage dynamics and change over time. This is not "planned economy", where ratios represent arbitrary exchange ratios.

T. Reich

Arcane
Wow, just finished reading the dev manifesto on future changes to ES meta.

Two personal thoughts on it:
1) Now I'm ok with 3.0.0 delays - they give me some time to buy the future legacy high ES gear.
2) Now I know where I'll be spending my accumulated exalts - on said future legacy high ES gear (buy or craft) + on rolling elreon ES mod on good jewellery.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I was getting 1 vaal : 2 chaos rates on trades yesterday, so yeah, inflation is rapidly killing the exchange value of chaos to other currency.

But the price in chaos of Uniques and other commodities are still holding up. I've only noticed slight inflation for rare Essences for instance (I bought Essence of Insanity for 12-15 c at the start of league, now they are worth 20 c) but it isn't anything abnormal.

If this holds up, I guess I will be able to afford a Shav's after all.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Wow, just finished reading the dev manifesto on future changes to ES meta.

Two personal thoughts on it:
1) Now I'm ok with 3.0.0 delays - they give me some time to buy the future legacy high ES gear.
2) Now I know where I'll be spending my accumulated exalts - on said future legacy high ES gear (buy or craft) + on rolling elreon ES mod on good jewellery.

The changes are going to affect base item ES values so I read it as it will affect legacy gear as well.

As far as the changes go, obviously I agree that the game needs some dramatic overhauling but this does start to feel like too many changes all at once.

T. Reich

Arcane
The changes are going to affect base item ES values so I read it as it will affect legacy gear as well.

Direct quote from the dev manifesto:
"These changes will not apply to already-rolled modifiers, but will apply to existing base types. Rerolling items with an old value will update it to the new values."

As far as the changes go, obviously I agree that the game needs some dramatic overhauling but this does start to feel like too many changes all at once.
It may be for the newer players, but as an old player, I expected nothing less of GGG. Massive meta shake ups used to be the regular norm, and I happily welcome them again. It's been too long.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
with new life rolls on rare chest happening (old life roll plus new hybrid life roll), the difference in total life to a Kaoms is getting smaller.
if other gear gets higher possible life rolls as well, there wont be as many Kaoms as we would foresee now.
also possible that uniques will get new life rolls according to the new base values, no?

also one economy question:

so i wanted to buy some Red Nightmare for flipping after Standard rota.
obv i came late to the party and league price had already risen.
no biggie.
but when i checked for Standard prices, those had tanked during the last days as well, which i found to be very weird, as there will be a huge intake after league ends and i expected standard and league prices to come closer to each other.

this happened before the ES butchery got spoiled, mind you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom