Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Simultaneous turns on tactics game

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
That's even worse. Please stop a second, reread the thread, watch that gif and think about it so you understand.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think you are confused about what the word "turn" means.

I watched your gif and it looked to me how I described it in this post here.

I took "Simultaneous Turns" to mean both players input their actions on a "turn" then you watch all the actions play out at the same time.

You are just playing semantics with words at this point and it confused me. Your game is turned based even if you don't want to call it that.

Then you started talking about:

What my game wants to do is too complex to use that same system, I can't create a 10-second round where skills are supposed to interact between them in timing (spiderweb into oil into fireball, D&D's oldest combo, or stun into hookshot for Dota fans).

Then make the video for the round longer than 10 seconds.

I'm not sure where you are going with this but I'll leave you too it as I don't seem to be helping you understand that your game is turn based. You either want both players to input their actions then watch a short video of the results or you want a real time game. You may have some variation of RTS or Turn based in mind (like phase based combat for example) but you haven't described anything like that so far.

Either way, I don't think I can help you because you seem so hostile to my interpretation of your idea which has been described thus far as turn based.

Good luck

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've been trying to politely explain that your input is terrible, but apparently it's time to be blunt. You told me to use Final Fantasy Tactics "queue" because "I don't know programming but computers are fast right?" which gives an insight of your knowledge of the subject of design and programming. Jackshit.

The source code is available here. Feel free to go through the several high-efficiency ability queues I'm using. The path is WartricksProject / WartricksProject / wartricks / src / com / wartricks / components / ActionSequence.java and the systems to process them are here: WartricksProject / WartricksProject / wartricks / src / com / wartricks / systems / OnExecuteTurnSystem.java

Now please, have the guts again to tell me again I don't know what a turn-based game is when I prototyped three different ones in three weeks, from scratch.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
Agreed, I don't see any advantage of that "flamberge" prototype over RTwP. (But then again, I like many RTwP games)

On a more general note, people have played around with the idea of simultaneity for decades (and maybe longer). The old playstation game Vandal Hearts II springs to mind. In the far reaches of tabletop gaming, there was a Napoleonic tabletop wargame in 60s-80's that was pretty popular in the US called "Column, Line and Square" that used simultaneous movement by means of written orders and marked maps. I'm aware of no examples of this kind of system that aren't complete clusterfucks.

I think the best way to incorporate simultaneity into turn-based games is to have a conventionally turn-based movement phase followed up by a simultaneous action phase (note that it need not be truly simultaneous, initiative-order works too, the important thing is that orders are given without knowledge of what the other side's actions will be). This way you keep all the advantages of a phase-based system (i.e. I choose whether to shoot the orc shaman without knowing whether he will attempt to cast a spell or not) and can still have a nice positional game of maneuver in the movement phase.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Someone has gone and done it
Looks like RTwP from here. With fixed time between pauses.
Well, that's what Frozen Synapse is minus the turn engagements that made you shootout until end of turn or death of one party. Notice the almost instakills here too.

The problem was translating the concept into a hex board with durable characters while keeping it interesting or fun. Like slo-mo Magicka.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom