Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Glad to see that as the world changes, Codex remains Codex :love:
Just keep up the good work. It is articles like yours that ultimately decide the industry's perception of this place, much more so than whatever is the current consensus among the most edgy and vocal posters.
It is easy to hate on stuff when you're anonymous poster who doesn't need to care about the site's reputation and its relationship with devs and publishers.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Dunno why people assume Infinitron's editorializing is an attempt at covert propaganda and not just overt trolling of the Codex
It's disgusting shilling, that's what it is, I don't care about his motives. It's obvious he wanted to trigger some people and generate more clicks, so? I'm using this news to promote Drog's work, the more exposure it gets the better.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dunno why people assume Infinitron's editorializing is an attempt at covert propaganda and not just overt trolling of the Codex
It's disgusting shilling, that's what it is, I don't care about his motives. It's obvious he wanted to trigger some people and generate more clicks, so? I'm using this news to promote Drog's work, the more exposure it gets the better.
I rate this post "butthurt"...

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
15704.png

"No no, I assure you, everything in this table was implemented with the utmost care to abstract reality and make for good gameplay." Riiiiiight.

OMG lel! :lol: What a moron, as if you could fucking see from that table what the expected damage for a point of ability score is.
Fuck, I gotta dig out the graph for dmg as a function of delta acc in pillars of shit
I think its completely linear from -50 to 0 delta, with something like 0.75 dmg per 1 acc
Then jumps to 1.25 dmg/acc for 0-15 delta, then 0.75 and 0.5 for high values.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never yet found I the woman by whom I would have children, save it be by this Woman that I love: for I love thee, O Eternity!
For I love thee, O Eternity!

This is to be Codex's motto from now on. Extra points from it being a Nietzsche quote, so you'll always get some point from reactionaries for that.

lightbane

Arcane
This shit gets a frontpage review and not the incoming Fallout: Nevada mod? Or the Resurrection one? Or Divinity? Or hell, even Xcom's Piratez! mod, which deserves more publicity?? Regardless of its alleged quality, this is absolute and obviously flawed priorities. Or trolling. :decline::decline:

Will you write another review again, Darth Roxor ? :troll:

almondblight

Arcane
Nonsense, and I'm not particularly a Fallout fanboy. Combat is fine and adapted,

How many encounters do you need to put any thought into? Kane, Mother Deathclaw, Brotherhood rescue mission...and? You can target different parts of the body, but there's usually no point in targeting anything except the eyes once that's viable.

I don't know what you exactly mean by unbalanced character system,

You think tagging first aid and gambling is as useful as tagging energy weapons ans speech? Or useful at all?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You guys need to put yourselves in IEfags' shoes. In their degenerate minds, they desperately want Obsidian to succeed because they want to relive their childhood dreams. If the result is a travesty of a game, they wil find a way to portrait this as a success. They will not let pointless things such as facts get in the way of their agenda. It's wishful thinking in game design. IE games should die in a fire! I still believe that Beamdog can tarnish their reputation irrevocably. In Beamdog we trust!

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
You guys need to put yourselves in IEfags' shoes. In their degenerate minds, they desperately want Obsidian to succeed because they want to relive their childhood dreams. If the result is a travesty of a game, they wil find a way to portrait this as a success. They will not let pointless things such as facts get in the way of their agenda. It's wishful thinking in game design.

I love it when you speak about agendas, Iron Tower fanboy :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You guys need to put yourselves in IEfags' shoes. In their degenerate minds, they desperately want Obsidian to succeed because they want to relive their childhood dreams. If the result is a travesty of a game, they wil find a way to portrait this as a success. They will not let pointless things such as facts get in the way of their agenda. It's wishful thinking in game design.
I am IE fag and I think this review is shit. PoE is not half the game IE games were.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I would like to thank Grunker for his review. It's immense.

I never liked or played the BG and IWD games, still haven't and maybe never will.

Despite owning all the originals and various updates since then - including all the enhanced versions now on GOG.

I agree that D&D rule set is very limiting and to my mind works okay for dungeon crawlers or blobbers. It's for this very reason I skipped the IE set and jumped onto Arena/ Daggerfall and Morrowind.

I quite loved PoE though. Maybe it was modern and accessible, maybe due to the changes wanted by Sawyer.

Grunker has encouraged me to buy the two expansion packs as well and I look forward to them.

Bravo!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You think tagging first aid and gambling is as useful as tagging energy weapons ans speech? Or useful at all?
I don't know any RPGs where all skills are equally useful, do you? It should be obvious that some skills are more useful than others but that doesn't mean that using other skills is pointless. Playing Unarmed is cool AF for example and is essential for someone who wants to play as a brawler/melee master. Throwing isn't that bad either and first aid and doctor are very useful assuming we don't save scum (otherwise you can heal a crippled limb or other injuries even with very low skill). Same goes for lockpicking or gambling. Try to use these skills while having them at less than 100% and not using the load feature.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

If this was mere trolling Cuckitron would not have blocked the early (negative) reviews of PoE , and now insist on re-re-re-reviewing PoE until it becomes a 11/10 review.

In case you haven't noticed, this thread was created and pinned on frontpage in a desperate attempt to change public opinion before the launch of PoE2.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Cant find my graph. I had it generalized mathematically. Redid it in dirty, its good enough.

Behold! THE CORE element of PoS! The Fundamental gay of it! All its cistems stem from this '''balanced''' retardo.
A millennial design through and trhough! Eryone gets a trophy! Casters and Fightas! Weak and stronk!

JgDohbE.png

If your Accuracy equals the enemy Deflection, delta acc == 0, you get a 50% chance to hit displayed in the game. It means no Crits and an average dmg of 0.675 if a full hit were a 1.
Its left to the reader to figure out if pushing delta acc above +15 makes sense...
Also, it shows how grazes (soft counters yay) equalize every encounter to brute spam. You will still do linearly reduced damage.
No flat damage reduction in the base game reaches significant levels to make you switch your damage types.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
This kicked a hornets nest.

Seems early for a retrospective in my mind. Plus, I viewed this more of a review of the White March. Although the vanilla content has the benefit of the class and item changes, the questing and zones still lack the coherency of the White March.

pressively coded mages will sling a multitude of spells that change dynamically depending on your own combat actions and, if you are good enough, you will face off against two dragons AND an archmage (I had to give up on that one and solve it through dialogue – making it the only fight in Pillars I have not beat).

For shame Grunker! That was the highlight of the expansion in my opinion, along with the Eyeless fights. You should finish it if you ever get the chance. My only complaint is that the archmage paled in comparison to the dragons (Pallengina's flame spell, plus Priest spell spam takes the archmage down a.s.a.p.). Plus, I am sure Prime Junta figured an easy way to deal with that fight.

Going off topic for a moment.

Grunker's ok, but ban Infinitron, seriously.
If not for Crooked Bee Infinitron wouldn't have that much influence. Someone has to approve these shit news and allow for inXile/Obsidian spam (plus high-profile Kickstarter spams for games with budgets 1 M $ and more), if you ask me that someone is the main culprit and the reason that this site is becoming another IGN/NeoGaf.And yeah, I know that Tron has the privileges to approve any news he chooses but that's what I'm talking about, normally after such spam these privileges would be revoked.

And seriously, the Arcanum thing has pissed me off and news/articles like these just rub salt in the wound. Let me quote Drog:

Back in the day there was a 100 page thread for the UAP alone and all this shit used to get news posts. I messaged Infinitron when the new high resolution patch was about to be released, politely suggesting that maybe this deserves a mention in the news section. He didn't deign to respond. Oh well, I guess the endless Kickstarter/Obsidian/InXile updates are more important than some old ass shitty Troika game.
And you know why that was the case? Because Shillfinitron wasn't even on the Codex then (let alone being in charge of the news).

I am a behind on this obviously, but I am surprised. I would think arcanum news would make it to the forefront, although I cannot say for certain without knowing what Drog submitted.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have nothing against trying to get away from the DnD style system of rules. "Every stat should be useful" sounds fine in theory but they never properly set these stats apart from their DnD counterparts. Might is still just strength as far as the game is concerned, so my weedy level 2 wizard was able to flip over tables due to his strength might score and that shit killed my suspension of disbelief right away.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You need to see the bigger picture. Cuckitron blocked the early (negative) reviews of PoE , and is insisting on re-re-re-reviewing PoE until it becomes a 11/10 review.

This thread was created and pinned on frontpage in a desperate attempt to change public opinion before the launch of PoE2.
I rate this post "Meh"...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom