Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    He should have done one big add-on which continues the story after the main quest. People who already finished the game could have picked it up from there instead of replaying large parts of the game again. Maybe by putting the players stronghold into focus to finally flesh it out (politics, invasion of the country, expedition to the source of the invasion -> undeads of course).

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    Fallout 4 reportedly outsold New Vegas and Fallout 3. Millions of gamers can't be wrong!

• nice nice x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    The weaknesses the Codex can see are not the same ones as a more general public can. Let's not forget that 50ish% of people didn't finish act 1, which is 5ish hours of content, so there's definitely something up before we start talking about gameplay, story and all that jazz. I think Obsidian overextended and overestimated their reach by just looking at the sales, rather than achievement statistics, of the first game. The other 50% who did finish act 1 didn't buy TWM and the sequel en masse, so there's something up with that as well. It doesn't help that Feargus is a retard with no context sensitivity.

This is exactly why I am saying that the different markets are different and is not relevant.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    ^ Top  
  4. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    I thought BG2 development started before BG1s launch. If it was that early why did they give the go ahead considering they were sick of eachother.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Lacrymas People had bugs and stopped playing but never came back after. But yeah, they probably overstretched by promising too much (we've BG1,2 / IWD / Torment and mooaar in one game!).
    Divinity is prove that it isn't restricted to the genre. But yeah Divinity had the advantage by catering to anime/wow/casual gamer/indie people alongside hardcore rpg gamers and storyfags with its artistic style.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I meant they overstretched and overestimated their fanbase with the sequel, especially the stupid, stupid decision to fully voice the game.

^ Top  
  8. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Whose money? im pretty sure obs spent nothing to make them.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    That's why you compare it with D:OS 2

D:OS 2 at release date had close to 80k and it's peak was 93k players online and it's still outpacing PoE 2 right now, which barely had 17k at release date and it's peak is 22k.

Let's look at his older brother, PoE had over 40k players online at release date and it was number 1 on steam for a few days, PoE 2 was for like 5 minutes. It's not hard to understand, people didn't enjoyed the first game and the remaining base doesn't seem to like that PoE 2 was transformed into a more retarded version Pirates of the Carribean.

Game is a mess, it's easy, it has a convoluted and short story, lazy encounter design, boring exploration, small maps and so many other small issues that it made the game less desirable than the first one. Let's hope they bury this franchise and the morons who proped it up

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I'd say sidekicks are the one thing that wasn't a waste of money and they should've made even more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Fully VA doesn't sound appealing to me. Even in PoE1 it was already annoying to stop reading till the VA was ready with its speech (or skipping it away all the time). But regarding costs actually I don't think it was that expensive. The actors all (or most) seem to be fans of the game or rpgs in general. They probably did it at a reduced cost (there's some advertising for them as well by doing the VA). That's my guess at least.

^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    You know you don’t have to work this hard on your Kodex Kred. It’ll come naturally, in time.

Show Spoiler

Or not.

Show Spoiler

Probably not.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    White March messed up literally everything that is possible to mess up on business level.

Too expensive.

Too late after the launch.

Splitting in in two was incredibly dumb - who the fuck will buy "part 1 of the addon"?

Mid-game expansion instead of endgame was also retarded. I couldn't get ANY the friends who liked the first game to play WM . They all have other games to play and didn't want to waste 20 hours starting over just to get to the expansion.

Who knows how much of that is on Feargus and how much on Paradox and their shitty DLC policies. But ultimately it was a gigantic fucking disaster. And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Deadfire season pass has already outsold the White March. Because guess what how much steam reviews White March has? Around 50. Fucking fifty reviews for a 30 hour expansion to a base game that moved a million units.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I am really enjoying the guidebook. Josh knew only the ultimate nerds will read it, so he made no compromises with the style or academic language.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    There was nothing stopping TWM from being post-game content, it would've even strengthened its narrative because you wouldn't have taken a leisurely stroll to another part of the country while being ravaged by insomnia and maddening visions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    No! The truth needs to get out, oh wait, the truth is already reflected by the abysmal sales and poor reception from the veterans and casuals, it seems my job is already done.

^ Top  
  18. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    flawless reasoning

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The White March expansion was likely aimed at the vast majority of players who never finished the game, enticing them to pick it up again and get some new content while they were at it. The question is if people actually do that with this sort of game - pick it up after they've already dropped it.

In a broader sense, that question is also relevant to the sequel. :M

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    You can drop the "likely", JES was quite specific about not wanting to make a post game expansion because of low completion %.

^ Top  
  21. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    Imagine needing to spend this much time waxing nihilistic about CRPGs on an aspie support forum that dares not speak its name. Wtf I don't hate my life now.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    So, post-game expansions have low completion rates, and it turns out mid-game expansions also do, they also seem to lead into disastrous sales for the sequel. Where does that leave us and, more importantly, them and the future of expansions/DLC?

^ Top  
  23. taviow Liturgist

taviow
    With shitty bite sized DLC.

When the fuck did people lose taste for meaningful expansions? No more Throne of Bhaal, Lord of Destruction, etc.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    It didn't have to be post-endgame. It could have easily been standalone expansion, but accessible from the base game should people want that.

^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Seeing where this is headed, the bite-sized DLC won't sell or have high completion rates either.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)