Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review of first NWN 2 modules

Rina

Scholar
Keep up good work aboyd. I find this thread quite useful. :)

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Baphomet said:
Heh, I'm sure it will be *very* brutal. If I ever do complete a module, I'd be interested in that brutal critique. I think it could make me a better game designer. The NWN community is too nice, and the ratings are really more of a 6-10 scale instead of a 1-10 scale.

That's a huge understatement. The overwhelming majority of the stuff there is total crap. Even most of the stuff in the Hall of Fame sucks ass.

aboyd

Liturgist
doctor_kaz said:
Baphomet said:
Heh, I'm sure it will be *very* brutal. If I ever do complete a module, I'd be interested in that brutal critique. I think it could make me a better game designer. The NWN community is too nice, and the ratings are really more of a 6-10 scale instead of a 1-10 scale.

That's a huge understatement. The overwhelming majority of the stuff there is total crap. Even most of the stuff in the Hall of Fame sucks ass.
To be fair, that's the same issue that judges have when seeing the first athlete -- you just don't know how well the first things you see will hold up. I suspect that none of the modules that made Hall of Fame in the first year could hold up to the Hall of Fame for 2006. People vote relative to what they know.

But you're also right that there are some people who award 10s for general competence, which is stupid. There are some votes of 10 for NWN 2 modules already, which is ridiculous. None of the modules are that good. It seems some people think "no bugs" equals "perfect."

On another topic, all the ToEE fans out there might like to know that Temple of Elemental Evil was just released as a module for NWN 2. I won't be reviewing it for a long time. It appears to be unfinished. Also, the developer appears to be recreating the pen & paper version, not the Troika version. So I'd expect it to be even more hack & slash. Elmo is in a working state, so that's a good start.

Nael

Arcane
I'm really enjoying Grim's Tavern 2 (www.grims2.com) at the moment. It's a PW with alot of promise. Most of the community is interesting and tend to roleplay appropriately. Desaria's also a decent one, although a tad too bloated and overly laggy for my tastes. All in all the world building I'm seeing is very well done, but the glitchy problems with the online component seems to be the major hangup for these PW mods.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Damn good review of that Mystery of Willowbow. I saw it the first time but couldn't muster the effort to download and try it out. But after reading your review I decide to give it a try and enjoyed the setting.

You're right on the swamp. I haven't finished it yet with my Ranger but overall very satisfied. Here's hoping to find more fun mods like these.

Fresh

Erudite
aboyd said:
fraunclein said:
Here's a teaser trailer of the much anticipated Planescape mod thingamabob. Get ready for some pretty graphics, bland writing and thiefling chicks with fancy hair!
Yeah, that was my worry. I'm really unenthusiastic about the dialogues. So far, they seem very standard and by-the-book. I always felt that the dialect of Sigil opened the door for inventive dialogue. Yet in the trailer for this new Planescape mod, the writing is very been-there-done-that. I don't want something strange and fascinating reduced to "the same interactions and same dialogues we've seen in 100 other TV shows."

Having said that, I'll just be happy to have a new Planescape game at all, much less the first of a trilogy. If they get half the stuff right, that will be enough for me to be giddy over it.

Of course, the NWN 1 series of modules, "Tales of Arterra" is what I'd consider to be a truly spiritual successor to PS:T. I defy any NWN 2 module to even come close. I doubt it's possible right now. Maybe in 2008 or 2009, after putting a year or two into the effort.

How would you rate Tales of Arterra as compared to vanilla nwn? To BGII? To PST? (With the exception of length/scope)

aboyd

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
How would you rate Tales of Arterra as compared to vanilla nwn? To BGII? To PST? (With the exception of length/scope)
Hmm. Let's write it out, and see what it looks like.

Arterra vs. NWN 1

Arterra contains much better writing, a much better story, and much more interesting companions. Arterra's battles are fewer in number, but more difficult. I liked that. Some won't. You get no XP for killing things, so even though good effort went into making the fights more hardcore, the game rewards you for trying more cerebral approaches.

For me personally, NWN was a wasted purchase until Tales of Arterra came along.

Arterra vs. BG2

Arterra's opening city contains a turnip salesman, probably a nod to Jan Jensen from BG2. The city is lively, just as the BG2 cities are. Just as Minsc was memorable in BG2, so are the companions in Arterra. You will find Persey to be otherworldly, hard to hold, and maybe perplexing. You will find Monty to be a royal pain in the ass, but if you dig enough, you can learn why.

Arterra's dialogue and writing is better. The story/plot itself, hmm. I found Arterra's story to be way the hell more compelling, but I know a lot of people who will criticize everything about BG2 except the story. Clearly the BG2 story gets respect in some circles.

Arterra is not really trying to be BG3, even though it seems to pay homage. If you're looking for something more like Baldur's Gate, then you really need to just go straight to Darkness Over Daggerford. That module set out to be like BG2, and succeeded, mostly.

Arterra vs. PS:T

Ah. Now here's a good comparison. Planescape: Torment has some of the best game writing ever. It's lengthy, rich, and prolific. Arterra has less text, but it is still very good text. It retains some of the flavor of the PS:T companion dialogue. Arterra rewards peaceful solutions to quests, just as PS:T does. Just as PS:T sets you loose on the planes, so does Arterra. You will end up in Limbo. You will probably barter with demons. You may find yourself just wandering around, happy to be looking at something different from the typical Forgotten Realms city tileset.

What I like about both PS:T and Arterra is the otherworldly feel to it. While both games have standard dungeon adventures, both games also offer some strange environments. Also, the companions in both games share the same heart -- at least for me, I ended up feeling quite attached to them, in the same ways. I felt fiercely loyal. This is something that didn't happen in BG2. When Imoen was kidnapped in BG2, I was like, "Oh, OK, I guess I have to solve that." But Annah? I cared what happened to her. And Persey? Hell yes I will go to the ends of the universe, damnit.

Overall, I'd say that it's a great module. But I'd also say that nowadays there are a lot of modules that are superior to the original NWN 1 campain. Arterra, Daggerford, Kingmaker, Pirates of the Sword Coast, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr -- maybe An Ancient Heart also, as I have it installed still and seem to remember playing it a lot. Tortured Hearts, The Hex Coda, Saleron's Gambit, lots to consider.

aboyd

Liturgist
Tragedy at Tragidor was a highly-rated NWN 1 module that the developer recreated and enhanced for NWN 2. So that module is out now, and plays like a module that had been in development for many, many months. I guess that's the advantage of being a long-term module developer. So that may be a worthwhile module. I won't be able to post a review of it here until late March.

Also, Pool of Radiance (Chapter 1 of 4) is out now. And I still like Avendale -- it has been revised & expanded multiple times by the author. I think it's good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Tragedy at Tragidor is a tragic mod. Overrated. I was done with it within 5 minutes.l Any mod whose npcs have the mantra of 'Not talking to you now' or '99% of doors are locked until a quest opens them." automatically gets terminated by me.

That's the NWN2 version. I cna't remember playing the NWN1 version though I might of. *shrugs*

aboyd

Liturgist
Yeah, I haven't played it. I've just read about it, and I note that it has a rating of 9 over at NW Vault. But I share the same feeling you do about locked doors -- if I play it and review it, that's going to get mentioned if it's at all bothersome.

From the reviews posted at NW Vault, it seems that most people loved it for the story, and were willing to overlook some faults because of that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I didn't get far enough to appreciate the story or even hate it. The design of the first area (the town) was enough to have me move on. Perhaps, I'll go back to it at some later date and give it a second chance.

sheek

Arbiter
What are the best modules for NWN1? I don't have the two expansions yet so I haven't been able to experiment but they've been ordered.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is the Penultima guy doing any mods for NWN2? His mods were the only thing worth having NWN installed on my HD.

I just have not been keeping up with any of his mods for a few years. Or were Obsidian smart and just hired this guy. :D

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Tragedy at Tragidor is a tragic mod. Overrated. I was done with it within 5 minutes.l Any mod whose npcs have the mantra of 'Not talking to you now' or '99% of doors are locked until a quest opens them." automatically gets terminated by me.

That's the NWN2 version. I cna't remember playing the NWN1 version though I might of. *shrugs*

So you should have your lawful good palidin able to walk into anyone's house any time?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bryce, don't be stupid. Of course he should be /able/ to. He would fall from grace if he trespasses willingly, but the option should be there.

Heck, that's one of those C&C things the Codex always babbles about! OF COURSE he should be able to!

Amasius

Augur
Jaesun said:
Is the Penultima guy doing any mods for NWN2? His mods were the only thing worth having NWN installed on my HD.

I just have not been keeping up with any of his mods for a few years. Or were Obsidian smart and just hired this guy. :D
No he dosn't and no they weren't. Bioware tried to hire Gagne some years ago, but he refused. Its a shame, his modules are rare examples of really well done humor in a computer game.

sheek

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
sheek said:
What are the best modules for NWN1? I don't have the two expansions yet so I haven't been able to experiment but they've been ordered.

Don't make me get my list again.

Oh yeah, I remember that, got it saved on HD. So far I've just got some 'Classic PnP conversions' and my dislike for the game engine is receding. I think it was mostly the awful default campaign that soured me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tragic at tragidor was actually the best of the bunch of modules that I've tried. Most of them look and feel like rather bland dungeon slashers, this one felt more of an rpg. Quite balanced, interesting story and locations and some fun quests. Not too deep or involving, but the first mod that managed to feel polished.

In no way would I call it great, but it kept me busy for the short while that I've played around with mods. Got to admit that I've been having too much fun with company of heroes mp and gothic 3 (goddamn, it really is good!) since I've finally been able to get a new pc.

sheek said:
Admiral jimbob said:
sheek said:

Don't make me get my list again.

Oh yeah, I remember that, got it saved on HD. So far I've just got some 'Classic PnP conversions' and my dislike for the game engine is receding. I think it was mostly the awful default campaign that soured me.

I haven't actually tried many PnP conversions, since I never played PnP (no nostalgia value) and most of them seemed to be heavy on the hack-n-slash... though I suppose they'd be better played with a DM.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So you should have your lawful good palidin able to walk into anyone's house any time?"

You should be allowed to do anything. And, yes, that includes having a LG paladin break into other people's houses. Like Jasede pointed out, by doing stuff like that, your paladin shouldn't be a paladin too long. Dumbass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom