Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #38: Meet the Devs - Mark Bremerkamp

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

Today we have another filler update installment in Project Eternity's "Meet the Developers" series. Now with 90% less forced humor! Meet Mark Bremerkamp, lead animator. He doesn't talk much.

Q: Hello, Mr. Bremerkamp! What is your job on the Project Eternity team?

A:​
    Lead Animator​

Q: What are you working on this week?

Initial attacks for the light spear (1h thrust) and the pike (2h thrust)​

Q: What is your typical work day like on Project Eternity?

First drink coffee then check my e-mail and look to see if there are any meetings that I need to prepare for. Then I usually look over the work from the day before. I like to always go back with a fresh set of eyes to see what worked and then I'll make some notes/changes. After all that I get to animating the fixes or I'll move onto a new animation.​

Q: What are you most looking forward to on Project Eternity? What are you looking forward to animating?

That’s an easy one...Creatures. It's always fun to animate strange and creepy critters.​

Q: What other games have you worked on?

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, and New Vegas DLCs.​

If you'd like to know more about Mark's favorite food, drinks, games and inspirations, you can read the entire thing here.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    I wonder if he's the one responsible for the quality facial animations in BL and AP. If he is, it's sad that he won't get to do similar work here again.

^ Top  
  3. Ogg Prophet Patron

Ogg
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Am I the only one who's slightly aroused?​

^ Top  
  4. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Yeah, P:E could benefit from BL style talking heads in dialogs. They should have set that as a stretch goal and raised more 500K.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Harold Arcane

Harold
    I don't know about AP, but he was the lead animator on Bloodlines so... yeah, dude knows his shit.

^ Top  
  6. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Bloodlines's quality facial animations is more the result of Valve's quality tools than an actual person: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Faceposer

Most games use FaceFX which is merely decent and requires a lot more work to get something really good.

^ Top  
  7. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Well, facial animations HL2 were overrated crap while Bloodlines was brilliant. Dude certainly knew his shit.

^ Top  
  8. bussinrounds Savant

bussinrounds
    Fuck yea. ToT was my favorite Intellivision game. That and Tower of Doom.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  9. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I'd say that's because their cartoonier look allowed them to get really expressive. Bloodlines's over-the-top expressions would produce an uncanny valley-like effect on HL2's character models.

^ Top  
  10. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    ^ Top  
  11. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    by thursting spears?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ogg Prophet Patron

Ogg
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    obviously

^ Top  
  13. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    so... ?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    You're showing me black and telling me it's white so I dunno what to say. There's this: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/File:D1_eli_010008.jpg
    And then there's this:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    RTwP

^ Top  
  16. EG Nullified

EG
    :what:

^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    [​IMG]

OMG CARTOONY FACE LOLOL

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    No, I've played Bloodlines many times, and while the facial animations are generally quite good, at times when you're talking to someone, their expression gets locked into some sort of shit-eating grin that looks kinda creepy. I played Half-Life 2 a long time ago, so I can't really remember enough to compare, but Roguey isn't off on this one.

^ Top  
  19. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    Sounds intense

^ Top  
  20. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    Good grief, just give us game updates or dont post at all...

^ Top  
  21. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Well, exactly. That sounds like a bug. Not that different from a retarded freeze-frame. I don't see how this characterizes the animation as cartoony.

^ Top  
  22. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    This girl is supposed to look insane/retarded. She's a ghoul at the Confession night club.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/vampirebloodlines/walkthrough/images/screenshot38.jpg

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    ^ Top  
  24. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    yeah, I clearly remember that many of the facial expressions were quite off in bloodlines.

^ Top  
  25. The Bishop Arbiter

The Bishop
    They weren't "off" and that's not the point Rogey is making. They were exaggerated. Just like theatrical actors can often speak in unnaturally loud voice or gesticulate intensely, this is just a way of enhancing expressiveness of an otherwise insufficiently expressive artistic tool.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)