Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rape. (new image at official FO3 site)

OverrideB1

Scholar
Shoelip said:
What the heck is a "codexer" anyway?
Somebody who is passionate (often to the point of irrationality) about real role-playing games. Not the pseudo-RPG crap that passes for role-playing now whereby you can slap "RPG" on the box and lo, it's a fucking RPG because the software company says it's so -- but real RPGs. Y'know, the stuff where character development, storyline, actions having consequences, and all the rest of that happy stuff actually matters. The stuff that software companies have either forgotten how to, or can't be arsed to, include in their latest oeuvres.

Balor

Arcane
That's not Fallout.

That's "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Washington".
And music sounds like it was ripped off from Baldur's Gate.
Not bad by itself, but, again, it's not Fallout.

Lumpy

Arcane
Kingston said:
sportforredneck said:
If they removed the Washington Monument, then it would be better.

BUT TEH PENIS IS WHAT TEH GAEM IS ALL ABOOT.
I AM LEET SARCASTIC EVEN IF I AM NOT REALLY SATIRIZING ANYTHING ACTUALY LOLOLOL.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That picture looks great, but sadly, the concept art isn't gonna make a good game.

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
JarlFrank said:
And why the fuck is the ground so green, it looks like there's grass growing. It's a fucking wasteland goddammit, not a botanic garden!!!

There wouldn't be much of a game to play if the entire fucking world had starved because you couldn't grow anything.

Shoelip

Arbiter
OverrideB1 said:
Shoelip said:
What the heck is a "codexer" anyway?
Somebody who is passionate (often to the point of irrationality) about real role-playing games. Not the pseudo-RPG crap that passes for role-playing now whereby you can slap "RPG" on the box and lo, it's a fucking RPG because the software company says it's so -- but real RPGs. Y'know, the stuff where character development, storyline, actions having consequences, and all the rest of that happy stuff actually matters. The stuff that software companies have either forgotten how to, or can't be arsed to, include in their latest oeuvres.

Meh, in my opinion you can't have a real RPG without a GM. That's why we have terms like CRPG and JRPG and whatnot. That's not to say that any of the CRPGs coming out these days have matched, much less surpassed, the games of the 90s.

Crazy_Vasey said:
JarlFrank said:
And why the fuck is the ground so green, it looks like there's grass growing. It's a fucking wasteland goddammit, not a botanic garden!!!

There wouldn't be much of a game to play if the entire fucking world had starved because you couldn't grow anything.

Hm, I think a better critisism of this post would be; "What are you talking about? I don't see any grass, just lots of black and brown patches."

Listening to that again song I gotta say: Damn I wish this wasn't supposed to be a Fallout game!

Hory

Erudite
Shoelip said:
Aside from the fact that the pic doesn't say Fallout at all, I repeat: The capital building wasn't important enough to target?
Just for the sake of argument: a military target nearby would be more important, and the blast would reach the capital building as well, damaging it beyond use. Making a second attack specifically for it would be a waste of resources. Or maybe they don't like the psychological consequences of intentionally obliterating american symbols.

Dark Elf

Erudite
The Capitol is left standing because it makes Washington DC instantly recognizable. I suppose this overrides any scientific considerations.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cimmerian Nights said:
That and it will be used as the new Temple of Trials. Joy!

Who do you think will lead us through the starting dungeon this time? Last time it was Picard, now maybe Gandalf or Obi Wan?

Seriously, I bet there will be some kind of stupid beginning dungeon again, which will be one of the few places where the story is actually halfway interesting, just like in Oblivion.
It will be worse than the temple of trials, because you will have to click yourself through all the monolouge of whatever idiot will introduce you.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well it was sort of supposed to imply that the character's in the game were fed up with it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"about real role-playing games."

Yeah, because games like the GB series, M&M, and Wizardry were all about the 'real role-playing'.

R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Volourn said:

Yeah, because games like the GB series, M&M, and Wizardry were all about the 'real role-playing'.

R00fles!

Yeah, because most Codexers have Planescape, Arcanum and Fallout as their favourite games.
And don't forget Bloodlines and Baldur's Gate, and other RPGs with a lot of R in them.

Oh, and to the Gold Box and Wizardry games not having real role playing... they are still more RPG than most of the modern crap like Oblivion. Why? Because they founded the PCRPG genre. The first CRPGs were simple dungeon romps. So, obviously, dungeon romp Wiz/M&M/GB style = true RPG.

I win, you lose, Volourn. Accept it.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Volourn said:

R00fles!

Yeah, because most Codexers have Planescape, Arcanum and Fallout as their favourite games.
And don't forget Bloodlines and Baldur's Gate, and other RPGs with a lot of R in them.

Oh, and to the Gold Box and Wizardry games not having real role playing... they are still more RPG than most of the modern crap like Oblivion. Why? Because they founded the PCRPG genre. The first CRPGs were simple dungeon romps. So, obviously, dungeon romp Wiz/M&M/GB style = true RPG.

They didn't found the RPG genre. To be a real PC RPG, a game would have to have the main characteristics of PnP.
Which, afaik, are much more than dungeon romps.
Besides, Oblivion is full of dungeons, that were even praised by VD? It still sucks as an RPG though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:
Volourn said:

R00fles!

They didn't found the RPG genre. To be a real PC RPG, a game would have to have the main characteristics of PnP.
Besides, Oblivion is full of dungeons, that were even praised by VD? It still sucks as an RPG though.

They didn't found the RPG genre, but they did found the Computer RPG genre. They were the first RPGs to be made for PCs, so they founded the genre of the PC RPG.

And Oblivion was not alike those old dungeon romps which usually had turn based combat and often party based one. And they were hard. Like, really hard. Like, Wizardry 4 for example. Also, RPGs have evolved over time. Still, we cannot deny that those ancient gems have founded the genre, and thus are to be regarded as real RPGs. What nowadays is considered an RPG might be different, but these were the CRPGs of that time.

Shoelip

Arbiter
That's an interesting point Oblivoin came out in 2006 and those games came out in the late 80s or early 90s. You'ed expect things to progress wouldn't you.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
They didn't found the RPG genre, but they did found the Computer RPG genre. They were the first RPGs to be made for PCs, so they founded the genre of the PC RPG.

And Oblivion was not alike those old dungeon romps which usually had turn based combat and often party based one. And they were hard. Like, really hard. Like, Wizardry 4 for example. Also, RPGs have evolved over time. Still, we cannot deny that those ancient gems have founded the genre, and thus are to be regarded as real RPGs. What nowadays is considered an RPG might be different, but these were the CRPGs of that time.
So if the first computer football games would have been sidescrollers where you have to kick as many balls as you can to win, that would have become the standard of computer football games. Right?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:

So if the first computer football games would have been sidescrollers where you have to kick as many balls as you can to win, that would have become the standard of computer football games. Right?

No, but they could be considered as *real* football games because they founded the genre.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Lumpy said:
Well, the founder of PnP RPGs, Dungeons and Dragons, was exactly a dungeon romp. (I played it and I still have the rulebook, so I'm 100% sure.)

Nutcracker

Scholar
Hory said:
Shoelip said:
Aside from the fact that the pic doesn't say Fallout at all, I repeat: The capital building wasn't important enough to target?
Just for the sake of argument: a military target nearby would be more important, and the blast would reach the capital building as well, damaging it beyond use. Making a second attack specifically for it would be a waste of resources. Or maybe they don't like the psychological consequences of intentionally obliterating american symbols.

Considering how many thousands of nukes the Russkies/Chinese have, there's no reason why they'd have to economise on targetting. They could afford to drop a dozen on DC.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Except if DC is no longer the capital - which is quite likely in a debased American Empire.

I like that idea. The actual physical symbols of the Constitution are abandoned... whitey upper-class congressmen run off to some bunker in Idaho and the negroes are left to rot in their overcrowded city. Then all of a sudden WW3 sparks up, the politicos and Idaho are obliterated (except the President who escapes to an oil rig off California) while poor, run-down DC is spared the bombs. Surrounding Maryland and Virginia are vitrified, the few inbred survivors spawn ghastly cracker-mutants. One hundred years later some dude (you) comes along, restores DC, unites the people, infiltrates the mutants' HQ in Rockville, Maryland, and exterminates the mutant commander (an even more retarded-looking descendant of Pete Hines).

If Beth has any sense they'll hire me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom