Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by nikolokolus, Oct 19, 2016.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Solon looks over his shoulder at Rhenmyr, rubs his wrists and scowls. He mumbles something under his breath (Make a difficult (half-skill) listen roll everybody) and pauses for several moments before weaving his arms in an intricate pattern and utters several short syllables of gibberish (Language roll Acadian, if anybody wants to try and suss it out).

    Seconds later he stops muttering his spell and holds his arms stiff at his sides and bends down to look at the runic circle on the bridge and then lifts his eyes and peers into the fog and stares for over a minute. Finally he turns his ample girth around. Some of you are startled by his eyes that glow an eldritch yellow. "It's just as I predicted." Solon says with an air of self-satisfaction. "The way is open and . . ." He stops short and starts counting off on his fingers and mumbling to himself, "I believe the time dilation caused by Phobos' apogee gives us at least a fortnight -- insofar as time can be reckoned in the Lands Beyond the Fields We Know -- to hunt down Moledold, recover the phial and the Al-Hakim grimoire before the way will close behind us. Unfortunately for the good folk of Getae, the wards laid down by the Aes Sidhe in elder times are utterly devoid of their efficacy while the conjunction holds sway. Hopefully their ancient enemies don't sniff it out, but what a sight to behold if they do!" His expression is awestruck and wistful, but he recovers his composure after a few moments and shakes himself back to the present. "Lead on good sirs. My only recommendation is be careful of whatever viands or comestibles you encounter -- take nothing unless you must. Stories might just be stories, but you never know."
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,153
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    ^ Top  
  3. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,098
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    Show Spoiler
    Sorry stopped getting the notifications for the thread, may I roll to see if I learned any spells please?

    Mab strains to listen to Solon's mumbling and then responds to Solon's recommendation and time statement: "Well Solon, not to offend-- oh hells, I don't give a damn about offending one such as yourself--I'll take your recommendations with a grain of salt.
    Show Spoiler
     
    ^ Top  
  4. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Int roll (open)
    Yop. Go ahead and make an INTx1 roll
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,098
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Listen roll : [1d100] = 74 vs 50
    Borric cannot hear the fat man over the sounds of his ears straining.

    "Lead on, you say? After you, rather." Says Borric as he shoves Solon ahead.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Amon walks up beside Urash and speaks quietly to him. "We do not know exactly what we will face. The magic that Solon transcribed for us makes me wonder if he has a potential ally on the other side. Or a former ally turned enemy? We may be walking into a trap and should proceed cautiously."
     
    ^ Top  
  8. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Urash nods. "Indeed, we are on stepping into a realm of untold possibilities... and dangers. Let us keep our eyes open."
     
    ^ Top  
  9. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    With Borric's less than gentle shove, Solon lets out a high-pitched *squeak* of surprise and moves surprisingly nimbly for a fat old man. He picks up the hem of his robe and jogs on the tips of his toes for about 20 yards and starts to vanish into the thick fog enveloping the bridge.

    One by one you each follow after him blindly into the thick fog. After a couple of minutes, you come to the opposite end of the bridge. Ten steps off of it, the fog bank completely dissipates revealing a strange sight. When you look behind you, the fog forms an undulating, amorphous "wall" about thirty feet tall, that stretches off for as far as the eye can see in either direction (ostensibly where the river runs). But it's the other things you notice that bewilder and confuse you: The wood full of blackened and dead trees that blanketed the land to the north of the bridge, are gone. In their place are a panoply of, soaring yews, gnarled oaks, and hoary elms of staggering size. The land north of you is choked thick with trees and dense understory, giving an overwhelming sensation of age and an unsettling feeling that your presence has been marked and you are not welcome here. The trees aren't the only thing that disquiets you. Somewhat distressingly, the sunless, cloudless sky radiates a dim luminescence that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere all at once -- shifting from muted shades of green to bruised purples one moment to the next.

    [​IMG]

    Leading away from the fog-shrouded bridge, is a well-worn track that enters the eaves of the forest and disappears around the bole of a particularly large oak tree in the gloom. A dozen yards away from the bridge, you see a sign-post, leaning drunkenly. Two arrows point in opposite directions. One arrow points into the preternaturally dark woods and another points toward the bridge. A thin, spidery script that reminds you of High Hyperborean is written on each arrow.

    Solon continues to try and catch his breath, and looks around wide-eyed. "Hmmm . . . smells funny." He glances at the sky and squints confusedly, before turning his head and peering into the darkened forest path and frowning.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hairs on his neck bristling, Borric readies his maul for any hostile beings.
    "Bard, that sword of yours, how feels it here?" He asks, gesturing at Marcan's falcata.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Siveon Bot Patron

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,068
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Marcán reaches for his sword, getting a feel for it. He keeps it out, unsheathed. "Same as always, Borric. Ready for anything."
     
    ^ Top  
  12. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    ^ Top  
  13. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Urash recognizes some of the figures, but the words they form are unintelligible.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Show Spoiler
    Is the signpost fixed in place, or has its installation been tampered with in any way?
     
    ^ Top  
  15. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Show Spoiler
    Make an Idea roll (INTx5)
     
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Show Spoiler
    I rolled 54 vs 70. I don't have my char sheet at hand, so I'm assigning the target number from memory.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Show Spoiler
    Yup, 70 is your target number. please post the link to your roll when you get a chance plox

    Borric walks over to the sign and looks it up and down. The post is bent and dinged about three feet off of the ground. At some point something clearly collided with it, but when, what, whom, or why is anybody's guess.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    What are your characters doing? The bridge lays behind you, obscured by the line of billowing fog, a fringe of turf extends East and West at the edge of the dark forest, and a dimly lit track disappears into the woods to the north?

    The sky makes you think it's dusk or dawn, but after a half an hour of loitering the quality of the light hasn't changed a bit. There is a preternatural hush around you -- no animals in sight, no frogs croaking, no crickets chirping, just an occasional rustle of leaves as the wind blows.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,098
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    Mab turns to the group "I suggest we take the road, at least that way we'll see any nastiness ahead of time."
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,153
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Rhenmyr looks about for tracks and examines the trees.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    "I can move ahead and scout for anything we might want to avoid?"

    Show Spoiler
    FFS- Future hide and move quietly rolls. Both failed but Amon thinks he is being super sneaky.

    Hide=[1d100] = 83 vs 68

    Move Quietly=[1d100] = 96 vs 68

     
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    ^ Top  
  22. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Urash nods at Mab's suggestion of sticking to the road, and further expresses his agreement with Amon's proposal.

    "Yes, yes, an excellent idea, friend..."

     
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Borric halts Amon from his scouting jaunt, "Perhaps I shall go in front, Stoneturned, while you and our other friends move in close formation? It is better we stay in sight and reach of each other in this fey land, than one of us stray too far ahead and separate from the group."
     
    ^ Top  
  24. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Grimgravy Make a "sense" roll, or alternatively a difficult "search" roll.

    Before Amon gets too far ahead (crunching loudly on dead twigs and leaves and the bulk of his broad-cloak snagging underbrush, and whipping small saplings in his wake) Borric holds him up with his request. Meanwhile, Rhenmyr carefully examines the crowns and boles of the trees.
     
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)