Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 7, 2015.

1. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    I did another walkthrough, can't make a video because my laptop is barely good for running AoD at lowest settings, so I just make screenshots(did waste a lot of time for this, so you better enjoy it)
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    Good stuff.

^ Top  
  3. Akratus Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole Patron

Akratus
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    YES!

YOUR RPG IS VERY, VERY GOOD!

Show Spoiler
    FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    makiavelli747

I appreciate the effort you put in all this, but everything I said stands. This build sure is viable, but it is not optimal. Not by a long shot. Here is why:

- CS 5 in early Maadoran means you missed the opportunity to get 10 CS training from Neleos instead of a free CS point. That explains why you feel 10 CS is needed late game. Hint: don't do the spies quest before you reached CS 6. Sure, leveling CS all the way up to 6 hurts your early game, but you'll be thankful once you save 55 SPs later on. You also missed CS training from some dialogues.
    - Perception 4 means you can forget about arterial strikes and Aimed: Torso. Daggers can't use Aimed: Head so every time you go for an opponent's head (via arterial strike) you're taking a huge CS penalty. Also goes to explain why you feel CS 10 is needed. It is not...
    - Bumping your dagger skill from 7 to 9 and sword to 2 costs 50 SP. That's the exact amount of SPs you needed to bump your crafting skill to 6. With 6 crafting you could add Balanced (+9 THC) and Serrated edge (+10CS) to your dagger, which is roughly the THC and CS effect for 1 point in dagger and one point in critical strike. So out of your 50 SP investment, crafting would simply "refund" 40 (25 that you paid to go Dagger 8 -> 9 and 15 you would have to pay to go CS 5-> 6). Oukay, a little less than that because you're not getting the passive. When you add the fact that crafting 6 would also allow you to craft a Steel Manica with only 4 armor penalty AND the 3 extra base damage from sharpening AND would allow you to craft a Steel Praetor Helmet with no THC penalty, well...it becomes fairly obvious that you chose poorly... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    - Alternatively, those 50 SPs could've been used to go crafting 4 / alchemy 4, saving 10 SPs in the process. This option is cheaper and gives you access to better poison and berserker potion, which has great synergy with your high strength + high weapon skill.
    - Either way, leaving dagger at 7 would've resulted in a much better character.

TL; DR: Weapon 7 is more than enough for early Maadoran. Raising it to 9 that early is costly and yields no tangible benefits.

And to put the nail in the coffin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my latest assassin build: Kitemus the Impaler. As you can see, this was also taken right after arriving in Maadoran. And despite the fact that Kitemus is a Hybrid build, he has almost the same attack rating at Weapon 6 :)lol::lol::lol:), better defense (if you disregard the difference in armor penalty since he is using a Lorica Musculata), much higher DR, MUCH higher CS rating (like...68?! WTF!? You're like 2 skill levels behind and then some), better lockpick, higher sneak (sneak 3 pays for itself)...the list goes on.

By the way, I'm uploading a video showcasing this very build. Spear CS is an incredibly fun (and powerful) build that everyone should try. Shoving a spear through Agatoth's gut is incredibly rewarding :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    ^ Top  
  5. TigerKnee Prophet

TigerKnee
    What is this, pictures for ants?

^ Top  
  6. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    first of all, I wrote CS 8-10, not 10, for a reason.
    with +60 cs from passive its obvious you don't need 10
    I know but I still can crit a lot of people w/o helmets, and you can see on screenshots i'd 30% on full armored Aurelian guy so % is not actually that bad(don't forget I had daggers 10!)
    trust me, I did like 100 runs with daggers build, with craft, alchemy and everything in between. I know all this stuff.
    a dagger you get from trader in the beginning of Maadoran is much better at this time, than any selfcrafted for this specific build(+26 thc). then, if you really want crafted things, you can get blue steel 4/4/4 lvl crafted dagger from Gaelius for 15 SP.

at least you are not saying i'm amazingly stupid anymore...

anyway, did some more... I did want to get to Gaelius first, just to show you the dagger and then get back to replay in other way, that's why i skipped arena and didn't make screenshots on the way, but then I was too lazy to come back.

this shows pretty much everything for this build anyway, possible final stats and all, so I think no reason for more

Show Spoiler

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last AG fight is so easy you can just rush them like a maniac. Demon is very strong for this build, so you probably should get PA first, or use potions/reloads.

^ Top  
  7. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    he's paying for this by -20HP, that's huge actually. if you want high THC you can do a fighter with 10 perception
    actually, dagger fighter 4-10-8-10-4-4 would be stronger than yours, but he would really benefit from high crafting instead of high weapon skill
    8 vs 5 ?? well, I don't know... if I want high DR I would use 10AP crafted steel armor from last AG quest(-1 or -2 AP is no big deal, as long as you have 1st move anyway, I actually used successfully 9 AP armor with 12 AP build and always had 1st move), but I think its not a big deal.. kinda small tradeoff and just that
    68+50, but for aimed attacks I need even more THC

I think you don't understand why when I have perception 4 I should really go for high weapon skill.... its because aimed attacks goes with even more THC penalty, that's why you either put a passive ability to a good use or stats like str/per for high crit chance

^ Top  
  8. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    What an interesting discussion to follow! Thank you both guys for insightful comments and build ideas.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    and this! I spent 60 SP for CS 8(25 SP for CS 4, then 15 SP for up to 6 and 20 for 7), and by the end had 128 cs rating (also because of crafted dagger(plus some trainings I miss, don't care about because I was doing fast run anyway.. no reason for maxing everything out))
    but the thing is, you will get from Teron training only +10 CS anyway, either from skill increase or just training, but having CS skill at higher lvl will help in text adventures

in general, there is no big deference if you playing for AG or any other guild, because Thiefs, for example, have melee training also 10 points in Teron. so by playing for TG you can invest less in weapon skill and more in CS and have a same stats as playing AG.
    this type of things are pretty much balanced. of course, you can begin for assassins, get their trainings and then switch to IG to get their "freebies"

^ Top  
  10. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    1080p screenshot. I think it's something with your monitor or phone (or eyes...maybe they need some stabbing. I can help with that :desu:).

That's what I said from the beggining. Glad to see you came around. :martini:

Your THC goes sky high when combining arbiter and high weapon skill. Again, you would be MUCH better served by going dagger 7 and alchemy, if you really think crafting is not worth it. In fact...that build might be pretty strong.

The formula for both Aimed: Head and Arterial Strike is [(Stat - 6) - (enemyCON - 6)] * 5. Suppose you're attacking a dude with 6 CON. Your current build results in a 10% penalty to CS (4-6)*5. If you were using a weapon capable of doing Aimed: head (like a spear) you would enjoy a 20% bonus instead. That's 30 CS rating, 3 levels of CS skill right there, possibly 75 SPs. I've said it many times and I'll say it again: viable, but subpar. :obviously:

He is a hybrid. That's part of the beauty of AoD's system: a fully dedicated combat character will ALWAYS be better at fighting than a hybrid.

No it wouldn't. Dumping STR is a very bad idea, since STR is necessary for Aimed: arms and not to mention the damage. If I were to make a full combat assassin, I'd probably go for a spear with 10-10-8-4-4-4 stats. Don't know. I'm planning on recording a new Ironman game anyway, so that's some decent food for thought. :)

60% increase. Math, bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I understand perfectly, which is why I avoid said build. I used PER 4 in my ironman run because I was going for axes and no CS, so the THC penalty was not a big deal. When going for daggers, perception is nothing short of mandatory.

Nope. 17 actually. 70% more :troll:

The only CS check that requires more than 8 CS is for killing Hamza. And why would you do that!?!? :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Yes, yes there is. Because that 30 CS training is what allows you to keep your CS skill at only 8, thus avoiding the 55 SP cost to bump it to 10. Without it you'll have to either invest more SPs into CS OR accept the fact that every time a guy shows up in Imperial Armor + helmet you won't be able to crit him reliably.

Yet no brofists on either side. Math nerds get bullied. Even in the Codex :negative:

Don't get used to it :smug:.

Show Spoiler
    I'm joking. The truth is I've spent the last couple of days on a Steam Crusade against idiots downvoting AoD and Underrail in their reviews because "combat2hard. Would not recommend". I've read every stupid argument imaginable, countered bullshit with good old math and created a fair amount of :butthurt: among steam reviewers. But these things take their toll. I'm tired and a lot edgier than usual. I'll stop the name calling, but I'll argue until page 47 that 9 weapon skill by early Maadoran is a huge waste of SP. You can count on that. :cool:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    That was all interesting info, guys. Keep at it. Good job, Eyestabber

^ Top  
  12. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    again, look at that dagger - it has +21 for aimed attacks, +30 CS. With daggers 10 I had +81 for aimed attacks, then plus 128 CS rating, then +/- str/per. its already more than enough(200+ CS chance), but to be able to actually hit every single attack, I need huge THC now.
    check the screenshots again! I had 89% crit arterial on Demon.

you just need to use deferent tactics. with this build you will crit arterial every single attack ignoring opponents armor
    if you never tried dagger with 4 str 10 per, then you don't know how powerful arterial strikes can be.

its just another category.
    but the point was, I could also go with perception 8 instead con 8, and then I would had 125 THC after Teron instead 105.
    that would allow me to forget about hitting legs, just arms and arterial instead
    if I were using spear, I would lose passive effect from daggers, so in this situation is 81-30= I would actually lost 51 CS if I were hitting in the head

^ Top  
  13. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    as I said, I've spent only 60 SP for CS 8, and I don't need any more. in fact, I could have even 6 or 7 investing only 25-40 SP.
    but you will spent 95 SP for CS 8

look at log window, its 10 (also before and after)
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

^ Top  
  14. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    so, for those of you who still interested, here is much better build
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've checked "ironman" video again, and can say that with this build a lot of fights would be much easier(for example, I'd killed Galbrio losing about 10HP without using alchemy(although I could)). I was wrong when I said 6 or 7 crit would be enough... 5 is enough. Killing boatmans in Teron is excellent choice which provides a lot of nice daggers and armor.
    Raising alchemy/crafting up to 4/4 in Maadoran is a good idea, actually. The other thing, worth to mention, is to use deferent daggers for deferent attacks. The large one, have better crit% for arms/legs, and small for arterials. In the end I had a lot of extra SPs I don't really need, because of dagger passive being so good you don't really need crit skill. probably, its a best weapon in game. Well, maybe throwing weapons are little bit better, because being able to kill Zamedi Demon in early Maadoran, arena champion in first two rounds, is also really cool.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    ^ Top  
  15. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    What are the 2 points in etiquette good for in this playthrough?

^ Top  
  16. makiavelli747 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter

makiavelli747
    Cassius training

^ Top  
  17. LusciousPear Savant

LusciousPear
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It feels like having an experienced designer and writer on staff would have helped immensely. But bootstrapping that is hard.

Having good taste doesn't instantly make you a good creator (or people woulda bought my music).

v. much looking forward to the Generation Ship RPG tho.

^ Top  
  18. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    How so?

^ Top  
  19. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    I guess he's talking about something related to design and writing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    That's my guess too. That's why I asked how so.

^ Top  
  21. kwanzabot Cipher Shitposter

kwanzabot
    this game is soo amazing but i wish i doesnt have to reload so much -_- but i am have fun :)

^ Top  
  22. Skall Learned

Skall
    I liked the review and the amount of detail that went into it, e.g., the lack of small-talk and its effects on conversational flow. In fact, it convinced me to not only check out AoD, but also to register on RPGCodex after sporadic bouts of lurking.

And, of course, congrats on getting the game out after all these years, Vince!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    At the time of writing, there are over 700 comments in the undertale review thread and less than 300 in this thread, respectively.

:negative:

^ Top  
  24. Jim the Dinosaur Arcane

Jim the Dinosaur
    A significant amount of posts in the Undertale thread involve AoD though while so far I think only your post in this thread involves Undertale, which is something your calculation should, properly, take into account imho.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  25. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    What Jim said.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)