Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions for Chris Avellone radio interview - now updated with additional answers from MCA!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since he will not able to talk about leaving Obsidian I would try to focus on what I an really interested; what are his plans now? Is he going full time freelance, what projects besides RPGs would he be interested in working for, what does he think of the current cult of personality where a guy like Iga can make millions out of name recognition and some nostalgia, would he like to do a Fallout 4 related project be it as freelance or even a mod, would he be interested in helping Beamdog if they did a PST Enchanced and finaly how has his experience been working with InXile in the current Torment project?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Also:

Ask him for at least one juicy detail of him suddenly leaving Obsidian.

If he's unwilling to go into details, at least ask him if his decision to quit was really as sudden as it looked, or if he'd been meaning to do it for a long time (and if so, why?).

Please don't do this. He's not going to tell us anything, he likely signed an NDA, and he might just be unwilling to talk about it. It was only a month or two ago.

Why wouldn't you ask this? What are you afraid of? It's a valid question. He just quit Obsidian out of the blue and shocked a lot of people and is probably one of the first things anyone with a brain would ask.

Is this some politically correct thing about 'feelings' that modern children have?

He doesn't have to say anything, could deflect or might even answer it? You won't know unless you fucking ask. It's an interview and if I were him I'd be expecting to get that question for a long time. I don't get it.

Because it's a waste of a fucking question you idiot. Might as well just ask him to read your fanfiction and help you turn it into a novel. If you genuinely honestly expect someone like Avellone to air dirty laundry like that in an interview then you're fucked in head.

Idiot? It's a fucking interview. Interviewer asks Interviewee questions. How do you know there's 'dirty laundry'? Maybe it was just time to move on, people get bored with the same job after many years. Of course, we'll never know because some people think it's taboo to ask work related questions?

Just ask him the question. Don't listen to these fucking emotional children. He already has a stock answer ready for the question and I want to hear it.

Dipshit here can put his hands over his ears when the question gets asked so it doesn't muddle his brain anymore than it already is.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Also:

Ask him for at least one juicy detail of him suddenly leaving Obsidian.

If he's unwilling to go into details, at least ask him if his decision to quit was really as sudden as it looked, or if he'd been meaning to do it for a long time (and if so, why?).

Please don't do this. He's not going to tell us anything, he likely signed an NDA, and he might just be unwilling to talk about it. It was only a month or two ago.

Why wouldn't you ask this? What are you afraid of? It's a valid question. He just quit Obsidian out of the blue and shocked a lot of people and is probably one of the first things anyone with a brain would ask.

Is this some politically correct thing about 'feelings' that modern children have?

He doesn't have to say anything, could deflect or might even answer it? You won't know unless you fucking ask. It's an interview and if I were him I'd be expecting to get that question for a long time. I don't get it.

Because it's a waste of a fucking question you idiot. Might as well just ask him to read your fanfiction and help you turn it into a novel. If you genuinely honestly expect someone like Avellone to air dirty laundry like that in an interview then you're fucked in head.
"This is what Game Journos actually believe."

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
B-but what if he doesn't talk to us anymore, Ninjerk?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
MCA, do you like KFC?
Crispy or Original?
Which part of the chicken you like most?
What kind of sauce do you like to eat it with?

sstacks

Arcane
So evidently I need to change my format to a hard-hitting 20/20 style investigative journalist and the first of my new shows will be "Shane kicks Chris Avellone IN THE BALLS!!!"

:flamesaw:

But seriously, thanks for all the questions and comments. I will do my best to work some in... if I tried to get them all it would be a 3 hour show and I have maybe 30 minutes with him :)

The show will kick off live in about an hour (around 1:05 PM Central) , you can listen any of these ways if you want:

Little Rock: 96.5FM The Answer
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn app & iHeartRadio app (look for 96.5 FM The Answer in Little Rock on those apps)

It'll also go out as a podcast in the next day or two.

Shane

Ninjerk

Arcane
So evidently I need to change my format to a hard-hitting 20/20 style investigative journalist and the first of my new shows will be "Shane kicks Chris Avellone IN THE BALLS!!!"

:flamesaw:

But seriously, thanks for all the questions and comments. I will do my best to work some in... if I tried to get them all it would be a 3 hour show and I have maybe 30 minutes with him :)

The show will kick off live in about an hour (around 1:05 PM Central) , you can listen any of these ways if you want:

Little Rock: 96.5FM The Answer
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn app & iHeartRadio app (look for 96.5 FM The Answer in Little Rock on those apps)

It'll also go out as a podcast in the next day or two.

Shane
Don't mind our internal Obsidian-related politics. Some people around here think everyone in Irvine should be treated with kid gloves.

I'm sure your interview will be great and I look forward to listening.

Ninjerk

Arcane
"hivemind informed me he was going to kill me if I left that game out of the ones I asked about [Alpha Protocol, I think]"

Ninjerk

Arcane
MCA admits it's his fault that the game opens as slowly as it (supposedly) does.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
"You are a game developer but you love games!"

It is so sad that this needs to be said :prosper:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Didn't understand the name, but an RPGCodex question was asked, "What game do you wish you had been involved in the making of?"

A: Alan Wake, Amnesia games, Shadowrun "was great"

Seems he got to work on the games he wanted to (e.g. FTL).

HBS has not approached MCA about writing for their Shadowrun series, but he said he'd love to do it. Praised Jordan Weisman(sic?).

Ninjerk

Arcane
Neanderthal "Is Annah one of Ravel's daughters?"

A: No she is not. "I saw Ravel as being more night-haggy. Annah has demonic origins."

Also Q: If Beamdog does an EE for Torment, will you be interested in working on it (paraphrasing).

A: MCA said there is some cut content he would like to restore and knows exactly where the files are stashed (lol).

Rivmusique Q: Who was Mira's true father?

A: MCA refused to answer that question categorically.

Ludo Lense Q: Narrative cliche you consider a guilty pleasure?

A: Amnesia. "Got it out of my system with Torment and KotOR 2." Goes on to explain that KotOR 2 is not really amnesia--the player character just chooses not to reveal everything they know.

Immortal "Be the interviewer Chris needs, not the interviewer Chris wants."

Crazed Weevil Q: Can I play with madness?

A:.............yes.

sstacks Nothing about leaving Obsidian :argh:

darthaegis

Cipher
Shane: "Can I play with madness?"
MCA: "...yes."
I didn't get that one.
(edit: ninja'd by ninjerk)

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I'm glad he didn't ask about leaving Obsidian. It is very unprofessional. Its like asking a divorcee "Hey so who was screwing around the other's back?". This is an industry not the Jerry Springer show. If Chris Avellone or Obsidian had something to say on the subject they would have said it.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm glad he didn't ask about leaving Obsidian. It is very unprofessional. Its like asking a divorcee "Hey so who was screwing around the other's back?". This is an industry not the Jerry Springer show. If Chris Avellone or Obsidian had something to say on the subject they would have said it.
It's their silence that's telling.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
It's their silence that's telling.

Everyone said their parting words on twitter. From a business perspective that is enough. History will tells us down the line if there is something more to this story. Anyone expecting/demanding the "juicy" details has probably never worked in a corporate environment of any kind. How a situation regarding firing/resigning pans out reflects heavily on both sides. Melodrama is NEVER good.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Neanderthal "Is Annah one of Ravel's daughters?"

A: No she is not. "I saw Ravel as being more night-haggy. Annah has demonic origins."

Also Q: If Beamdog does an EE for Torment, will you be interested in working on it (paraphrasing).

A: MCA said there is some cut content he would like to restore and knows exactly where the files are stashed (lol).

Rivmusique Q: Who was Mira's true father?

A: MCA refused to answer that question categorically.

Ludo Lense Q: Narrative cliche you consider a guilty pleasure?

A: Amnesia. "Got it out of my system with Torment and KotOR 2." Goes on to explain that KotOR 2 is not really amnesia--the player character just chooses not to reveal everything they know.

Immortal "Be the interviewer Chris needs, not the interviewer Chris wants."

Crazed Weevil Q: Can I play with madness?

A:.............yes.

sstacks Nothing about leaving Obsidian :argh:

Wait you actually said that? Well that's cringe inducing.. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom