Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #15: Companion Relationships Unlocked, Final Week

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

After getting another big chunk of investment money, the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign reached $3M of funding last night, unlocking the companion relationships system stretch goal. The campaign is now in its final days, and the big question is how much higher it can go. Obsidian don't seem too concerned about that though, because they've taken Presidents Day off, leaving us only with this brief update teasing a "super cool" feature (seriously we know it's a ship guys) and announcing a couple of silly physical rewards:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all our fans, backers, and investors for helping us reach the amazing milestone of $3 million dollars! It's truly amazing that we've hit this point. We're now the campaign with the most backers in Fig history, and it's due to our amazing fans who, like us, want to make Pillars of Eternity II the deepest, most robust, and most engrossing RPG it can possibly be. We're so excited to be able to include companion relationships, which we know are going to make the game even more incredible.

While we have more in the way of stretch goals and -- only a few days left to achieve them! -- we'll save them (and a big announcement about a really important, super cool, and heretofore extremely hush-hush game feature) for our next update, which will be coming very soon. For now, we'll keep it brief and just say thanks.

And by way of saying thanks, we want to announce that we're including two new rewards for several of our backer tiers, both of which feature the unofficial, super cute, pet mascot of Pillars of Eternity, the Space Pig!

Please note, that due to the holiday, it make take a day or so before the item lists on the tiers on the Fig page reflect the additional pin and plushie, but rest assured, if you're at $149 or above you're getting the pin, and if you're at $500 or above you're getting the pin and the plushie!

Thanks again to everyone who's helped us get this far. With your help, let's see how much more we can add to Pillars II before the campaign ends in the next few days!
    Deadfire's funding rate has slowed down quite a bit over the last week, but has been periodically bolstered by these suspiciously well-timed influxes of investment money. The investment cap was increased to $2.25M several days ago due to high demand, so in theory the campaign could have as much as $3.75M guaranteed right now. These last few days will be interesting to watch.

• Participation Award x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    [​IMG]

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Ruzen Learned

Ruzen
    Anyone wanna guess why first game had +77000 backers and this one almost 27000 ?
    :hmmm:

• Funny x 4
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Every time I've looked it seemed to be hovering at a little less than 50%.

They gave away the answer in this update:

^ Top  
  5. One-and-a-half-Ivan Cipher

One-and-a-half-Ivan
    This may be one of the best updates in kick/figstarter history, only second to this one.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Maybe the same reason why Wasteland 2 had 61000 backers, but Wasteland 3 only had 17000? Or because Banner Saga 1 had 20000 but Banner Saga 3 has 6100?

The first wave of kickstarters had the adventage of the kickstarter boom, and also Fig is still less known than Kickstarter. That is the reason my friend. Not some nonsensical reason you seem to be implying.

• butthurt x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It would be semi-interesting trivia to know how much of those Fig investments have been negotiated pre-campaign (or during it).

^ Top  
  8. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    If they are good business man, and Feargus is good, than he negotiated the big invenstments way before the campaign. As he should be. They made this platform for investments, the least they can do is to use its potential.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ruzen Learned

Ruzen
    Implying what?

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    You are not fooling me. This is the Codex. You passive agressively implied that the first game must be shit, and that is the reason of the lower backer number.

• "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Overall declining interest in crowdfunding versus steam sales.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    I read it differently; thought he meant 50k backers less, but over 3 mil funding total in FIG, ergo a good chunk of the money being 'shady' (aka devs throwing in their own money because it's 'free' to) and/or non-player funded and does that tell us tell us anything about its 'soaring' success.
    But whatever he meant, it's good news either way. One more proper RPG getting a seven figure sum before it's even made. One more studio securing its future for a few more years.

Personally, this FIG thing worries me more than KS did, but this is entirely unrelated to your conversation with the other guy :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Apexeon Arcane

Apexeon
    Because all that is left is fan boys.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Turok Erudite

Turok
    Because some people will do what i am doing, i will wait until 2020 when the game is with all de expansions and patches at $9 or less.

I still no finish POE, what's the hurry?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ruzen Learned

Ruzen
    Level up your emotions you paranoid man. It was a fucking question

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    You are the one who is not fooling anyone.

• [​IMG]
      Divinity: Original Sin

Divinity Original Sin is an old-school cRPG with new ideas & modern execution, will release this year. Funded by fantastic backers!

[​IMG]
      by Larian Studios LLC and 19,541 backers

• [​IMG]
      Divinity: Original Sin 2

An epic RPG with turn-based combat, cooperative/competitive multiplayer; sequel to Divinity: Original Sin, GameSpot's PC Game of 2014.

[​IMG]
      by Larian Studios LLC and 42,713 backers

• Brofist x 4
    • meh x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • incline x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Turok Erudite

Turok
    The other day i saw a lot hate against fig on some sites that offer the news of the campaign of POE2, say something about the creator of FIG mr shaft or something, the guy that make monkey adventures games, i don't know the drama, what i know is that some people don't want use FIG.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Yeah, I think they would have raised a lot more money if they hadn't used Fig. But I think Feargus is trying to get in on that sweet KS cash, so campaigns like this are probably just as much about raising Fig's profile as they are for raising money for the game. Maybe even more about Fig, even.

^ Top  
  19. Rev Erudite

Rev
    Yeah, Larian's second KS was more successful than its first, but still it wasn't anywhere near the success of both PoE and T:ToN because those two came out in a time where KS was booming and the only rpgs that came out regularly were BioWare and Bethesda's ones. Larian's managed to do better just because its first campaign didn't exactly raised that many money.
    In the last years we've seen a lot of new rpgs, so the crowd is definetely less thirsty than it was in 2012/13 and that is the reason behind the declining backers, more than a general fatigue toward Kickstarter per se. On the other hand, I think if someone would try a campaign to spark new life in other genres that still aren't getting made (like a spiritual successor to Age of Empires/Mythology) there would be much more interest, compared to the campaign of a (now usual) top down rpg.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I plan to Arrr PoE2 on release (who are we kidding, 1 month later after Bugsidian fixes all critical bugs) and if it is better than PoE1, buy it on Steam Sale when the Ultimate Version is out.

I am not getting fooled again like with PoE1.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    No. The amount of bakers declined due to the quality of the games that were delivered. And Larian example proves it. Now people support/kickstart games of companies that they are going to buy anyway, but getting more bang for buck. It started as something like "I support developers, whose project I like and I want to be part of community" and ended up "I buy at kickstarter/fig because that's how I save money".

This kickstarter fatigue is the shill/tool/retard/imbecile explanation for developers not "getting a read" on the player base and shoving something they are comfortable with. We wanted FO we got WL2 (which is not a tragedy, but exploration based RPG with C&C beats FO: BOS style games with Huge margin), we wanted mature setting we are getting elves/dwarfs etc. Which is not that bad, but it's not what the old school base wants. Some people (including me) thought that supporting what they want will get me/us eventually what we want. That didn't happen.

And there's also the elephant in room: The quality of products being delivered.

Larian has comfortably found it's niche. Coop players who like TB, lack of writing/story, elemental effects and gorgeous graphics. And now they are reaping the dividends.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What dividends? Larian proves Kickstarter fatigue. With the proven track record of a game as good as D:OS, they should have easily gotten $4M for its sequel's Kickstarter. $2M is sad - Harebrained Schemes got more than that for their mech combat game.

Anyway don't look now because PoE2 might just beat them in the next 48 hours

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    ROFL. Larian games are a niche within a niche. No writing, no story, just coop play AND they managed to more than double the amount of backers. Something you have a hard time understanding.
    That's why HBS got more money. BECAUSE it delivered something that market actually wants not what it's board/investors/wifes/loan sharks/Developers etc. want/are comfortable with. Current situation is the barrometer of how players view company's actions.

Do "investors" even get a copy? :roll:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Well, that niche has sold more than any other oldschool CRPG released recently.

I mean without investors.

^ Top  
  25. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    1. How does that contradict anything that I have said? Getting a read on audience.
    2. What exactly is it beating then?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)