Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
How would you build a Bard/Crusader? It's a class concept that I find interesting.
Uhh.. you wouldn't? Mixing two caster classes is a horrible idea, even if you went Mystic Theurge that would still suck because you'd only get the spells and not the class bonuses from Bard.

Not to mention that you'd have two different casting ability scores, which would be a nightmare.

Also Crusader is just a shit archetype to begin with.

What about a Bard/Fighter or Bard/Paladin?
Bards are best kept pure.

The best thing about Bards are the things that get better the more Bard levels you have. Which, honestly, is mostly Inspire Courage. Everything else is.. not that good.

Bards excel at Knowledge gathering and social activities, two things which tend to be very poorly implemented, if at all, in cRPGs. So you get them mainly for the buffs, and for the Inspire Courage.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If I play ranger, what should be the favored enemies? Humans at least one of them I take it?

Yosharian

Arcane
This is what the dragon looks like with Dragonkind III (it's got a different name in this game):

2Tz5i5h.jpg

And this is the Elder Fire Elemental you can summon. And I just found out you can still cast spells while Polymorphed... wow.

nw279na.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like Superior Summoning and Added Summoning don't work with this spell. Yeah, it seems that these two feats only work when you summon groups of creatures. However, I was able to confirm that these two feats stack! So whenever you summon creatures, you get +2 creatures with these feats.

Oh my god. I just realised that you can cast TRANSFORMATION while shifted into this Dragon form. So that means you get the Base Attack Bonus of a Fighter... holy shit.

bIzybxe.png

Heh.. the aura that the Dragon form has affects your allies in the tutorial... heh heh heh.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
What about the bard archeologist kit? Are those special class bonuses worth it, or are the other kits better (when comparing pure bards)?

Yosharian

Arcane
What about the bard archeologist kit? Are those special class bonuses worth it, or are the other kits better (when comparing pure bards)?
Heroism and Greater Heroism can replace your lost Inspire Courage, so actually, yeah, it's pretty good. The biggest problem is that Archaeologist's Luck just doesn't last long enough. So that's quite bad. You'll run out, and then it's just a weak bard.

That reminds me, Lingering performance. It's pretty much a must for bards (especially Archaeologist) in PnP. How does it work here? Do you need to manually activate / deactivate for 2 rounds / activate / deactivate for 2 rounds and so on to get the most of it? Or did they implement it better somehow?

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How would a Haer'Dalis build look? I assume Magus would be more appropriate? With duelist?

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
How would you build a Bard/Crusader? It's a class concept that I find interesting.
Uhh.. you wouldn't? Mixing two caster classes is a horrible idea, even if you went Mystic Theurge that would still suck because you'd only get the spells and not the class bonuses from Bard.

Not to mention that you'd have two different casting ability scores, which would be a nightmare.

The best thing about Bards are the things that get better the more Bard levels you have. Which, honestly, is mostly Inspire Courage. Everything else is.. not that good.

Bards excel at Knowledge gathering and social activities, two things which tend to be very poorly implemented, if at all, in cRPGs. So you get them mainly for the buffs, and for the Inspire Courage.

A 1 level dip into fighter for tower shield proficiency and a free feat is good IMO. I got that on Linzi at level 9, after she'd picked up good hope and displacement. I plan on ending with bard 19/fighter 1. You don't miss anything good on bard 20.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Should sword saint go with low str and high dex or try get high on both? estoc with finesse could be great.

Yosharian

Arcane

A 1 level dip into fighter for tower shield proficiency and a free feat is good IMO. I got that on Linzi at level 9, after she'd picked up good hope and displacement. I plan on ending with bard 19/fighter 1. You don't miss anything good on bard 20.
It really isn't. Tower Shields are not very good.

It isn't about lacking Bard 20, it's about being one level behind on all your progression.

It's not good, but anything can work I guess.

Yosharian

Arcane
Should sword saint go with low str and high dex or try get high on both? estoc with finesse could be great.
Depends what armour you're going to use.

Oh wait, Sword Saint.

Hmm. Dex is better I think.

Yeah go Dex and try to pick up an Agile Estoc later on.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Heroism and Greater Heroism can replace your lost Inspire Courage, so actually, yeah, it's pretty good. The biggest problem is that Archaeologist's Luck just doesn't last long enough. So that's quite bad. You'll run out, and then it's just a weak bard.
I'm fine with the character not being the strongest in combat, this one would be about getting the most from dialogues. Even with high charisma & persuasion my sorceress failed the checks quite often, so I was thinking about going bard for the evil playthrough.

Is a 20 point in a stat really worth it for any class?
Like why would you ever do +5 when you can go +4 and boost two stats to +3.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm fine with the character not being the strongest in combat, this one would be about getting the most from dialogues. Even with high charisma & persuasion my sorceress failed the checks quite often, so I was thinking about going bard for the evil playthrough.
Oh you'll be pretty strong. Just in short bursts. Someone else mentioned Lingering Performance, I hadn't thought of that feat. If you get that, you might be able to use up your round allowance in one-round bursts, getting 3 rounds out of each burst due to LP. If it works that way. If you use it that way, it's pretty good, it's maybe 24 rounds (4+4=8, 8x3 = 24) per day from level 1 which isn't bad. I mean, it's not particularly good either, but it's certainly better than before.

That's interesting about the Persuasion thing. Did your Sorc have max ranks in Persuasion?

Yosharian

Arcane
Is a 20 point in a stat really worth it for any class?
Like why would you ever do +5 when you can go +4 and boost two stats to +3.
Sometimes, but most of the time not. Depends on the build.

It can work out as an effective +1DC from levels 8-12 and 16-20, which are quite crucial levels.

Ruchy

Scholar
Can I ask your thoughts on the Paladin and the archetypes? They seem so stat heavy and aside from amazing saves I'm not really seeing the positives.

With no armor you need high dex, definitely. But my advice would be to pick up dueling sword instead. You can get the proficiency, focus and finesse right at level 1. At level 3 pick up slashing grace for dex to damage, and then dueling mastery for even more bonuses.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Oh wait, Sword Saint.

Agreed, I think it’s a mistake to try a STR based Sword Saint. I’m playing as a regular DEX based Magus with weapon finesse and fencing grace, which seems to work with spellstrike and spell combat even though I hear that it shouldn’t in the p&p version. Your Magus needs to be able to get up close and personal and a Sword Saint needs to do it without armor. You want that extra AC. For a Sword Saint, strength is a dump stat.

If you play as human, you’ll have enough feats to take slashing or fencing grace from level 3. The only problem in the prologue is that you should really make your chosen weapon an estoc, which means your Sword Saint won’t be able to use the rapier the game gives you. You’ll have to get by using only simple weapons until you can buy an estoc at Oleg’s.

Zero Credibility an estoc is better for a Magus than a dueling sword because it has a larger crit range (18-20 vs 19-20) and your crits apply to touch spells cast via spellstrike. If you take improved criticals down the line it becomes 15-20 as opposed to 17-20 for a dueling sword: estoc makes you a magical damage dealing machine. I think that’s worth the tradeoff of not getting the extra 2 AC from dueling mastery. Although for a sword saint I admit it’s a tougher call. By the time you’d get it at level 5, you’ll have mirror image and your spells will be renewable by tapping your arcane pool.

EDIT: Sword Saint’s chosen weapon counts as weapon focus, so you can take Fencing/Slashing Grace at level 1 with a human’s bonus feat.

Last edited:
Right, forgot about crit range. Well, if he is going with estoc he needs fencing grace then to get dex to damage. He will miss out on dueling mastery, and I think there are more magical dueling swords around than estocs (makes sense, as this is a local weapon). The big problem with sword saint is that they don't get spell recall, and combined with reduced spells that really hurts.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Can one two-hand bonus specific medium-sized weapons, like one can two-hand a Bastard Sword in 3.5?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Oh wait, Sword Saint.

Agreed, I think it’s a mistake to try a STR based Sword Saint. I’m playing as a regular DEX based Magus with weapon finesse and fencing grace, which seems to work with spellstrike and spell combat even though I hear that it shouldn’t in the p&p version. Your Magus needs to be able to get up close and personal and a Sword Saint needs to do it without armor. You want that extra AC. For a Sword Saint, strength is a dump stat.

If you play as human, you’ll have enough feats to take slashing or fencing grace from level 3. The only problem in the prologue is that you should really make your chosen weapon an estoc, which means your Sword Saint won’t be able to use the rapier the game gives you. You’ll have to get by using only simple weapons until you can buy an estoc at Oleg’s.

Zero Credibility an estoc is better for a Magus than a dueling sword because it has a larger crit range (18-20 vs 19-20) and your crits apply to touch spells cast via spellstrike. If you take improved criticals down the line it becomes 15-20 as opposed to 17-20 for a dueling sword: estoc makes you a magical damage dealing machine. I think that’s worth the tradeoff of not getting the extra 2 AC from dueling mastery. Although for a sword saint I admit it’s a tougher call. By the time you’d get it at level 5, you’ll have mirror image and your spells will be renewable by tapping your arcane pool.

You get the chosen weapon by default, same with the clerics and inquisitors with their deities favored weapons. I was thinking 16 int, which is enough to get lvl 6 spells. I can't decide between sword saint, eldritch archer, tactician inquisitor and sacred huntsmaster...with mastodon abviously, my own miniature mammoth would fucking cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom