Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sea's (Mostly Technical) Skyrim Initial Impressions

hoopy

Savant
Gord said:
Commissar Draco said:
And BTW first mods are out to get rid of winkles, scars and dirt... Skyrim is not fagosexual enough for young Kwans. :smug:

I say fuck them. I play with my wrinkly Dunmer Jensen and am proud of it. Finaly a game again where the heroes don't look like they spend the last week in some fucking beauty salon.
The real problem is that the women don't look like women, especially the elves. I think the default breton is the only one that looks clearly like a woman.

Gord

Arcane
You mean they don't look like anime versions of japanese schoolgirls? :M

Okay, I'm posting my impressions in this thread and be done with it.

The first things I notice are that there's no options until you start the game, and the mouse lags terribly. I find it weird that the mouse cursor doesn't work very well in the menus, it sort of just refuses to work and you have to use WASD. To me this says it was designed primarily for gamepads.

I don't listen to anything anybody says on the intro, I just note that I probably could leap off the chart and run to the mountains and have a pretty good chance of escaping, the terrain doesn't look like you could maneuver a horse well there. But I can't move. When the dragon appears, some bitch says something like "Scouts, what do you see?" when the dragon is right there on a house.

I try to steal everything while the dragon is attacking, but nobody wants to get me off my ropes. I could probably cut them on something sharp or even burn them, but whatever. I have to jump... somewhere, I try it a few times but I always get stuck on invisible walls. Ok. So when I finally get to kill something, I note that there's not that much to the combat, and I don't see the use of a shield at least yet, you can't just block and swing, instead you block and then your opponent hits you again. Mkay. Hitting with bows isn't easy for some reason.

So when I get out of the intro dungeon, I try to kill the guy I escaped with, but he's immortal, of course. Story-important, a shame I didn't listen to a thing he said. Or maybe not, I have my journal.

I kill some hunter in the woods and steal her horse and stuff. Well the horse starts going somewhere whenever I dismount it, I don't know what's that all about but I can't tie it anywhere so I try to kill it. For some reason it has massive hitpoints and when I start hitting it it starts to slowly zig-zag. I have no idea what's that about, but I swing at it a plenty of times, raise my one-handed skill perhaps five levels when it finally runs away. 'K. I'm at some mill, I kill all the chickens and the inhabitants to raise my skill even further.

I should say that I die a plenty, I play on highest difficulty and while it's cheap that everything has higher hitpoints and damage than you, at least it adds a sense of danger to wandering around.

I also note that I can find only iron equipment until I level a few times, then steel equipment starts appearing. Okay...

I get to some town with "The biggest graveyard in all Skyrim". Well the graveyard is maybe thirty to fifty graves. Maybe these people don't bury their dead that much. I notice that everybody repeats their line with maybe three seconds delay. So in the bar that orc says "you look like you drink milk" or some stupid shit like that over and over again so I try to kill him, sadly I still can't get a sense of what the hell is the blocking useful for because you can't do shit while doing it. I also don't like how the bow does shit damage, what use is a bow if it doesn't even slow your opponent down? You have twenty arrows sticking out of you and it doesn't even matter. And it's not easy to hit these fuckers while they are running around. I notice that if you climb on a rock and shoot some bears, they go berserk and run into a village and start killing people. Heh.

When I finally find a magic armor, it's shit. It gives some 15% magical bonus to some skill I don't use, and it has the same armor rating as what I already use. The magic ring at least gives bonus to lockpicking, the fucking shitty minigame I already hated in Fallout 3.

What I'm saying is that I smell level scaling. It doesn't stop you from running into impossible fights, but I haven't been able to find anything good. 'Cept potions, they heal instantly so they're useful.

Anybody know if you can assign your swords and such to hotkeys? I couldn't make sense out of it.

The graphics are nice enough for me, not TW2 level but they're okay. At least the people don't look like mutant rubber camels. The music is really fucking boring and the sound effects aren't that good either.

There's still no climbing skill, which is so weird to me in this kind of a game.

You can pretty much shoot at anybody you see in the wilderness, chances are they are bandits who never even try to extort you for money, they just attack.

There's no whores, so I couldn't roleplay my character, Pilluhaukka (Pussyhawk). :(

Heresiarch

Prophet
lolol apparently as any TES game must be, Skyrim is once again broken to hell with legit ingame exploits, mostly with enchantment involved.

On one hand the classic Morrowind "spam skill potions and then enchant stuff" exploit is back, and this time you can make daggers which can do 4k-ish damage with the exploit. Mage players are all crying out that warriors and assassins can have god like weapons to one shot dragons while themselves are stuck with static spell damage.

On the other hand the classic Daggerfall "use enchantments to increase your magic skill over 100% and all spells cost only 5 magicka" exploit is back and better than ever. Now you just need to get 100 (some guy reported 80 is sufficient) enchantment skill and then enchant four pieces of stuff with fortifying a spell skill. Each piece will give a 25% reduction which means your selected school cost zero magicka to cast. Warrior players are whining over this as mages can (and more or less must) use this mechanism to spam unlimited spells to chaingun down anything down with zero cost.

So yeah, in Skyrim, warriors have god slaying blades of awesomeness to butcher dragons while mages have infinite magicka to spam everything from infernos and lightning bolts to paralyze and summonings. Scary place.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Okay, I'm posting my impressions in this thread and be done with it.

The first things I notice are that there's no options until you start the game, and the mouse lags terribly.
Turn off Vsync or turn off AA and AF.

Fix mouse lag by disabling vsync in Skyrim.ini
- Add iPresentInterval=0 under the [Display] section
Anybody know if you can assign your swords and such to hotkeys? I couldn't make sense out of it.
Favourite them, then bring up the favourite menu with 'Q' then hover over the item and press a number.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I said:
Blocking with a two-hander should not be as effective as with a shield.

Then villain of the story said:
Why not? It's called fucking blocking. You either block or you do not.

I'll deal with the rest of your paragraph below, but I wanted to clear this up first: You are saying that all forms of blocking in this game should be identical? In your view, sword & board should equal two-hander in terms of negating enemies' attacks/mitigating their damage? Did I get that right?

Then why in the fuck would you ever choose anything other than a two-hander? I must be missing something in your point; please clarify that for me.

Now for the rest:

This "absorb more/less damage" approach is boring grindy bullshit.

I can't imagine anything more boring and grindy than two combatants wailing on each others' shields or swords absorbing all damage every time. You should be able to wear an opponent down, even one with a shield, if you hit them hard enough and enough times. The participant with the most skill, the best equipment, and the most stamina should win. It seems like that's the way it is with Skyrim.

And this time around, we are given even an attack to attempt to break an opponent's block (shield/block bash).

I've read this sentence several times and I can't understand what you're saying unless there is some perk in the game I haven't seen yet that is a block-breaker. That sounds cool and dangerous at the same time, since my character is a S&B'er.

But wait, stamina is also a more involved matter now, factoring into combat so blocking could just as well consume stamina (as well as with regular attacks, except not as big a stamina hit as power attacks) and you could simply start failing to block anything with depleted stamina, turning combat into a far more tactical and elaborate affair.

To be honest, I haven't watched closely enough to see whether my stamina's going down with every block attempt yet. I hope it is, and if it's not, then I'm going to add whatever mod comes out that does, so we agree here.

So why still stick to the same old shit?

If I'm not mistaken, Morrowind used the 100% effective block thing, right? Then they went away from that with Oblivion and now Skyrim? So it's not the same old shit. Needs more improving, sure, but as Trash pointed out (and most people are realizing), the combat as it is is rather exhilarating and visceral.

Your post is schizophrenic, though. Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with my points, other than on our disagreeing about swords and shields being equal defensive options.

Gerrard

Arcane
Crispy said:
You should be able to wear an opponent down, even one with a shield, if you hit them hard enough and enough times.
Blocking should use stamina. If you have no stamina and block you get knocked down.
Wow, that was fucking hard.

Are you Bethesda's gameplay designer/programmer by any chance?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Uh, we agree on that point. Maybe try reading my post again?

What's with you people? Are you all ESL or something?

No wonder Volourn lost his/her mind years ago trying to argue RPG's on this site. FFS!

Gerrard

Arcane
What you were saying is that it's good that you still take damage while blocking. Which it fucking isn't.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I actually never said that. You may think I somehow implied it but the words themselves reflect that I'm a fan of endurance becoming depleted while blocking, not necessarily JUST health.

Although I think a small amount of health should, as well. That makes sense to me, in that it represents your character's shield arm and other parts of his body receiving partial impact.

Also, why so prickly? Chill, dude. I know you love this game, too. ;)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
villain of the story said:
Dragons do sweeping attacks while flying or stop mid-air to shower you with fire. Actually I haven't seen one land just to attack until it has lost 25+% of its HP (and obviously, stop flying completely when it drops to 50-%).
So in other words melee characters are fucked?

No, I've never had a sweep, they all land at full health and happily sit there as I whack 'em with my warhammer barely getting three attacks on me before they die.

crufty

Arcane
Bows are pretty effective. Maybe one of most effective weapons in the game. For me anyway. However, you can't melee with them. With distance and sneak, they are very lethal with the right perk progression. I one shot monsters that make sense. Get em in the head for more damage.

My archery haracter has faired very poorly against dragons. While plunking one, it landed at almost full health, killed my horse, breathed fire at me, taking me down to almost nothinng. Then it bit and threw me in the air.

On save scumm I hopped on top of "lucky" and high tailed it out.

I don't have a problem with shield block taking damage. Kinetic energy passing thru the shield. Also it makes the game a challenge. can't sit there and hold l1 all day.

Doesn't block use stanima? I thought it did.

I like how weapons don't insta switch. It means I have to plan my weapon changes. A good thing. If the game made me actually drink potions this game would be super hard core, because insta potion and crazy ai abuse is the only way I've survived a few battles. Plus I ran out of arrows, which for an archery based character made for a tough as nails fight va a boss character. I never once felt like though it was unwinnable. Just that I needed to try different t tactics

Overall good things. Could change, but I like this game much better then morrowind. A good thing.

daggerfall didn't have as strong a main plot line but had difficult dungeons and many other gameplay elements we may never see again. .

Difficulty wise skyrim is not nearly as murderous as wiz seven.

Overall npcs drop like flies, just like I do.

My horse seems to have a death wish. Or it's just fiercely loyal. Or Imperial? That would be crazy if horses had factions.

Rhalle

Magister
Doesn't block use stanima? I thought it did.

It did in Oblivion, I think, right? In Skyrim the sheild bash does use stamina-- lots of it, actually.

Difficulty wise skyrim is not nearly as murderous as wiz seven.

On highest level difficulty-- playing solo as an all-melee character-- it's rough, real rough.

It's a potion-fest if you don't take a companion, and downright impossible sometimes. Minibosses with 2h-weapons literally were getting one-shot fatality kills on me with 150-ish HPS.

The difference between Master and Expert lvl difficulty is rolling up your enemies vs. impossible, in my experience so far.

Regarding Oblivion's blocking, at 25+ skill you don't get fatigued anymore, and after 50 the shield / weapon isn't damaged by blocking anymore (parrying?). Additionally:

You block 75% of a hit when using a shield, at Master level skill, 50% if blocking with a weapon. If you block 75% of the damage with a shield, and have an armor rating of 85%, then the actual end damage delivered to your hitpoints is 1*0.25*0.15 = 3.75% of the original hit.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Raghar said:

Ah, I wondered if someone else was experiencing this. I just thought I'd been too ambitious with settings and was slowly scaling back.

Thought I'd note that the guy who does the ENB enhancer has been working on a patch for some of these problems:

http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

I put his latest version (4 at the moment) in my Skyrim install folder and it completely wiped out the freezes. Everything is running very smoothly.

Rhalle said:
The difference between Master and Expert lvl difficulty is rolling up your enemies vs. impossible, in my experience so far.

Master difficulty made my first dragon kill at the Western Tower a hell of an experience, though. I was forced to raise fallen guards as zombies just to keep a solid amount of pressure on him in between whatever elemental magic I had lined up.

Raghar said:

Ah, I wondered if someone else was experiencing this. I just thought I'd been too ambitious with settings and was slowly scaling back.

Thought I'd note that the guy who does the ENB enhancer has been working on a patch for some of these problems:

I put his latest version (4 at the moment) in my Skyrim install folder and it completely wiped out the freezes. Everything is running very smoothly.
Hell yeah it works, finally! Cheers Genma!

PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:
Raghar said:

Hell yeah it works, finally! Cheers Genma!

I'm just glad the game doesn't act like my video card is dying anymore. Had me paranoid.

MCA
Crispy said:
I'll deal with the rest of your paragraph below, but I wanted to clear this up first: You are saying that all forms of blocking in this game should be identical? In your view, sword & board should equal two-hander in terms of negating enemies' attacks/mitigating their damage? Did I get that right?

Then why in the fuck would you ever choose anything other than a two-hander? I must be missing something in your point; please clarify that for me.

Avoiding injury? Yes. Identical? No. Ideally, the difference is the ability to counter-attack, a riposte. You could block and bash with a shield and possibly do a few other moves but with a sword, you could perform a counter-attack. That's also the core of swordsmanship. People don't "block" or "parry" shit with weapons (though they may "end up" parrying nonetheless) because every move is a direct or an indirect attack so if you just attempt to stop an incoming blow but do not, at the same time, try to perform a counter-attack, your opponent will and he will breach your defense. So, using a sword alone, whether a one or two-hander, is more in the realm of finesse.

Shield tolerates a bigger margin for error and allows just stopping a blow "passively" and safely. Also, better defense against multiple opponents.

In a game, the difference between a shield & sword, a one-hander alone or a two-hander would be different parameters for mobility, reach, speed, stamina depletion, the chance of a shield breaking or a combatant without a shield being disarmed and possibly a few more options.

This "absorb more/less damage" approach is boring grindy bullshit.

I can't imagine anything more boring and grindy than two combatants wailing on each others' shields or swords absorbing all damage every time. You should be able to wear an opponent down, even one with a shield, if you hit them hard enough and enough times. The participant with the most skill, the best equipment, and the most stamina should win. It seems like that's the way it is with Skyrim.

I can. Whether the player is given the options to just wear an opponent down to death while also wearing himself down, or work around his defence and deal injuries with least strain on himself, also called tactics.

What happens in Skyrim is, it doesn't matter if you have the highest skill or the best armor and shield or whatever. Opponents will always get through your defence, so it's only a little bit better (in an RPG context) than a fightan game like Mortal Kombat.

And this time around, we are given even an attack to attempt to break an opponent's block (shield/block bash).

I've read this sentence several times and I can't understand what you're saying unless there is some perk in the game I haven't seen yet that is a block-breaker. That sounds cool and dangerous at the same time, since my character is a S&B'er.

If you shield bash a blocking enemy a few times, his block will break and you will have an opportunity to hit him.

So why still stick to the same old shit?

If I'm not mistaken, Morrowind used the 100% effective block thing, right? Then they went away from that with Oblivion and now Skyrim? So it's not the same old shit. Needs more improving, sure, but as Trash pointed out (and most people are realizing), the combat as it is is rather exhilarating and visceral.

"The same old" shit in the context of games in general as that's the most popular and prevalent implementation of it in games.

My problem with combat is that it's an exhilaratingly and viscerally clunky mess that lacks tact and finesse. It's challenging but it's also banal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom